Seahawks Rule! AKA Official NFL Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='zionoverfire']Realistically I could easily see a super bowl without either team in it.[/QUOTE]

An interesting scenario. Okay, so let's go with it and say that both Indy and Seattle are eliminated; who goes to the Super Bowl in their stead?

I'm saying Chicago versus New England. And I'm being as objective as possible as a Bears fan, not to let that cloud my prediction. I firmly believe that, taking Seattle out of the equation and letting us play the Divisional Round and Conference Title game at home, you might as well punch our ticket to Detroit. As for New England, I've learned not to doubt them despite definite strong pushes from BOTH wildcard teams, not to mention the quietest of all the first-round byes, Denver.

What about you fellows? Indy and Seattle are out; who's in the big dance?

I already have both teams not going to the big dance. Why? Just a gut feeling for the Colts and the Seahawks not being good enough. I have in the super bowl probably from the NFC Carolina or Tampa Bay (I know Simms is their QB but he's doing a very good job) and from the AFC my super bowl pick the Pats or Broncos.

Hail to the Redskins I say!

I think they have a decent shot. They beat Seattle and Chicago already so they at least have a chance. Their defense has to be a lot better than it was against the Eagles though. I still think Seattle will probably make it though. They have the best overall team IMO. I am not ready to hop on the Rex Grossman bandwagon like some of these sportscasters are doing.

What is this? Steve Smith is the co-winner of the Comeback Player of the Year award with Bruschi? Is this a joke? Sure, Steve Smith came back from a broken leg, I'm sure he's worked to come back. But, come on. This is a stroke we're talking about here. A broken bone just doesn't seem very signifigant compared to that.

Also, what is about Brady being 3rd in the MVP voting? The Pats would have started 1-7 without him, he carried the team. The award has become something that they give to who they think is the 'best' player, not how it should be, the Most Valuable. You put an average RB in Seattle, they're ok. You put an average QB in Indy, they're ok. You put an average QB on the Pats this year, they're looking at a top 10 pick in the draft. Other years, they'd be ok in the regular season. There were times when he was literally the only starter left on offense.

About the Jags... Good team, they're probably being written off a little too fast, and it won't be an easy game. But they're not a team that can go into Foxboro in January and beat the Patriots.

[quote name='dafoomie']What is this? Steve Smith is the co-winner of the Comeback Player of the Year award with Bruschi? Is this a joke? Sure, Steve Smith came back from a broken leg, I'm sure he's worked to come back. But, come on. This is a stroke we're talking about here. A broken bone just doesn't seem very signifigant compared to that.

Also, what is about Brady being 3rd in the MVP voting? The Pats would have started 1-7 without him, he carried the team. The award has become something that they give to who they think is the 'best' player, not how it should be, the Most Valuable. You put an average RB in Seattle, they're ok. You put an average QB in Indy, they're ok. You put an average QB on the Pats this year, they're looking at a top 10 pick in the draft. Other years, they'd be ok in the regular season. There were times when he was literally the only starter left on offense.

About the Jags... Good team, they're probably being written off a little too fast, and it won't be an easy game. But they're not a team that can go into Foxboro in January and beat the Patriots.[/QUOTE]

I dont know, the award as always been more tainted to RB's then anything else. I'd of given the award to Walter Jones before id given the award to SA any day.

On the news here they show walter jones "morning workout routine" He was pushing cars in nuetrel up hill with his own weight.

In support of the Bengal’s trip to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years we invite employees to "Show Their Stripes" and wear Bengal’s gear to work on Friday!

So does this happen in cities that make it to the playoffs every year as well? I was eleven the last time the Bengals made it and I wasn't quite in the workforce yet.

[quote name='shipwreck']So does this happen in cities that make it to the playoffs every year as well? I was eleven the last time the Bengals made it and I wasn't quite in the workforce yet.[/QUOTE]

actually every Friday in Pittsburgh we are allowed to wear Steelers gear to work...

Wild Card Weekend
Washington (10-6) at Tampa Bay (11-5)
Jacksonville (12-4) at New England (10-6)
Carolina (11-5) at N.Y. Giants (11-5)
Pittsburgh (11-5) at Cincinnati (11-5)

Bleh, one down. Ugly game but the Skins pulled it out. I'm still happy to see the improvement the Buccaneers made this year and I'm hopeful Chris Simms will mature as a QB next year.

Yeah, that was a very ugly game. To be honest, I thought the Bucs got robbed on the play in the endzone near the end with Shepherd.

I disagree, Shepherd didn't have possession of the ball when being tackled, the refs made the right call. He should of had that catch though, it was a damn pretty pass.

Washington isn't going to get anywhere in the playoffs. They'll be heading home next week, for sure. Only 122 offensive yards? Pathetic.

[quote name='mmn']Washington isn't going to get anywhere in the playoffs. They'll be heading home next week, for sure. Only 122 offensive yards? Pathetic.[/QUOTE]

They just got to the next round. :)

Their offense will be better against the Seahawks. Remember, the Bucs had the number one overall defense. Seattle will be a tough test but they beat them before so it isn't totally impossible. I still think Seattle will probably be the team representing the NFC this year though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']They just got to the next round. :)

Their offense will be better against the Seahawks. Remember, the Bucs had the number one overall defense. Seattle will be a tough test but they beat them before so it isn't totally impossible. I still think Seattle will probably be the team representing the NFC this year though.[/QUOTE]

Going to the next round means shit. No wildcard team has ever gone on the road and won 3 straight playoff games to go to the Superbowl.

