Sega Saturn help-a-newb

jagwire1141

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I'm looking into buying a sega saturn for about $8 with two controllers. I've never owned one in spite of owning both a Genesis and a Dreamcast so I don't know much about the Saturn. I saw a cartridge slot, does it play Genesis games too? It looks to be the same size. Also, what are the good games that are cheap, not Panzer DS or Nights?

I'm in the same boat, but I believe that its for a memory expansion or something and an internet.. something or other. It's not for genny games though, I thought the same thing.

As far as good games.. I'm really wondering that myself. I only own 2 games right now, but i'm shopping around for some other saturn games to get a hold of.

Well all the recommendations are for PDS, Nights and the other $80 game and I'd rather just get a cool sonic or something that came out for it for like $5.

$8?! Very nice! I got mine for $20 with a handful of games, two controllers, the steering wheel, and the hard-to-find official Sega save cart.

The cart slot is for, as I just mentioned, a way of saving games to a cart. It's pretty nice, since the console doesn't have too much memory itself. At least the battery is easy to replace on the machine.

That cart slot is used for a save game cart, two different sized memory expansion carts, and a region unlock (play japanese games) cart. You can buy this cart called a 4in1 that does all of those things in the same cart.

Decent Saturn games are expensive. Even the more common games can run $10 or so. And the better games can easily cost $40-50 and more. Its not a cag-friendly system to collect for.

Best place to get games for it at this point is ebay. Some sites still sell Saturn games, like Estarland, or import sites like Play-Asia, but their selection is often very limited.

Good games that wont break the bank include:

- Sega Rally
- Fighters Megamix
- Nights into Dreams
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Dark Saviour
- Die Hard Arcade
- Astal
- Last Bronx

P2240010.jpg

P2240011.jpg

P2240012.jpg

P2240013.jpg

P2240014.jpg

P2240015.jpg

Love these stickers!

P2240016.jpg

P2240017.jpg

The kicker.

All in all I'm happy. The NHL game is a little awkward but it was worth three bucks. The system actually came with a Genesis power cord so I just used my Dreamcast's cord for the Saturn. I got an extra controller and an RF adapter. It's pretty cool!

[quote name='Aberforth']I suggest Guardian Heroes, I'm pretty sure you can find that one cheap.[/QUOTE]
Easily over $50 for a complete copy.

Nice find there OP! I'd like to find an AV cord for mine. A local pawn shop regularly has Saturn controllers so thats a non issue really. I remember I used to play the living hell out of Street Fighter Alpha 2. Though, I have a feeling that I'm of the rare view that actually own Quake 1 for the Saturn lol...

I also recently got a Saturn and the only game I have is some random MLB game that happened to be in it when I bought it. I want to pick up a copy of NiGHTS, but I keep hearing about the controller that came with it originally. Do you need to have that controller to play it, or will it work with the standard controllers?

[quote name='Yaxley']I also recently got a Saturn and the only game I have is some random MLB game that happened to be in it when I bought it. I want to pick up a copy of NiGHTS, but I keep hearing about the controller that came with it originally. Do you need to have that controller to play it, or will it work with the standard controllers?[/QUOTE]
Technically, yes, it's compatible with a standard controller...

...but no, you don't want to play it that way. Really. Seriously.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Technically, yes, it's compatible with a standard controller...

...but no, you don't want to play it that way. Really. Seriously.[/quote] Thanks. That was what I suspected, but I wanted to be sure before I spent the extra money.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Technically, yes, it's compatible with a standard controller...

...but no, you don't want to play it that way. Really. Seriously.[/quote]

I find all of the 3d games on the Saturn control poorly with the standard controllers. The 3d controllers are a must to fully enjoy all of the games the Saturn has to offer.

Nice boxed Saturn for that price!

The cartidge slot was also used for the Sega Netlink a dialup modem, which came with a keyboard. My first trip online was via the Netlink. Good times the Saturn.

Saturn is a great system, but yeah all of the good stuff is so expensive that's why I played the Japanese versions of everything to save money. Nights was like $5. But even some of the Japan only games are really expensive. I never got to play Princess Crown because it costs $60-80 bucks.

