secretvampire's Collection and Setup - UPDATED 1/15/2006 (56k beware!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretvampire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
141 (100%)
So it's a lazy Saturday afternoon and I've wanted to do this for a long time. My wife and I have been living out of boxes for almost a year after taking a long time to sell our house, changing cities, and finally finding a place and settling in. My gaming room is pretty much my living room as our house isn't huge, my wife puts up with it as I keep it pretty clean and she has an office to work in.

This is my setup and collection, I've worked pretty hard on it for the past few years with a lot of searching in used shops and a lot of help from this awesome site. I am all about quality over quantity, I never buy a game just to add size to the collection, and anything that is somewhat marginal in my collection I usually got for free or paid under $5 for.

I am not really into collecting posters, figures, wall scrolls, guides, or any of the other stuff. I pretty much put all of my cash into GAMES and hardware...and I'm all about getting the cream of the crop for each system instead of trying to collect all games on one platform or something, which seems totally pointless to me. So here it is!

I apologize for the quality of the pics, my camera is pretty crappy. All the pics are thumbnails, click on them for the full size pics.

View from just behind the sweet spot. It's a bit dark, but the only way I could get the screen to look close to normal:

With the flash on, still kinda grainy:

A wider shot of the whole shebang:

Here is my rack of consoles, I keep one of each controller in the baskets on the side for easy access:

Closer view of my Neo Geo AES system, two component switchers, my Xbox 360, Japanese Panasonic Q, Japanese Turbo Duo-RX, and modded Xbox:

Trying to show what a cool piece of hardware the Q is, still kinda dark, sorry:

My modded PS1, standard PS2, SNES, N64, NES toaster, Sega Saturn, 3DO, Sega Genesis w/ Sega CD and 32X, Dreamcast, and my Neo Geo joysticks:

My audio/video gear, from top to bottom, my turntable, SACD changer, TiVo, region-free/PAL-to-NTSC DVD player, my regular DVD player, my 7.1 receiver, and an old relic I still use occasionally, my Laserdisc player:

My gaming PC. I don't do AS much PC gaming anymore, but it still gets some use and my machine gets the job done:

My console and handheld games. I keep my extra controllers and some loose carts in the plastic drawers, as well as my Taiko and Donky Konga controllers. You can see my SVS subwoofer nestled in the corner:

All of my handhelds (Turbo Express, Sega Nomad, Sega Game Gear w/ TV tuner, Neo Geo Pocket Color, N-Gage, Atari Lynx, GBA, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, and GBA SP), my complete NES games, and the start of my complete SNES games:

My complete Sega Master System, Game Gear, and SNES games, also the start of my complete Genesis games:

The rest of my complete Genesis games, also my complete Nintendo 64 games:

My complete 3DO, Intellivision, and PSP games, and the start of my Xbox games:

Rest of my Xbox games, and the start of my Xbox 360 collection:

My Playstation 2 collection:

My DS games, my few Famicom Mini games, and the crown jewels of my Saturn collection:

My Gamecube collection, my longbox PS1 games, and the start of my Sega CD games:

The rest of my Sega CD games and the start of my Saturn collection:

The rest of my Saturn games, my small N-Gage collection, my Virtual Boy games, and my complete Neo Geo Pocket Color games:

My Neo Geo AES and MVS games and the start of my PS1 collection:

Rest of my PS1 collection, start of the Dreamcast games:

Rest of my Dreamcast games, my import Saturn games, my TG-16 games, and the start of my complete Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Gameboy Advance games:

Rest of my Gameboy Advance games:

Loose Genesis and SNES carts:

More loose carts:

Some of my boxes in a closet, I don't have room to display this stuff. My Virtual Boy is actually in the box as I don't have anywhere to leave it setup right now:

The start of my PC games collection:

More of my PC games:

The last of my PC games:

And for no good reason, my Quaker parrot, who probably wonders why the hell I'm always staring at that TV and making loud sounds come out of it. He's about 3 years old and has a pretty good vocabulary. Not pictured, my patient wife who puts up will all of this silliness:

Also not pictured in my bedroom system, my model 2 PS1 with LCD screen, my mini model 2 SNES, and my toploader NES.

That's it! Comments or questions are welcome.

Great Collection/setup..... where did you get that wooden shelf, I've been trying to find something like that so I can get some organization going in my collection ~

Great Collection/setup..... where did you get that wooden shelf, I've been trying to find something like that so I can get some organization going in my collection ~

It's made by a company called Plateau and if you search around on the web, there are a few stores selling them, I usually use Big Bang Electronics. It's sturdy and only about $200 which is a bargain as far as HT furniture goes. I highly recommend it, a lot of similar stuff in that price range is absolute crap.