[quote name='mmn']Going to the next round means shit. No wildcard team has ever gone on the road and won 3 straight playoff games to go to the Superbowl.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='mmn']Going to the next round means shit. No wildcard team has ever gone on the road and won 3 straight playoff games to go to the Superbowl.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a first time for everything, right?

012904_ohsnap.PNG

[quote name='dafoomie']I see we're resting Dillon and Bruschi for next week...[/QUOTE]
Why isn't dillon playing? Is he injured? I thought he was the first string HB.

[quote name='DT778']Why isn't dillon playing? Is he injured? I thought he was the first string HB.[/QUOTE]
He's been banged up all year, ankle problems, hasn't been himself. He's playing tonight, just not as much as Kevin Faulk has.

[quote name='dafoomie']I see we're resting Dillon and Bruschi for next week...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they should be fresh when Denver kicks their ass.

[quote name='mmn']Yeah, they should be fresh when Denver kicks their ass.[/QUOTE]
Denver? The 29th pass defense in the league is going to stop Tom Brady? Jake Plummer is going to not throw 5 picks? You better hope and pray Pittsburgh wins so you won't have to see the Sad Peyton face a week sooner.

[quote name='dafoomie']You better hope and pray Pittsburgh wins so you won't have to see the Sad Peyton face a week sooner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he'll probably look as sad as he did in week 9 when he only dropped 40 points on them.

[quote name='mmn']Yeah, he'll probably look as sad as he did in week 9 when he only dropped 40 points on them.[/QUOTE]
Well, Manning does do his best work in the regular season.

They should have started Garrard, and worked harder to establish the run. They might not have won, but they certainly would have scored more than 3 points.

Ah wrong. The Pats did it in 86 now they got embarrassed there but your statement is still false.

[quote name='dafoomie']Denver? The 29th pass defense in the league is going to stop Tom Brady? Jake Plummer is going to not throw 5 picks? You better hope and pray Pittsburgh wins so you won't have to see the Sad Peyton face a week sooner.[/QUOTE]
And the 31st passing D will do any better to stop the new and improved Jake Plummer? He's not the same QB that tried to make plays all by himself anymore, so he won't have 5 picks. Denver is second in the league in INTs thrown, so they've kept the mistakes to a minimum.

Denver has the advantage in the run game, which is where I'd say that they'd have the best chance to beat the Pats. Doing well with pushing the ball forward and switching things up between Bell and Anderson would set up the pass and be able to take advantage of NE's weak passing D. A one dimensional offense isn't all that hard for Denver to stop, at least enough to win.

The one thing I give NE credit is their intangibles to just win, their experience is their greatest strength and they can definitely cause problems for Denver.

Of course, whether NE comes to Denver depends on the Cincy game tomorrow like you mentioned.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']And the 31st passing D will do any better to stop the new and improved Jake Plummer? He's not the same QB that tried to make plays all by himself anymore, so he won't have 5 picks. Denver is second in the league in INTs thrown, so they've kept the mistakes to a minimum.

Denver has the advantage in the run game, which is where I'd say that they'd have the best chance to beat the Pats. Doing well with pushing the ball forward and switching things up between Bell and Anderson would set up the pass and be able to take advantage of NE's weak passing D. A one dimensional offense isn't all that hard for Denver to stop, at least enough to win.

The one thing I give NE credit is their intangibles to just win, their experience is their greatest strength and they can definitely cause problems for Denver.

Of course, whether NE comes to Denver depends on the Cincy game tomorrow like you mentioned.[/QUOTE]
They are the 31st passing D, but its much better now than it was midseason, when it actually was the worst passing defense in football. I think holding the Jaguars to 3 points when all they did was pass, is evidence of that. The Pats also have a much better rushing defense, they finished 8th in the league. I don't think they'll shut down Denver's running game, Denver can run on anybody, but they won't be running the ball up and down the field on them, either.

I don't see how NE's offense is at all one dimensional. Sure, Dillon's been hurt. But they rushed for 118 yards, with him and Kevin Faulk splitting the load. NE has a reactionary offense, they'll take whatever the defense is giving them that game.

Both team's passing defenses are statistically bad, but I think both are better than what the stats say. But I think NE's passing offense is better, and Denver's rushing offense is better. Better matchup for the Pats. I'd feel better about the Pats relying on their passing game if their run gets stopped, than I would if the same happened to Denver.

Playing Denver on the road is one of the toughest things you can do, this won't be an easy game for either team, should be close. Denver's running game scares me, but Jake Plummer does not. Even if we don't get Denver this week, I'm positive that the road to the Superbowl goes through Indy and Denver, for whoever gets there.

