Sega CD Lot Advice Needed. What's a good price?

Gara

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
I posted a wanted ad on craigslist for video games and got a response from this guy

"Here's what I have:

*SEGA CD MODEL 1 AND 2(TWO MODEL 1'S)
*SEGA CD ALL THE HOOK UPS/CORDS
*SEGA 32X(HOOK-UPS INCLUDED)
*SEGA CD GAMES(ABOUT 60, some are brand new)
*SEGA SATURN GAMES(10)

ALL THE GAMES ARE COMPLETE WITH CASE/MANUAL AND IN GOOD CONDITION. SEGA
CD GAMES LIKE......TERMINATOR, DRAGON'S LAIR, TOMCAT ALLEY, LUNAR
ETERNAL STAR, SONIC CD, MORTAL KOMBAT 1, NBA JAM, SILPHEED, NHL 94',
JOE
MONTANA FOOTBALL, KRIS KROSS(CD ONLY), POWER FACTORY, SEWER SHARK,
BATMAN RETURN, SPIDERMAN VS KINGPIN, VAY, CHUCK ROCK 2, POWER RANGERS,
JEPORADY, JURASSIC PARK, NFL FOOTBALL TONIGHT, PRIME, FINAL FIGHT,
BATTLECORPS, DRACULA, DRACULA UNLEASHED, BRUTAL PAWS OF FURY,
INTERNATIONAL SOCCER, CLIFFHANGER, CORPSE KILLER(32X/NEW), DEMOLITION
MAN, DOUBLE SWITCH, DUNE, ECCO THE DOPHIN, ECCO TIDES OF TIME, ESPN
HOCKEY NIGHT, FLASHBACK, GROUND ZERO TEXAS, LOADSTAR, NFL FOOTBALL
TRIVIA, PRIZE FIGHTER, RACING ACES(NEW), REVENGE OF THE NINJA, ROBO
ALESTE(NEW), SLAM CITY(3 DISC SET), SEGA CLASSIC ARCADE, STAR WARS
REBEL
ASSAULT, STELLER FIRE, SUPREME WARRIOR(32X), SURGICAL STRIKE, SWITCH,
THIRD WORLD WAR, WIREHEAD, WWF RAGE AND THE CAGE.

I might have miss some, I will let you know the others if any.
Controllers(4) are included. Let me know how much do you want to spend
on this collection! All offers is accepted!"

Any thoughts on what might be a good offer for him? I don't really run into sega cd lots much so I'm not sure what I should expect to spend. His lot seems a little too big so I am expecting an ebay quote. Guess we'll see!

[quote name='GizmoGC']$120-$150?[/quote]
Hopefully he will let it go for less. If he had Marky Mark: Make My Video then his lot would be almost perfect!

Received another reply from him
"I don't have an ideal price, never thought about it! You can make an
offer(any offer is accepted). Please get back to me. Here are some
pics."

Guess I'll try some lowball offers. I'm used to dealing with people in person. Darn email!

Well that didn't last long. I opened with a $75.00 offer to feel him out and got
"$75.00 for the whole lot is too low because Lunar and Vay go for
$75.00-$100.00 a piece. Are you missing a zero in $75.00 and meant not
to put a period?"

His prices are even above ebays! God damn "offer plz" people

[quote name='Gara']Well that didn't last long. I opened with a $75.00 offer to feel him out and got
"$75.00 for the whole lot is too low because Lunar and Vay go for
$75.00-$100.00 a piece. Are you missing a zero in $75.00 and meant not
to put a period?"

His prices are even above ebays! God damn "offer plz" people[/QUOTE]

Got to love people who expect Ebay prices on CL but too damn lazy / stupid to list on Ebay themselves.

If you want Ebay prices, gonna have to actually, you know, list on Ebay! What a concept.

This guy is just looking to rip off someone who doesn't know better.

[quote name='Roufuss']Got to love people who expect Ebay prices on CL but too damn lazy / stupid to list on Ebay themselves.

If you want Ebay prices, gonna have to actually, you know, list on Ebay! What a concept.

This guy is just looking to rip off someone who doesn't know better.[/quote]

It's depressing what ebay does to people. They don't even need an ebay account to become experts. He sent me another email

"As for the whole set, I got to thinking......I would let it go for
$600.
That is a good fair price considering the
following:condition(disc/manuals/cases), rare titles, 4 controllers,
and
all the hook ups. Nothing is missing. Everything works. We are talking
about a $1000 set here. $600 is including the Saturn games, Sega CD
console, controllers, around 60 Sega CD games, and 32X. Also, you are
getting about 5 brand new unopen Sega CD games. Let me know what you
think!

