Sega Genesis Question..

rockhero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
So I can't seem to find my old Genesis system and so I'm looking to buy a new one. I notice that there are a few different models floating around.. Any advice on which one to get?

I wouldn't buy the model 3. Are you planning on finding a SegaCD or 32x down the road? Or do you need a/v out? If none of those matter, just go with whichever looks better to you.

[quote name='dafoomie']I wouldn't buy the model 3. Are you planning on finding a SegaCD or 32x down the road? Or do you need a/v out? If none of those matter, just go with whichever looks better to you.[/quote]

Genesis 3 has a/v out, its just some don't have stereo out and some do.

[quote name='Heyricochet'][quote name='dafoomie']I wouldn't buy the model 3. Are you planning on finding a SegaCD or 32x down the road? Or do you need a/v out? If none of those matter, just go with whichever looks better to you.[/quote]

Genesis 3 has a/v out, its just some don't have stereo out and some do.[/quote]
I wasn't saying they didn't, its harder to find A/V out on Genesis 1, so if he needs that, he might not want that one. If he wants a Sega CD, he'll want to get one that matches the Sega CD model. I wouldn't get a Genesis 3 under any circumstances though, its not even made by Sega.

[quote name='punqsux']go with a genny 1 and get the front loading sega cd. [/quote]
I wish I had a frontloader... I have a Genesis 2 and a top loader Sega CD.

I love my Genny 3...I have no desire to get all the SegaCD/32X jumble, and I think the only two games the Genny 3 doesn't play (due to the lack of the Z80) are the two Virtua games. Not a big loss. Plus you can toss in import carts (ones before the lockout chip) without an adapter.

It may not be "made" by Sega, but it's still officially licensed hardware.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I love my Genny 3...I have no desire to get all the SegaCD/32X jumble, and I think the only two games the Genny 3 doesn't play (due to the lack of the Z80) are the two Virtua games. Not a big loss. Plus you can toss in import carts (ones before the lockout chip) without an adapter.

It may not be "made" by Sega, but it's still officially licensed hardware.[/quote]
The Atari 10 in 1 joysticks are official, but they're not real to me. Theres a ton of great games on Sega CD that you'd miss out on if you never had one. 32x... You're not missing anything there. Plus you can't use a Power Base Converter on a Genesis 3 (the adapter that lets you play master system games).

Virtua Fighter is also an important milestone in the history of gaming, 1st 3D fighter.

Was the Genesis 3 the all black console that was really compact and small? I used to have an original one, but I remember we traded it to a friend for a newer version.

I have a Genesis 3 and I like it's small size. I don't care about any Sega CD or 32X games so those aren't an issue.

BTW, I usually use my Nomad though.

Get a CDX.

Its tiny and plays both Genny and CD games. Plus it doubles as a "portable" cd player.

I'm pretty sure the 32X works with it, but I've had some problems getting mine to work 100%.

I definitely do want a 32x at some point, and probably a Sega CD also... A/V out would be nice also. That being said, which model is the one for me?

I had a genesis 1, its nice because it also has that headphone jack, genesis 3 is also nice but feels cheap and crappy and when you turn it on it doesn't even have a led, its a sticker, lol.

The original Genesis 1 , I belive is the best. First of all it looks the coolest. And you can hook up your earphone plug to your stereo.

[quote name='rockhero']I definitely do want a 32x at some point, and probably a Sega CD also... A/V out would be nice also. That being said, which model is the one for me?[/quote]
1 or 2 then. If you get the front loading Sega CD, then you'll want 1. If you get the top loader, then you'll want 2. The top loader is easier to find. I would say, unless you know you can get a front loader (which I'd kill for at this point), then get a 2.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I love my Genny 3...I have no desire to get all the SegaCD/32X jumble, and I think the only two games the Genny 3 doesn't play (due to the lack of the Z80) are the two Virtua games. Not a big loss. Plus you can toss in import carts (ones before the lockout chip) without an adapter.