[quote name='jlarlee']Ah wrong. The Pats did it in 86 now they got embarrassed there but your statement is still false.[/QUOTE]

I'm watching the Giants/Panthers game and they JUST said "no number 5 or number 6 seed has ever gone to the Superbowl".

So I maybe should've rephrased my statement, but my point is still valid.

[quote name='dafoomie']I think holding the Jaguars to 3 points when all they did was pass, is evidence of that.

I don't see how NE's offense is at all one dimensional. Sure, Dillon's been hurt. But they rushed for 118 yards, with him and Kevin Faulk splitting the load. NE has a reactionary offense, they'll take whatever the defense is giving them that game.[/QUOTE]

The Jags passing game sucks. Stopping them is no accomplishment, even for the #31 passing defense. Remember when they hadn't scored 30 points in something like 15 straight games until this season?

I agree with you about NE's rushing offense. They managed to win 2 Superbowls with really NO running game to speak of. As long as they have a back who can catch screen passes they'll be fine.

[quote name='mmn']The Jags passing game sucks. Stopping them is no accomplishment, even for the #31 passing defense. Remember when they hadn't scored 30 points in something like 15 straight games until this season?

I agree with you about NE's rushing offense. They managed to win 2 Superbowls with really NO running game to speak of. As long as they have a back who can catch screen passes they'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

It's not the fact that the Jags passing game sucks, it's that the Pats are doing it with some no-names, shit Troy Brown played DB last night. If i'm the Colts and i'm looking at last nights game and seeing that the Pats are on fire, then I pray to God that Denver beats them somehow. As long as Tom Brady is the QB of the Pats, the Pats will always be Super Bowl contenders.

[quote name='dafoomie']8/16, 90yds, 3int, 0 points. At home, in the playoffs, against an inferior team.

He's a Manning alright.[/QUOTE]

Against an inferior team? Come on now give me a break.

[quote name='asnradeon8']Against an inferior team? Come on now give me a break.[/QUOTE]
The Giants were a better team in the regular season. Its not like Eli was playing the Patriots or anything. The Giants were expected to win this game.

[quote name='dafoomie']They are the 31st passing D, but its much better now than it was midseason, when it actually was the worst passing defense in football. I think holding the Jaguars to 3 points when all they did was pass, is evidence of that. The Pats also have a much better rushing defense, they finished 8th in the league. I don't think they'll shut down Denver's running game, Denver can run on anybody, but they won't be running the ball up and down the field on them, either.[/quote]
If we're going to be making excuses for why the rankings are so low, then Denver has one as well. Champ has not been 100% for most of the season and there's 3 rookies busting their ass to do a good job and compensate for Champ's injury. Denver's got the #2 rushing D, with one of the best LB corps around and a pretty good DL with the so-called Browncos doing well in a better situation in Denver.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't see how NE's offense is at all one dimensional. Sure, Dillon's been hurt. But they rushed for 118 yards, with him and Kevin Faulk splitting the load. NE has a reactionary offense, they'll take whatever the defense is giving them that game.[/quote]
When a team's passing offense is over 22 spots higher than their rushing D is ranked, then you've got a one-sided offense. Less than 100 yards a game averaged is not a good rushing game. The day you mentioned is part of that intangibles thing which where NE can scare the crap out of teams.

[quote name='dafoomie']Both team's passing defenses are statistically bad, but I think both are better than what the stats say. But I think NE's passing offense is better, and Denver's rushing offense is better. Better matchup for the Pats. I'd feel better about the Pats relying on their passing game if their run gets stopped, than I would if the same happened to Denver.[/quote]
That's because Denver uses the run to set up the pass. They don't pass for the sake of passing because that's what's gotten Jake into trouble in the past. When you take 6 less passes a game than the other guy, of course his passing game will seem better. I feel that Denver's depth and skill at RB will be their strength and their key to overcoming the tough NE defense.

[quote name='dafoomie']Playing Denver on the road is one of the toughest things you can do, this won't be an easy game for either team, should be close. Denver's running game scares me, but Jake Plummer does not. Even if we don't get Denver this week, I'm positive that the road to the Superbowl goes through Indy and Denver, for whoever gets there.[/QUOTE]
I've got to agree. It's a great game because neither team seems clearly better than the other. New England's ability to just win. Jake doesn't try to scare teams, he just tries to beat them. If a team feels like playing him like he's back in AZ, he'll make them pay. Of course it goes through Indy or Denver since their the top two teams in the AFC ;), but yeah, the records don't mean crap once both teams take the field next week as it's "Put up or shut up" time.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Giants were a better team in the regular season. Its not like Eli was playing the Patriots or anything. The Giants were expected to win this game.[/QUOTE]

The giants backed into the playoffs so injured , who couldnt see this as the result?

Just like when the redskins will take the hawks next week cause the hawks are so injured.

[quote name='mmn']I'm watching the Giants/Panthers game and they JUST said "no number 5 or number 6 seed has ever gone to the Superbowl".

So I maybe should've rephrased my statement, but my point is still valid.[/QUOTE]
thats because there was only three divsions in 86. The first wild card was seed 4

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Carson Palmer's out of the game, for now.[/QUOTE]

And the Bengals are going to be out of the playoffs. No way they win without Palmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back