Yeah, Ebay is the ideal place but it is more to it like Ebay selling
fees, shipping and handling, listing the item(s), watching the items.
Plus I might not even a payment from the buyer/bidder and that would
cause delay/relisting. I don't have time for it as it is. Ebay is not
always the best place for everybody and everything."

Wow! He is sure cutting me a deal there. $400.00 off!

[quote name='Gara']Hopefully he will let it go for less. If he had Marky Mark: Make My Video then his lot would be almost perfect!

Received another reply from him
"I don't have an ideal price, never thought about it! You can make an
offer(any offer is accepted). Please get back to me. Here are some
pics."

[/QUOTE]
Something about that satement scares me.

Well, you have to admit $70 would be a rip-off on his part, hell even $125 would be a rip-off. The problem is too many people know the value of videogames these days, it's a sad time for us CAG's.

On a side note, from the responses that he gave you, he sounds like a used car dealer.

He really does sound like a used car dealer! I told him his prices were well above ebay so he sent me a mind boggling reply.

"
I think you better check Ebay again for the prices......the systems is
becoming more rare and hard to find. RPG Titles like Lunar, Vay, Popful
Mail, Dark Wizards Keio Flying Shinning Forces, Snatchers these titles
go for $100 to $150 easy. Just check it out and tell me I'm wrong. Go
to
Ebay and find out! Buy it now prices are pretty high for most listings
of Sega CD. Check this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Snatcher-Sega-CD-Complete-in-Box-A-True-Classic_W0QQitemZ160124981477QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FYI:14 years ago, Sega CD retail was $299.99. So I'm not even asking
for
that price if I sold it to you separately($75.00). The more older the
system gets, the more rare it becomes and the value gets higher. That's
how a lot of things is nowadays! Even GameGear, Neo-Geo stuff is
expensive now. Same as Nintendo Lots, Super Nintendo Lots. Lots/whole
sale a lot better than individual sales! That's Y I want to sell as a
whole/lot.

YOU WILL NOT FIND A LOT LIKE THIS OFTEN AND DEFENATELY NOT FOR
$75.00(WHICH IS WAY TOO LOW). TRUST ME MY FRIEND, I KNOW. I AM A SEGA
CD
HEAD!!!! GUARENTEED!

Ok maybe $600.00 is too high for you but it is worth it. For this lot,
The lowest that anybody should pay is $450.00 and that's a super good
deal! Most Sega CD titles is like $5-$25(I HAVE ABOUT 60). I can do the
lot for $500.00......think about it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-CD-GAME-SHINING-FORCE-RARE-COMPLETE-CIB_W0QQitemZ110136510056QQihZ001QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is my point proven!"

It's odd because almost all of those titles he lists are not even in the lot. If his lot had snatcher, shining force, and all the others then his price would make a little bit more sense.

What's hilarious is he doesn't have time for Ebay, but he has time to barter with people on Craigslist who won't pay him, which was his #1 Ebay concern.

Takes all of 5 minutes to list an item, 10 for a big lot, you don't have to watch your own item, and shipping something takes another 10 - 15 minutes, maybe 30 if you wait in line.

Ebay is not the best thing for him he says, so why does he expect Ebay prices? Funny how he's looking at stuff on Ebay where the prices are inflated to cover all the things he listed.

They're also not going for $100-$150, like he claims.

I'd say if you could talk him down to $350-$400, maybe you should go for it, but this guy just doesn't seem too trustworthy.

Of course if he had Snatcher, i'd say go for it for $500.

[quote name='BearMan23']Something about that satement scares me.

Well, you have to admit $70 would be a rip-off on his part, hell even $125 would be a rip-off. The problem is too many people know the value of videogames these days, it's a sad time for us CAG's.

On a side note, from the responses that he gave you, he sounds like a used car dealer.[/quote]
Have you seen the cover on this game? I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to walk up and purchase it in a store.

