Sega CD: Must have games?

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
Just picked up one at a garage sale and want to see what I can do about getting some good games for it. Now, I'm talking good games, not classic FMV garbage like Ground Zero Texas, Double Switch, and Night Trap. I'm talking Popful Mail and Snatcher calibur. Any suggestions?

Here's the good shit.

If Money is no object then get these

Shining Force CD
Snatcher
Popful Mail
Lunar The Silver Star
Lunar Eternal Blue
Vay
Keio Flying Squadron

For Cheaper but still good Sega CD gaming get the below

Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Eternal Champions Challenge from the Darkside
Sonic CD
Dark Wizard
Fatal Fury Special Edition
Samurai Shodown
Heimdal
Heart of the Alien
Rise of the Dragon
Prince of Persia
PANIC
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
Monkey Island

I'll second Willy Beamish. Under-rated point & click game. And if you play it, make sure you launch the kid over the house on the swing set in your backyard

[quote name='fart_bubble']I'll second Willy Beamish. Under-rated point & click game. And if you play it, make sure you launch the kid over the house on the swing set in your backyard[/QUOTE]

I used to have this for my PC back in the day. Is the Sega CD version basically the same thing?

Thanks for the other reccomendations, I'll have to hit up some yard sales and cross my fingers it seems.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I used to have this for my PC back in the day. Is the Sega CD version basically the same thing?

Thanks for the other reccomendations, I'll have to hit up some yard sales and cross my fingers it seems.[/quote]

Yes it is. Except with loading time. A lot of it. Though in all fairness, the old PC game had loading too if you didn't play from a hard drive and only had a 1x cd drive. The game also isn't as colorful as the full VGA version that the PC had "Though a lot of people were still on EGA back then and this is superior to that." If you're patient, you will be rewarded with Willy Beamish on the Sega CD.

Snatcher isn't required. Just really really recommended as its one of the best reasons to get a sega cd. You can still enjoy it without snatcher though your enjoyment might be significantly less.

These are my picks, only reason why I still have a Sega CD today.

Lunar SSS

Lunar EB

Popful mail

Vay

Snatcher (must have)

(I'm a big working design fan, vay & popful mail isn't a must have, but is nice) and both lunar game can be had on the PS1

You may be surprised on how cheap you can find Vay. I've seen them go for under $20. I think the I-Touch version may be to blame for this. Anyways some good games I didn't see posted yet

Lords of Thunder (shump)
Android Assualt (shump)
Robo Aleste (shump)
Spider-Man vs Kingpin
Hook
Dungeon Explorer II (Gauntlet type game)

In addition to some of these recommendations, I always enjoyed Time Gal when Sega CD was in its prime, good if you like Dragon's Lair style games (probably hasn't aged well though as I've not played it in a while)

[quote name='Rodimus']
Robo Aleste (shump)[/QUOTE]
Sequel to MUSHA... Highly recommended.

Sonic CD is easy to find and is easily the best 16 bit Sonic. Ecco the Dolphin and Ecco Tides of Time are both far superior on Sega CD. NHL 94 is great as well, best version of the best hockey game of all time. Final Fight CD is the best version available for any platform. Earthworm Jim is nice. Jurassic Park is worth a quick look for the $2 it sells for, its sort of an adventure/FMV type but I enjoyed it at the time.

Heart of the Alien is an extremely overlooked title.

I'm not sure if it's the best version since it came out on like 10 diffrent platforms but Flashback is also a great title if you don't already own it.

Track down Earthworm Jim, it has more levels and better music than any other version.

Also go download/burn Penn and Tellers Smoke and Mirrors. Most realistic bus driving simulator on any system ever!

[quote name='fart_bubble']I'll second Willy Beamish. Under-rated point & click game. And if you play it, make sure you launch the kid over the house on the swing set in your backyard[/quote]

Ill have to try that game again, it came with my system, and it looked like it wasnt much of anything.

Shining Force CD
Snatcher
Popful Mail
Lunar The Silver Star
Lunar Eternal Blue
Vay

Thats all you really need. I was very lucky to find snatcher for 5 bucks recently along with Vay and Lunar:The Silver Star all for under 20 bucks.

If you come across Sol Feace, its a pretty good shooter. Difficult, but its pretty fun.

Yea, and Sewer Shark is about the only game youll find multiple copies of. I cant get past the first level, so its like whats the point.

Just stick to RPGs/ games that are on other systems and youll be fine. Of course, having a copy of Night Trap seems to be a must these days...

[quote name='Paco']Yes it is. Except with loading time. A lot of it. Though in all fairness, the old PC game had loading too if you didn't play from a hard drive and only had a 1x cd drive. The game also isn't as colorful as the full VGA version that the PC had "Though a lot of people were still on EGA back then and this is superior to that." If you're patient, you will be rewarded with Willy Beamish on the Sega CD.[/quote]

The DOS CD version of Willy Beamish is superior (better colors and load times). You can play it on Dos Box these days.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/adventures-of-willy-beamish/reviews/reviewerId,12488/

Since everybody has mentioned all the classics already, I guess I'll point out the homebrew stuff. Good Deal Games has been putting out stuff that either got canceled before original release, ports of games and new stuff for the Sega CD. No mod chip needed, just pop it in.

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publishing_SegaCD_Bug_Blasters.html

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publishing_SegaCD_BattleFrenzy.html

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publishing_SegaCD_BurningFists.html

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publishing_SegaCD_Citizen X.html

Willy Beamish is on GameTap (the DOS version), but that one doesn't have voice acting.

I played through the Sega CD one back in the day, it did have voice overs, and I remember being extremely frustrated with load times, but I guess that didn't stop me from completing the game.

Sonic CD
Sewer Shark
Night Trap:spam:
Sol-Feace
Make My video Series:spam:
Final Fight CD
Lunar CD
NHL 94
Earthworm Jim
Spider-man V.S Kingpin
Power rangers
NBA Jam

[quote name='Rodimus']
Dungeon Explorer II (Gauntlet type game)[/QUOTE]

Was there any differences between the T-16 CD version and Sega CD version? If so, I might pick up a Sega CD and track down a copy. I played the shit out of it on the Turbo......wish I still owned all of my Turbo gear, had the T-16, Turbo CD, the Turbo Express and a shitload of games

I really enjoyed the driving segments of Batman Returns on the SegaCD. There was a code you could put it to bypass all the platform segments and just play the driving levels.

The music was great as well, Spencer Nilsen I believe did the audio tracks for Sega games back then. He also made the music for the Ecco SegaCD games which were also fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fart_bubble']Was there any differences between the T-16 CD version and Sega CD version? If so, I might pick up a Sega CD and track down a copy. I played the shit out of it on the Turbo......wish I still owned all of my Turbo gear, had the T-16, Turbo CD, the Turbo Express and a shitload of games[/quote]

Never played the T-16 version but I'm gonna assume the music was better for the Sega CD.

bread's done
Back