Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

It might help if we knew what field you're planning on entering.

Personally, I graduated from law school about a year ago and still don't have any solid prospects so I started volunteering with legal aid back in February. I'm carrying a case load of about 10 clients and while I'm putting in about 25-30 hours a week I'm not getting paid for I am building up my resume with actual law practice experience.

I think using a volunteer job to build up your resume is a great idea though and while it hasn't quite led to a paying job for me yet I'm getting experience that should put me ahead of other job seekers.
Thanks. Basically, there is a revolving door with sales back home. Last year was the best year for entering, but people with jobs get jobs.

For stuff under my major, I can do better than most, but dumb people have higher GPA than me.

So I need anything general.

I'd research it a bit first before thinking it is a good idea. Go to someplace like gaijinpot, there are lots of English teachers over there. From what I understand the field is pretty glutted thus leading to very few jobs, and many that do pay very very low pay and treat the teachers pretty poorly.

I do kind of know a girl who did it and liked it, but she was rich so she didn't have to worry about the whole money thing.
Yes ELT is not the best job to have in Japan. Pay is not high. I think JET gives you about 40k a year, and it's tax free plus you don't have to pay for housing. It's pretty good for the time period. I think it's pretty impressive he got in despite being 30+ years old.

But what you do after it is always up as a ?

I had a friend that did JET for many years after college and came back. Job hunting was not the easiest thing.

I'm hunting for just about anything here in Atlanta. I quit my part-time warehouse job of 4 months. I was promised to be brought on full-time at $12-$13 an hour within one month, but I ground it out for 4 months at $10 an hour. 30 hours a week. Not bad money, except I have to drive an hour there and an hour back. And my old '92 Chevy S10 isn't exactly the most fuel-efficient truck. Got tired of being kicked around like an old soccer ball, so I quit in hopes to find something closer to home. I've got enough to cover my expenses for a few months, but I still need something more stable and something that pays better. I'm tired of living at home.

Ask if they will let you keep your vacation time.
I did just that and they said they should be able to add an extra couple days. Plus I get to convert all my current time (salary gets all time off up front while hourly accrues it) so I start off with a good bank built up. Officially accepted yesterday and sign the papers next week!

I did just that and they said they should be able to add an extra couple days. Plus I get to convert all my current time (salary gets all time off up front while hourly accrues it) so I start off with a good bank built up. Officially accepted yesterday and sign the papers next week!
Sweet!

Congrats. Make sure they state the vacation days in the letter or in an email. "We should be able to" can quickly turn into no additional days.

Anyone going through a job search now? The wai-a-ting is the hardest part.
I like that song a lot.

Anyway, I'm applying for GameStop's seasonal openings. I didn't even get considered for the three or four new jobs over the summer at my home store and the manager made up some excuses. Now he talks to me like he knows me or something.

What's a good seasonal job that requires no experience? I'm tired of being compared to morons who just get jobs because they got jobs.

I've been out of school since May with an Electrical engineering degree and have only had one interview since then. I check indeed multiple times a day, have talked to multiple recruiting firms (all seemed shady), and have talked to multiple professors and friends who have found jobs with absolutely no luck. I really don't know what more I could do at this point.

Just started a new job this week.  Much higher pay, higher position, more say in what goes on.  Going pretty well so far.  The commute is amazing and it's 9-5 so that helps a lot too.

Just started a new job this week. Much higher pay, higher position, more say in what goes on. Going pretty well so far. The commute is amazing and it's 9-5 so that helps a lot too.
I will be sacrificing a good commute and good hours for more money. Guess it all works to be the same thing in the end.

you moved without a job? ballsy.
Yep I was looking and Mom said to hold off until we moved. I'm one county north of where I was and hope to get something rolling this month. I just hope my 9.5 years in retail means something.

Just started a new job this week. Much higher pay, higher position, more say in what goes on. Going pretty well so far. The commute is amazing and it's 9-5 so that helps a lot too.
Sounds great. My commute to the nearest city is 15 minutes.

I think I should be a day trader. I have bad luck, but my intuition would help. Sure beats walking into a group interview with a 40 year old person who's had a different job every year since high school.

I got hired at a grocery store, but they haven't gotten back to me in a week and I called and the guy that's does the hiring is from another city. The piss test place called me and asked me to verify some of the prescriptions I take yesterday, so maybe that's holding it up.

I've been out of school since May with an Electrical engineering degree and have only had one interview since then. I check indeed multiple times a day, have talked to multiple recruiting firms (all seemed shady), and have talked to multiple professors and friends who have found jobs with absolutely no luck. I really don't know what more I could do at this point.
Colleges are SCAMMING you. There is no use for college in this age. You are now young and in debt because you fell for the scam. I did not go to college and do not worry about debt, and I can live the lifestyle I WANT without having to WORRY ABOUT PAYING BACK COLLEGE TUITION. I also think that some of you CAGers are having trouble because you are worrying about your lifestyle and low paying jobs. It has gotten to the point where I don't worry about that anymore. Employers having to worry about Obamacare doesn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colleges are SCAMMING you. There is no use for college in this age. You are now young and in debt because you fell for the scam. I did not go to college and do not worry about debt, and I can live the lifestyle I WANT without having to WORRY ABOUT PAYING BACK COLLEGE TUITION. I also think that some of you CAGers are having trouble because you are worrying about your lifestyle and low paying jobs. It has gotten to the point where I don't worry about that anymore. Employers having to worry about Obamacare doesn't help.
Idiot.

College like everything else is what you make of it. Some people use it well. Some don't. It's not a scam. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be commanding the salary I am now without a college degree.

Idiot.

College like everything else is what you make of it. Some people use it well. Some don't. It's not a scam. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be commanding the salary I am now without a college degree.
What They Tell You

College is built on the hopes and dreams of people who were told they can be anything they want. They make it seem so simple. Get a degree and then you'll be able to get that job you always wanted. You might as well go ahead and buy that astronaut suit because you're going to be in outer space in no time.

Why It's Not True

The job market is incredibly competitive and there are a ton of people just as qualified as you trying to get that same job. And those people are probably better connected. I've never in my adult life had a job actually care if I have a degree or not. All anyone in the real working world cares about is whether or not you can actually work. The only job that will ask for a cllege degree is sperm donation. And I needed a Master's Degree for that job so I didn't get it.

Pretty sure TrevorPhillips is a previously banned member. Most people don't start talking shit right off the bat...and he's been shitting all over the place.

What They Tell You

College is built on the hopes and dreams of people who were told they can be anything they want. They make it seem so simple. Get a degree and then you'll be able to get that job you always wanted. You might as well go ahead and buy that astronaut suit because you're going to be in outer space in no time.

Why It's Not True

The job market is incredibly competitive and there are a ton of people just as qualified as you trying to get that same job. And those people are probably better connected. I've never in my adult life had a job actually care if I have a degree or not. All anyone in the real working world cares about is whether or not you can actually work. The only job that will ask for a cllege degree is sperm donation. And I needed a Master's Degree for that job so I didn't get it.
Might as well change your name to IAmTheDumbestGamer :roll:

bread's done
Back