Oh crap, I just realized you were talking about the shelf for my games, I was talking about the HT rack. The shelves are made by a company called....Avery I think. Still runs about $200 and it has adjustable shelving. Bought these off the web as well, I have an identical one for my CDs and DVDs.

weird I dont see the pics at all, not even red X;s either, I reinstalled my harddrive, and maybe forgot to download all the essentials? what am I missing./

[quote name='secretvampire']Oh crap, I just realized you were talking about the shelf for my games, I was talking about the HT rack. The shelves are made by a company called....Avery I think. Still runs about $200 and it has adjustable shelving. Bought these off the web as well, I have an identical one for my CDs and DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did actually mean the shelves that your games were on, but now that I go back and look at the pics, the HT racks look pretty sweet too! Thanks for the info, I'll have to try to find some if I can get the wife's approval.........

Great Collection and its awesome how everything is neat and tidy.

Thanks! I think it's the only way I get away with having all of this crap and not having the wife complain...she doesn't mind it at all.

Yeah I did actually mean the shelves that your games were on, but now that I go back and look at the pics, the HT racks look pretty sweet too! Thanks for the info, I'll have to try to find some if I can get the wife's approval.........

Yeah, I did a whole lot of research on both the racks and the shelves, especially the racks. Being a cheapass, I was sure as hell not going to pay the $400-800 a lot of the other racks are going for. These are just as sturdy, look good, and are modular...I can order extra shelves for them and keep expanding.

A gamer with taste, Master of Monsters, Warsong, Gemfire, Aerobiz and Aerobiz Supersonic. Some of the best games ever made.

oh wow, nice. i'm jealous. can't wait to get out of the dorm room and into my own apartment so i can actually put my games out on display like this too

wow, thats one hell of a collection! now go get a better tv! like an hd lcd tv!

Dude, it is a rear projection HDTV. And a rear-projection CRT based screen will kick the crap out of a LCD TV in image quality, the major drawback being the size and weight of the TV. But as you can see, I don't have a problem with that. I do laugh when I see some of the HUGE collections on digitpress or other boards and the people are playing their awesome collection on a 20-year old 17" TV in some tiny room. ;)

3 words
Panzer Dragoon Saga
I have a mint one for sale if you need/want it.

I definitely want one, I have been holding out for a while but it is the last really pricey game I need for the USA Saturn titles released that I want. In fact, I think I actually PMed you about yours and got no response...:whistle2:k

A gamer with taste, Master of Monsters, Warsong, Gemfire, Aerobiz and Aerobiz Supersonic. Some of the best games ever made.

Thanks...I got some of these during that AWESOME $5 Gamecrazy sale...good God that was incredible. I try to pick quality games, I don't buy the total crap just because it's cheap.

:applause: Congrats on the fantastic collection!

I too feel the pain of succumbing to the wife's decorating-is-more-important-than-your-damn-games mentality; looks like you were able to handle all that quite nicely though!

Congrats on the fantastic collection!

I too feel the pain of succumbing to the wife's decorating-is-more-important-than-your-damn-games mentality; looks like you were able to handle all that quite nicely though!

Thanks! To be fair, my wife is very understanding and has given me a lot of latitude. I mean, I've gotten away with having huge speakers all over the living room and all of my gear dominating the room. She keeps her mouth shut because she does love to watch DVDs on our setup. ;)

Man, that signature is fantastic. Gervais is the man.

Awsome collection and some great games in there. I need to find me some adjustable shelves like that. And I love seeing a collection that actually has some substance and isn't half full of a bunch of the same terrible games that where only bought because they were cheep.

Don't like how the PS2 is high up like that, and it's a pearwhite so I imagine it'd get dusty, but nice collection none the less. I also noticed you dont have any Street Fighter games for Dreamcase :nottalking:

I saw Snatcher, that automatically makes you rule.

I'm very, very slowly learning Japanese. Someday I hope to be able to play Policenauts!!!

Awsome collection and some great games in there. I need to find me some adjustable shelves like that. And I love seeing a collection that actually has some substance and isn't half full of a bunch of the same terrible games that where only bought because they were cheep.
Thanks, I have taken a lot of time assembling this collection with care instead of just buying what is cheap.

Since so many people are interested in my shelves, here is a link to a site that sells them. I am NOT endorsing this seller, but it gives you the manufacturer's name, model number, etc. I suggest you shop around on the web some and see what kind of price you can get. I actually might have bought mine from this site, but it's just been so long, I can't remember...

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/Leslie-Dame-Enterprises/CD-1500/Leslie-Dame/0C209/0PLE1005.htm

Don't like how the PS2 is high up like that, and it's a pearwhite so I imagine it'd get dusty, but nice collection none the less. I also noticed you dont have any Street Fighter games for Dreamcase
If I had a Dreamcase, I would consider it. ;) But seriously, I already have a couple of versions of Street Fighter, I don't feel the need to own every variation. I've actually been planning on picking up the Xbox SF Anniversary Collection when it gets dirt cheap.