"
No you are not missing nothing. I was just showing you in general how
those Rare Games go for. The listing is example of Shining Force at a
current price of $80.00 and its not a buy it now, its a current
bid(1bid). $80.00 was the lowest the seller wanted. Lunar and Vay are
compatiable titles, price wise. Just looked them up, all those titles.
All RPG titles go for a lot and in which Vay and Lunar and all the
others I mentioned is rpg.[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"[/FONT]

It would make more sense if the guy was actually linking me auctions of items he has in the lot, instead he keeps pointing out things that he says prove that old games are worth big bucks.

He seems more than willing to talk though. Trying to wear him down to a lower price

$150 at the most. It may have a $1000 value or whatever but like most video games and consoles, it's not intrinsic. It only becomes that valuable if someone is willing to pay that much for it. That's like the Ebay philosophy almost. If he wants even $500, here's a message to copy and paste and send to him:

Wanna keep talking about the AMAZING value of it?

http://www.ebay.com

Have fun :)

Always remember. When dealing with CL sellers, 98% of the time they need you way more than you need them. It's usually lazy people looking to make a quick buck. Use that to your advantage.

Negotiations have failed! He seems more insulted now more than anything. I tried telling him about previous prices I have run into

"Let me ask you one ? & we can let this go. If you had gotten a Sega Cd
for 45 bucks and Sega CD games is that cheap(like $75.00 cheap for a
lot), then Y are you posting a wanted ad on craigslist for a Sega CD???
Craigslist is the very last place you would look for a Sega CD on. Its
very rare to see a Sega CD on CL. If you are saying Sega CD stuff is
that cheap, do yourself a favor and buy on Ebay and instead of wasting
your time on CL. Makes more sense!!!

Its like, you know you can get a Sega CD on Ebay easily but on
Craigslist......its a waste time cuz you won't find it. Dude, if you
don't have a Ebay account or can't open a Paypal Account, let me know,
I
will bid for you cuz u r wasting your time on Craigslist. And that's
forreal!"

I love people who think like that though. Keeps away the competition on craigslist scores! Oh well, thanks for all the advice everyone.

He needs to get off the crack, no one is going to buy that crap for hundreds of dollars. Yes, Sega CDs are somewhat hard to come by, but so are people who actually have any interest in them.

I think the person is living around 5 years in the past.

I can tell you right now back around 2002 or so I did sell a Sega cd first model for 250 bucks (the one with the slide out door) and it sold in 5 mins after listing it on ebay.

yes maybe 5 years ago those disc were worth 100 buck each. I remember one of the harder to find Lunar covers disc was getting around 150

personally i would of turned your down in a second if you offered 120 bucks for it. I would rather had it rot then sell it that low . Hell it probally would of ran 30+ bucks in shipping

mostly all sega cd games have crashed. I remember when my cousin stepped on and broke my shining force sega cd game that it would cost over 100 to replace (they never replaced it) around 40 now

here is a shocking link

http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-5-SEGA-CDs-...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pesonally i think the winner payed way too much

I personally would be shocked if you could get them down below 500

That's way too much considering that Vay & Lunar I'm pretty sure are the only Sega CD games in that list that command any value at all. I'd think that it would probably take a miracle to sell most of those Sega CD games that are bad to average at anything more then $5ish per a game (piece meal) on CL even if they are complete & mint.

I just checked Lunar and saw two copies complete that ended under $30 with shipping & I know without looking that Vay can be had cheaper then Lunar.

Unless you're a collector or think you can flip it for more, settle on $100. You won't get that much enjoyment out of it after the novelty wears off. You're also probably the only person who has responded to that ad. Milk that for what it's worth.

[quote name='FOnewearl']That's way too much considering that Vay & Lunar I'm pretty sure are the only Sega CD games in that list that command any value at all. I'd think that it would probably take a miracle to sell most of those Sega CD games that are bad to average at anything more then $5ish per a game (piece meal) on CL even if they are complete & mint.

I just checked Lunar and saw two copies complete that ended under $30 with shipping & I know without looking that Vay can be had cheaper then Lunar.[/quote]

Just to hammer home the point, I bought a near mint Vay with map off ebay for $13 I believe, about a year ago. Also, as an original Sega CD owner, Version 1, I would in NO WAY even entertain thoughts of purchasing that lot. I bought two games for the system when I had interest in it, now I just collect games at garage sales for cheap for it. There are cheaper ways of getting the system and the games he offers are shit at best. You'll find lunar for the cheap some day, and like the above says, drop $30 on it and use your version 2 you found on ebay, goodwill.com, or a garage sale for ten bucks and play it.

bread's done
Back