It may not be "made" by Sega, but it's still officially licensed hardware.[/quote]
The Atari 10 in 1 joysticks are official, but they're not real to me. Theres a ton of great games on Sega CD that you'd miss out on if you never had one. 32x... You're not missing anything there. Plus you can't use a Power Base Converter on a Genesis 3 (the adapter that lets you play master system games).

Virtua Fighter is also an important milestone in the history of gaming, 1st 3D fighter.[/quote]

I agree on VF, but if you have that for Saturn, not being able to play the Genesis version isn't an issue. ;)

Genesis 1 - best looking. I can vouch for it's durability. I've had it for 15+ years and it works *great*. No flicker, no problems. That machine was ahead of it's time. SNES is a great machine too but I think the Genesis was way cooler looking, had the (aforementioned) head jack.. way cool.. the almost CD looking cartridge port, and the little red light all against the black body. We fired up Forgotten Realms the other day and right before we did I wiped the console down with a damp cloth and it is STILL gleaming black!

Coltyhuxx

You'll want to get the 1st or 2nd Model.

The original version was simply known as the Genesis. It had built-in volume control and true stereo A/V outputs. It is the bulkiest version of all.

The second version, known as "The Core" unit is just as stable, but without the volume controls and has mono A/V outputs (unless you can find a new set to use for it). It is square shaped too. .

The third version, known simply as "Genesis 3", is the smallest and worst of the 3 versions. It wasn't a true Sega release, as Majesco licensed the rights to release it themselves as Sega was moving on to Saturn. It has SLIGHTLY inferior sound and video, though I've never really noticed a difference. But it isn't as durable and can't play certain Genesis games, like "Gargoyles" for example.

Model 1:
genesisa.jpg

Model 2:
genesisb.jpg

Model 3:
genesisc.jpg

From http://www.vgmuseum.com/systems/genesis/

I saw a Genesis 3 at a Goodwill (with hookups and controller) for $10. They wouldn't let me carry it around . . . had to leave it at the counter. I decided against buying it (the rare wave of "I have too much of this crap lying around" hit me).

Two days later when I wised up it was gone . . . DOH! I do have a couple of the systems (2 ones and 2 twos) but I'm sure they all work

I even "forgot" that I have a Sega CD and 32X attached to a Gen 1. When I got it ($15 at a rummage sale), it only came with one power adapter.

Hooked the CD up last night and played Dragon's Lair . . . now I have to get some of the good games . . .

Okay, I'm pretty sure I have a Genesis 1, and I am now compelled to look for an A/V cable. Why a "replacement" one (as listed in my Subject header)? Well, I believe all I have is an RF cable, and I've always hated the distortion and fuzziness that comes when I occasionally hook up the beast for some Street Fighter II: Championship Edition or Streets of Rage (1 or 2). Where would you suggest I go to pick up a cheap connection? And I know that a pawn shop/thrift store might be cheapest, but I can't guarantee there'll be plenty if/when I get there. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

[quote name='rockhero']So I can't seem to find my old Genesis system and so I'm looking to buy a new one. I notice that there are a few different models floating around.. Any advice on which one to get?[/quote]

There are certain older (generally EA) Genesis games that will not play on anything but a Genesis 1. Therefore, I would go with that. Having owned all three Genesis models (and a Nomad to boot), I can say it's easily my favorite. I found the Model 3 to move around too much due to its lack of weight - just handling the controller tended to cause the thing to flop all over the place.

If you can get it, though, get a Nomad. Very nice indeed!

RD

[quote name='schultzed']I saw a Genesis 3 at a Goodwill (with hookups and controller) for $10. They wouldn't let me carry it around . . . had to leave it at the counter. I decided against buying it (the rare wave of "I have too much of this crap lying around" hit me).[/quote]

Ah, Goodwill. I nabbed a SNES for $4.99 there just before Christmas. 8)

RD

bread's done
Back