The PS2 won't fit anywhere else standing up, and it seems a shame to hide it in the rack since it looks pretty slick in person. It's been like that for a few months and I don't see any dust on it, and I'm pretty tall so I don't have trouble getting to it.

Obviously you're not much of a 3D fighter fan, but I've always felt that a Dreamcast collection without Soul Calibur is still unfinished. I would probably also like to see Virtua Fighter 2 in that Saturn collection.

I mean, don't you ever have some friends come around with a hankering for a spankering? Want some? :D

But, I will echo the general sentiment here when I say that your collection is completely awesome and of massive quality. Good show, old chap!

Obviously you're not much of a 3D fighter fan, but I've always felt that a Dreamcast collection without Soul Calibur is still unfinished. I would probably also like to see Virtua Fighter 2 in that Saturn collection.

I mean, don't you ever have some friends come around with a hankering for a spankering? Want some?

Actually, I do have Soul Calibur, I have no idea why it's not on my shelf...I need to go look for it! And I have Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox, and the original Soul Blade. It's one of the few 3D fighter series' I have liked, we played THE SHIT out of Soul Blade in college.

I have the Virtua Fighter Remix for Saturn and Virtua Fighter 4 on PS2. They are okay...I have never spent a ton of time on that series.

Are we supposed to be impressed? *cries self to sleep at night*

Very, very impressive collection/set up. How long have you been collecting?

Very, very impressive collection/set up. How long have you been collecting?

Well...technically my whole life. Some of the NES and SNES games are from when I was a kid, same with the Intellivision games, I got those and the system when I was 3 years old (that system is not pictured and not hooked up). I have been a PC gamer (and before that, Commodore 64) my whole life, and really got back into console gaming around the time the Playstation came out. I kind of casually bought stuff until I got out of college right around the time the latest generation hit and I got a PS2 and eventually the others. Then I finally had actual money and started collecting the older systems I could never afford as a kid and all the great games I missed out on. It just kind of took off from there!

[quote name='Fanboy']Obviously you're not much of a 3D fighter fan, but I've always felt that a Dreamcast collection without Soul Calibur is still unfinished. I would probably also like to see Virtua Fighter 2 in that Saturn collection.[/QUOTE]

He knows 2d fighters are superior in all aspects, so why waste time with 3D ones ;)

Amazing collection! I wish I had kept all the boxes for my NES and SNES games so I could display them like that...

[quote name='The VGM']He knows 2d fighters are superior in all aspects, so why waste time with 3D ones ;)[/QUOTE]

While I would completely agree with this assessment in all other genres and cases, both VF2 for Saturn and SC for Dreamcast are, to use Punk_Raven's term, GODLY.

Besides, it looks like my prodding may lead to a little investigating on his part:

[quote name='secretvampire']I do have Soul Calibur, I have no idea why it's not on my shelf...I need to go look for it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fanboy']both VF2 for Saturn and SC for Dreamcast are, to use Punk_Raven's term, GODLY.[/QUOTE]

No, and judging by screenshots and SC2, no. I'll point you to the fighting game topic for further discussion ;)

Very, very cool. I'm ony my way to owning a collection like that...some day! Some questions, now:

How old are you? In conjunction with that, how long have you been collecting? Is this a cumulative collection from childhood, or did you just start one day and begin mass-buying?

Do you consistently update this? Do you spend most of your "extra" money on games?

The only thing I don't like about your display is how you have the Platinum X-Box games mixed in with the others. I realize they're alpha-numeratized, but in my opinion, nothing looks cooler than a group of games stacked in the same style. Those Platinum games throw off the pattern of the black XBox portion of the sides of the sleeves.

Very, very cool, though. Kick ass job.

what game is that on the TV??
God of War for PS2. I just finished it this weekend and that is me at Mount Olympus! :) Awesome game.

How old are you? In conjunction with that, how long have you been collecting? Is this a cumulative collection from childhood, or did you just start one day and begin mass-buying?
I'm 27...see the earlier post for kind of how I got into collecting. I definitely have picked up a lot more stuff the last couple of years through the various sales, ESPECIALLY the legendary $5 Circuit City and $5 Gamecrazy sales.

The only time I ever sold any of my games as a kid was when I sold my Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, and a few others in a pursuit to buy a Sega Genesis (which I never even wound up getting at that point!) And I gave 90% of the rest to my brother to take to college and it later broke and he donated the games to Goodwill. I still kick myself over those, but I had a PC and didn't care that much...did most of my gaming on that. My SNES I bought in high school and kept ever since. I poured most of my money into upgrading my PC and collecting music (I have a pretty large CD collection too, about 1500 CDs ever since I got married and our collections merged), so I didn't buy THAT many console games. The Final Fantasy III is one of the few games I bought at the time for my SNES, and I kept it mint and complete, thank God. I still remember buying it for $70(!!!) at Best Buy.