I'd like to recommend that you find an S-Video cable to hook your Saturn to your TV (provided your TV has an S-Video port). I got one from a CAG a long time ago and it is SO much better than RF or standard AV cables.

[quote name='mogamer']I find all of the 3d games on the Saturn control poorly with the standard controllers. The 3d controllers are a must to fully enjoy all of the games the Saturn has to offer.[/QUOTE]
It's great too for some of the racing games. Touring Car was a blast with the 3D controller.

Great buy on the in box saturn. I got mine last summer for $20. It came with two controllers and a ton of games (No system box though). I haven't played it much...it does look like crap through the ol' rf connector.

I have a problem with it though. Everytime I start it up, it makes me put in the date and time...I assume there is a battery that needs replaced...does anyone know anything about that? (ex. Is it easy and cheap, is there a link that shows me how to do it?) Thanks.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Great buy on the in box saturn. I got mine last summer for $20. It came with two controllers and a ton of games (No system box though). I haven't played it much...it does look like crap through the ol' rf connector.

I have a problem with it though. Everytime I start it up, it makes me put in the date and time...I assume there is a battery that needs replaced...does anyone know anything about that? (ex. Is it easy and cheap, is there a link that shows me how to do it?) Thanks.[/QUOTE]
CR2032. Dirt cheap. Just open the little hatch on the back of the Saturn, pop the old one out, pop the new one in. Anything easier and I don't think you could click the link if you were given one.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']CR2032. Dirt cheap. Just open the little hatch on the back of the Saturn, pop the old one out, pop the new one in. Anything easier and I don't think you could click the link if you were given one.[/quote]

God, that was a funny post...thanks. Next time I think about it I'll pick one up.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']God, that was a funny post...thanks. Next time I think about it I'll pick one up.[/QUOTE]
Shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks at WalMart. No more than $5 at the worst retailers. You can also get a Backup RAM cart. They're a lot more expensive to come by than a new battery, but it has tons more storage space.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher'] Though, I have a feeling that I'm of the rare view that actually own Quake 1 for the Saturn lol...[/QUOTE]

Same here.

And OP, you got Version 2 (round power/reset buttons).

[quote name='depascal22']Nice find, OP! If you're into 2D fighters, you've just found the best system on the planet.[/quote]

*coughNeoGeoAEScough*

;)

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks at WalMart. No more than $5 at the worst retailers. You can also get a Backup RAM cart. They're a lot more expensive to come by than a new battery, but it has tons more storage space.[/quote]

hey...thanks again, picked a battery up and it has made the whole saturn experience more enjoyable (the system has been moved from the garage and into my living room).

Now I just need some decent, but cheap, games. I have Resident Evil (which I have never played), a couple 3d fighters, Myst, and some other crap games. I hope I find some good games during this yard sale season (crosses fingers and hopes for panzer dragoon and nights).

[quote name='hootie']*coughNeoGeoAEScough*

;)[/quote]
IMO, the Dreamcast is the best system for 2D fighters. It has NeoGeo and Capcom fighters on it!

[quote name='mogamer']IMO, the Dreamcast is the best system for 2D fighters. It has NeoGeo and Capcom fighters on it![/QUOTE]
I dunno though, side by side, the Saturn version of SF Zero 3 with the 4MB RAMcart just looked...I dunno...better...than the DC version.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I dunno though, side by side, the Saturn version of SF Zero 3 with the 4MB RAMcart just looked...I dunno...better...than the DC version.[/quote]

I've heard that from many other sources, but the Dreamcast had Marvel vs Capcom 2, KOF series, Street Fighter III series, Capcom vs SNK, Guilty Gear. A pretty impressive line up.

The Saturn version of Alpha/Zero 3 is superior to the DC version because DC version is a port of the PSOne version with enlarge sprite. That means the hit area is mess up (ie you can attack can touch someone, but it isnt recognize as a hit)
The Saturn has the earlier VS and KoF games, Samuari Showdown 3 +4, and even lesser known games like Waku Waku 7. A very good line up overall.

Of course the PS2 has many of those games ported.

bread's done
Back