sega models question

metroidkiller9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
i was wondering how many sega genisis models there are and which, if any, have inputs for the red, white, yellow a/v plugs. also how do you know which model you have. i have a genisis but it doesnt have the a/v inputs and im not sure what model it is. thanks.

There were 3 models, and they're all capable of AV if you have the proper cables, but IIRC only the 2 and 3 came with AV plugs by default. The original was packaged with an RF adapter.

There are 3 offical different genesis models. Like WhipSmaryBanky said.

In addition to those models, there are variations within the models. The third model does not have the volume adjustment or headphone jack.

There are also several sega or other licenced products that play genesis games.

The JVC X eye, which I believe also may have s-video. I have to check mine. composet output

The Sega CDX - dont remember av output

The Sega Nomad - no composet

actually, i remember the nomad could be hooked up to a tv. im not sure if it used av or rf, but im pretty sure it used a sega 2's av cables.

i just checked my genisis. i dont think it is the original because its small and i remeber my friend having a bigger one with a switch to turn it on instead of a button to press like mine. still not sure if its model 2 or 3 but the only cable i have is an official sega rf adaptor. i checked the back of it and it does say a/v out but the output is a weird patterned port. ive never seen any cables that would fit in that and have yellow, red, and white plugs on the other end. thanks banky but can anyone else help?

okay. after reading theenternals post i have concluded that it is a model 3.

if it says SEGA real small on top its a number 2. I think that the number 3 Genesis's actually have GENESIS with a 3 through it

okay now after i edited my previous post i read sneakys and now i think its the model 2. somehow i think im more confused than to begin with. anyone else?

god damn everytime i post something someone says something else to make me think something different. my genisis says both sega and genisis but has no 3 anywhere on the top.

[quote name='Theenternal']There are 3 offical different genesis models. Like WhipSmaryBanky said.

In addition to those models, there are variations within the models. The third model does not have the volume adjustment or headphone jack.
[/quote]

The first model is rectangular with a volume adjustment.

The second model is a square with no volume adjustment.

The third is a very, very ugly egg shaped system that says "Genesis 3".

CDX is the coolest by far, though ;-).

you cant use av cables on a one right? i may have to get a second genny. i used to see new in box 3's in some stores last year, but im not sure if theystill have em.

Sounds like you have the second model. Check the bottom of your Genesis for a model number. The first Genesis is model # MK-1601. The second Genesis is model # MK-1631 and the third is MK-1641. Here's a link to pics of each model too:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/systems/genesis/

The first model is on top, the second is bottom left, and the third is bottom right.

Also, you can get AV cables on Ebay for each of these models, but make sure you buy the correct AV cables for your model # as the funky connector you're looking at on the back of your Genesis differs with each model.

Also, SneakyPenguin was correct about the Nomad. I have a Nomad and I'm able to hook it up to a TV with the Second Genesis' AV cable. The Nomad kicks ass and if you like the Genesis, I highly recommend trying to find one. Again ebay is probably the only place you'll find one. That's where I got mine and I friggin' love it!

alright thanks to everyone for their help and to casey for the link. ordered a pair along with bust a move for neo geo pocket color. okay thats about 400 dollars ive spent on video games in the past week. i think im done until june.

[quote name='Theenternal']There are 3 offical different genesis models. Like WhipSmaryBanky said.

There are also several sega or other licenced products that play genesis games.

The JVC X eye, which I believe also may have s-video. I have to check mine. composet output

The Sega CDX - dont remember av output

The Sega Nomad - no composet[/quote]

the cdx and nomad have the same pins as a genny 2 Av cable

Oh yeah you also forgot the pioneer sega module that played sega cd and genny games ;-)

I was meaning composet outputs as far as the raw red yellow white jacks. Without being converted to rca. Like on the 1001 playstation models.

Yea I knew there was one more, but forgot.

I have about 20 genesis, from when I was selling. They have some interesting differences in each model class. Like some older model 1's U.S systems have Mega Drive written on it.

[quote name='Theenternal']Like some older model 1's U.S systems have Mega Drive written on it.[/quote]

The Mega Drive is an import. A lot of those found their way to the states for some reason.

Anyways, here's some info on the Genesis, which I originally posted in this thread.

Here's what each model looks like (with apologies to you 56k users):

Model 1
genesis.jpg

Model 2, a little slimmer than model 1. No headphone jack, though.
Sega%20Genesis.jpg

Here's Model 3, a lot smaller than models 1 and 2. It also has a wider cart slot for playing imports.
genesis3.jpg

And for those who have never seen it and wonder how the 32X and Sega CD connected to the Genesis, here's a model 2 with those hooked up. The Sega CD is a model 2.
DSCF0087.JPG

And here's a Model 1 connected to the model 1 Sega CD (with the sliding disc tray).
genesisandcd.jpg

And here's more info on the model 3, from Digital Press:

This was the third model of the console, even smaller than the Genesis 2. It's significantly different than the first two models in other areas as well. You cannot connect a Sega CD to it as the expansion port has been removed. Because it lacks the Z80 processor found in the previous models, it is incompatible with the Power Base Converter (which allows it to play Master System games), a Game Genie, or several other more advanced Genesis titles like Virtua Racing. You can, however, plug a Mega Drive cartridge into it without a converter though if the cart has a lockout you're still out of luck.

[quote name='Theenternal']I was meaning composet outputs as far as the raw red yellow white jacks. Without being converted to rca. Like on the 1001 playstation models.

Yea I knew there was one more, but forgot.

I have about 20 genesis, from when I was selling. They have some interesting differences in each model class. Like some older model 1's U.S systems have Mega Drive written on it.[/quote]

One other thing. I'm not 100% on this, but I don't know if the Genesis 2 can support stereo sound through the A/V cables. I think they only have the white and yellow, rather than the white, yellow, and red cable. I have a CDX and it has a stereo A/V cable, and I think the same cable can be used with the Nomad, but not the Genesis 2. Not sure though.

www.sega-parts.com

If it helps, i use my sega cdx cable on my nomad with no problems.I havent had a sega model 2 in like 10 years so i couldnt tell you.

Oh yeah about the mega drive bit, sega sold more in NA tha orignally planned, so they swapped out stock with japan to meet the demand.

The mega drive name was also used in europe, not just japan ;-)

bread's done
Back