Sega CD

Pyto1

CAG Veteran
I've got an old Sega CD lying in my basement, and I'm wondering if it's worth anything to someone or if you can give me some idea's of what I could get for it. I also have a sega to go with it if the need be. I'm making it a point to go and see if I can get it working (Haven't used it in years.)

I may end up putting it on ebay if I can get it looking half decent.

Is it a first generation Sega CD or a second? The first generation ones sat underneath the Genesis and had a motorized tray that slid out, the second generation versions sat to the side and had a flip top. The first generation was designed to work with the Mark I Genesis, and the second generation for the Mark II. eBay is a good place to start for pricing it out, but from what I see a second gen sega cd is going for about $20-$30. I believe the first gens go for a little bit more, but I can't be entirely sure. I think last time I checked they were at and above $50.

[quote name='DaveD']Is it a first generation Sega CD or a second? The first generation ones sat underneath the Genesis and had a motorized tray that slid out, the second generation versions sat to the side and had a flip top. The first generation was designed to work with the Mark I Genesis, and the second generation for the Mark II. eBay is a good place to start for pricing it out, but from what I see a second gen sega cd is going for about $20-$30. I believe the first gens go for a little bit more, but I can't be entirely sure. I think last time I checked they were at and above $50.[/quote]

The one I have definitely goes underneath, but i'm not sure about my sega's, I have a smaller one and one roughly the same size as sega CD.

1st gen is rarer and more collectible but also more susceptible to drive failure. They look better when you match a 1st gen with a 1st gen, or a 2nd with a 2nd.

There are some great games for Sega CD, but most are rare and expensive. There are also Sega CD versions of Genesis games which are far superior, like Ecco the Dolphin, Eternal Champions, and NHL 94, Ecco had a killer soundtrack on CD which completely changed the game for me. Some of those are easy to find. The truly great games are going to be impossible to find, like Snatcher, Shining Force CD, Keio Flying Squadron, Lunar 1/2, Popful Mail...

It has probably the best Sonic game ever made, Sonic CD. And its easy to find that cheap. And I believe you can burn that Penn and Teller prototype game onto a disc and play it, everyone should have a chance to play Desert Bus.

I've stopped collecting for most systems and started focusing on SegaCD/Saturn/Dreamcast, though I've failed to get many of the games I'm looking for due to the costs involved. If you try it, good luck, I've still got my SegaCD hooked up to my big screen for a few games I still play.

I think the original Sega CDs were prone to having issues with the tray. And the flip top ones work with either model 1 or 2 Genesis, but you get different hardware for the model one unit and an extender (since the model 2 genny is smaller).

MjC

[quote name='dafoomie']1st gen is rarer and more collectible but also more susceptible to drive failure. They look better when you match a 1st gen with a 1st gen, or a 2nd with a 2nd.

There are some great games for Sega CD, but most are rare and expensive. There are also Sega CD versions of Genesis games which are far superior, like Ecco the Dolphin, Eternal Champions, and NHL 94, Ecco had a killer soundtrack on CD which completely changed the game for me. Some of those are easy to find. The truly great games are going to be impossible to find, like Snatcher, Shining Force CD, Keio Flying Squadron, Lunar 1/2, Popful Mail...

It has probably the best Sonic game ever made, Sonic CD. And its easy to find that cheap. And I believe you can burn that Penn and Teller prototype game onto a disc and play it, everyone should have a chance to play Desert Bus.

I've stopped collecting for most systems and started focusing on SegaCD/Saturn/Dreamcast, though I've failed to get many of the games I'm looking for due to the costs involved. If you try it, good luck, I've still got my SegaCD hooked up to my big screen for a few games I still play.[/quote]

Yeah sadly I couldn't find ANY games for it, except 3 out of 4 discs for "slam city."

Well both Sega CD's both go under the Genesis, but where do you put the disk? If it has a slide out tray it's a 1st gen, and will net you some more money. If it has a pop-up PSX style tray on the side, it's a 2nd gen and way more common.

I've got a CD-X I've had since I was young, and I've always been curious of it's actual value. Anybody got an average?

[quote name='illitero']I've got a CD-X I've had since I was young, and I've always been curious of it's actual value. Anybody got an average?[/QUOTE]

The system by itself could net you anywhere from $70 - $120. Having the orginal box is a big plus. I also have a Sega CDX I'm about to sell, right after I beat Popful Mail.

Sadly the Sega CD only has a handful of really good games, most of which are fairly hard to find.

bread's done
Back