Do you consistently update this? Do you spend most of your "extra" money on games?
I do consistantly update my list. I wouldn't say I spend most of my extra money, but some of it. My wife and I do like to travel and eat out, so that accounts for some of it. And ever since getting involved in this site, I never, ever pay $50 for a game. Like many here, I've gotten so cheap that I never pay more than $20 for a new title, and I buy used whenever possible as long as I can get a mint and complete copy of a game. I have so much stuff to play that it's very easy to just wait a few weeks for a price drop or a ridiculous sale on a game I really want (which seem to happen often when you keep your eyes on the forums).

I do a fair bit of trading, but for some of the rarer stuff there is no choice but to go to Ebay. The odds of me finding a complete Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger or Guardian Heroes in a store for a fair price is almost non-existant, so I find good auctions that are ignored. I just scored Magic Knight Rayearth for $20 off Ebay a couple of weeks ago because the auction ended at a weird time and nobody else bid.

The only thing I don't like about your display is how you have the Platinum X-Box games mixed in with the others. I realize they're alpha-numeratized, but in my opinion, nothing looks cooler than a group of games stacked in the same style. Those Platinum games throw off the pattern of the black XBox portion of the sides of the sleeves.
Yeah, I guess it doesn't bother me too much. I wouldn't even have any Platinum Hits games if it weren't for that $5 Best Buy Platinum Hits sale in January of 2004, remember that one kids? I couldn't resist for that price. You'll notice I have no Greatest Hits PSX games, and the only other Greatest/Player's Choice etc. games are the games which were only released that way like Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.

friggin nice. The only problem I have with anything there is the racks you have your systems on -- kinda ghetto. But that's a hell of a lot of good hardware and gaming stuff.

[quote name='The VGM']No, and judging by screenshots and SC2, no. I'll point you to the fighting game topic for further discussion ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not pimping them as fighting games. Just as great games, period. While you may not agree, basing your judgment on sequels and screenshots :?, it doesn't render my (and secretvampire's) tastes any less valid.

There's no reason to bring this to the other discussion, I was simply pointing out two games that seemed to be missing from an otherwise gem-filled collection.

secretvampire, what other games (besides PDS) are you on the lookout for? Do you have a mental list?

secretvampire, what other games (besides PDS) are you on the lookout for? Do you have a mental list?

Yeah, I keep a mental list for the most part. I just scored Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn a couple of weeks ago for $20 in an Ebay auction that nobody else bid on for whatever reason, from a good seller in mint condition. There are still tons of pricier (and some not so much) I'm keeping an eye out for or waiting for a good trade or Ebay auction on. Off the top of my head:

Sega Saturn
Burning Rangers (maybe)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Japanese import)
Magic Carpet
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Radiant Silvergun (Japanese import)
Shinobi Legions

Sega CD
Flashback
Lunar Silver Star (disc and manual)
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Shadowrun (Japanese import)
Vay

SNES
Earthbound (box and manual, actually a friend is going to sell this to me when he finishes the game)
Final Fantasy II
Knights of the Round
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
A few others where I need the box and manual

Sega Genesis
Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi 3
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Boxes and manuals for some of my loose stuff

Turbo Grafx 16/CD
Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood (Japanese CD)
Devil's Crush
Lords of Thunder

Neo Geo AES and MVS, Virtual Boy
Just starting out, need quite a few

NES:
While one of my favorite systems of all time, I have been slow to collect them since it's hard to maintain a working system. Now with the new third party systems coming out, I'm ready to start up again. The GenerationNex machine that is due out in September looks fantastic, and I plan to pick one up.

Actually writing some of this down, there are certain systems where I just realized that I pretty much have everything I want for them as far as domestic releases goes, like the original Playstation, Dreamcast, and N64. Still some imports I'm looking for, but I should be going to Japan within the next year, maybe I'll just hold off and look there.

Also, for whatever reason, I've never gotten around to picking up a 32X...wouldn't mind finding one of those cheap and a few titles. Would like to pick up complete versions or boxes and manuals for my loose Game Gear and Game Boy games.

[quote name='Fanboy']Oh, I'm not pimping them as fighting games. Just as great games, period. While you may not agree, basing your judgment on sequels and screenshots :?, it doesn't render my (and secretvampire's) tastes any less valid.[/QUOTE]

Well from what I've heard from countless other people, SC1 is a less deep Soul Calibur 2, so why wouldn't it be fair to base my judgement on screenshots and it's sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back