Sega Superstars Tennis - Gen Discussion & Info

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
270153b.jpg

So, is anyone looking at getting the game? I'm going to admit I'm really excited about this, since I enjoy Tennis games and really like Sega characters. Unfortunately I cannot buy this on release, but I plan to get it sometime this month. Also, the PS3 version does have online play so we can have some CAG games if people ever decide to get it.

Since the game is made by Sumo Digital (who worked on Virtua Tennis on PSP along with the 360/PS3 version of VT3), I think it should be all right and would be fun to play.

Also, it's only $50.

Here are some of the characters I hear:
Sonic the Hedgehog Series

Characters
Sonic (Speed), Shadow (Speed), Amy (All Round), Tails (Spin), Dr Eggman (Power)
Courts
Sonic the Hedgehog (Green Hill Zone), Sonic the Hedgehog (Eggman Robot Room)
Music: Court 1
Seaside Hill, Ocean Palace, System Screen Select, Green Hill Zone
Music: Court 2
Final Fortress, Bullet Station, Egg Fleet, Scrap Brain Zone
Mini Game
Avoid bombs and lightning balls that robots send at you, collect rings

Super Monkey Ball Series

Characters
AiAi (Spin), MeeMee(Spin)
Courts
Super Monkey Ball
Music
Jungle, Storm, Monkey Fight, Bowling
Mini Game
Send banana/monkey balls through gates

NiGHTS Series

Characters
NiGHTS (All Round), Reala (All Round)
Courts
NiGHTs
Music
Sweeping Seashore, The Amazing Water, She Had Long Ears, Paternal Horn,
Mini Game
None

Space Channel 5 Series

Characters
Ulala (Control), Pudding (Control)
Courts
Space Channel 5
Music
The Reporter from Space Channel 5, Coco Tapioka: The Huge Dancer, Space Ship: Strut, Asteroid Belt: Go! Go! “Astrobeat Jr”,
Mini Game
None

Jet Set Radio Series

Characters
Beat (Speed), Gum (Speed)
Courts
Jet Set Radio
Music
Let Mom Sleep, Fly Like a Butterfly, Everybody Jump Around
Mini Game
Hit spray tags after collecting cans, knock combo off the net, avoid police.

Samba De Amigo Series

Characters
Amigo (Power)
Courts
Samba De Amigo
Music
Samba de Janeiro, Mamto Beat, El Ritmo Tropical
Mini Game
None

Alex Kidd Series

Characters
Alex Kidd (Control)
Courts
None
Music
None
Mini Game
None

Golden Axe Series

Characters
Gilius (Power)
Courts
None
Music
None
Mini Game
None

House of the Dead Series

Characters
None
Courts
Curien Mansion
Music
Tragedy, Revenge, Final Stage
Mini Game
Hit Zombies to stop them attacking you, avoid tennis racket throwing Zombies, help survivors across the court.

After Burner Series

Characters
None
Courts
After Burner (Aircraft Carrier)
Music
Vertical Hot Air, After Burner Climax, After Burner Climax Remix
Mini Game
None

Outrun Series

Characters
None
Courts
Outrun (Beach)
Music
Passing Breeze (Euro Remix), Magical Sound Shower (Euro Remix), Splash Wave (Outrun 2SP – Japan Arrange Ver.),
Mini Game
None

Space Harrier Series

Characters
None
Courts
None
Music
Space Harrier Theme, Battle Field
Mini Game
Use Wii Remote and Nunchuk to avoid SH obstacles and serve balls to destroy enemies (Mukadense, Squilla, Tomos, Ida).

Puyo Pop Fever Series

Characters
None
Courts
None
Music
Puyo Battle #1. Puyo Battle #2, Puyo Battle #3 (vs Arie), Puyo Battle #4 (vs Last Boss), Endless Puyo
Mini Game
Clear Puyo Pop levels by hitting Puyos; big groups equal huge points

Virtua Cop Series

Characters
None
Courts
None
Music
Arms Black Market, Gang Headquarters
Mini Game
Use Wii Remote pointer to shoot at enemies and save innocents. Hit weapons for Justice Shot and fight against Kong.

Chu Chu Rocket Series

Characters
None
Courts
None
Music
Haven’t finished yet
Mini Game
Hit arrow panels to send Chus into Rocket, hit Kapus to knock them off the map

I liked VT a lot but not a fan of realistic characters (part of the reason I liked Hot Shots Tennis more). Just seeing all the Sega characters in the game makes me want to buy this. I'm definitely buying this on PS3 regardless.

I'm going to wait and see how well Sega supports this title.. I mean there's more Sega characters that need to be in this game.

Golden axe, Streets of Rage, vectorman, Phantasy Star, Altered Beast, Yakuza, Shinobi,

That's at least 12 players max that can be added to the game.

I personally hate when they just slap Sonic or Mario's grill on just about any sporting event you can dream up, even though its kinda different starring the entire Sega cast, but the "Mario Tennis" "Sonic Spinball" stuff still disappoints me.

[quote name='mykevermin']That last group of spoilers makes me want this game. Alas, I'm more of a Top Spin player.[/quote]Holy crap, just saw that.

Pretty sure I'm picking his game up now. I wanted it before, but now I must have it.
I like me a few tennis games now and then.

[quote name='Arakai']I personally hate when they just slap Sonic or Mario's grill on just about any sporting event you can dream up, even though its kinda different starring the entire Sega cast, but the "Mario Tennis" "Sonic Spinball" stuff still disappoints me.[/QUOTE]

What other sport games has Sonic been used on besides this (and Olympic games I guess)?

It's mainly been a Mario thing. Only big sport he hasn't been in yet is football I think. That's why I kinda didn't like Mario last gen, seemed like Nintendo was whoring him out a little too much.

[quote name='whoknows']What other sport games has Sonic been used on besides this (and Olympic games I guess)?

It's mainly been a Mario thing. Only big sport he hasn't been in yet is football I think. That's why I kinda didn't like Mario last gen, seemed like Nintendo was whoring him out a little too much.[/quote]

Didn't they make a couple "Sonic Kart" and "Sonic Snowboarding" "Pinball" I guess not that many sports games, but all kinds of useless ones in general which are just whoring him out in the same manner.

I could be wrong, I've started to lose track back when it started with Mario, guess I'm just tired of seeing Sonic popping up so much recently without actually starring in a decent Sonic game. I'd kill for one :)

[quote name='Arakai']Didn't they make a couple "Sonic Kart" and "Sonic Snowboarding" "Pinball" I guess not that many sports games, but all kinds of useless ones in general which are just whoring him out in the same manner.

I could be wrong, I've started to lose track back when it started with Mario, guess I'm just tired of seeing Sonic popping up so much recently without actually starring in a decent Sonic game. I'd kill for one :)[/QUOTE]

There was a kart racing game in Sonic Adventure 2 and the Sonic Riders games, but that's pretty much it. Sonic Spinball was on the Genesis which was awhile ago

[quote name='Arakai']Didn't they make a couple "Sonic Kart" and "Sonic Snowboarding" "Pinball" I guess not that many sports games, but all kinds of useless ones in general which are just whoring him out in the same manner./QUOTE]There never was a Sonic Snowboarding game itself. There was a Kart racing Sonic game on Game Gear called Sonic Drift 1 and 2.

Anyway, I played the demo and feel it's pretty good, but extremely hard. However, I found the VT3 demo to not be so easy (while the full game was much easier), so I'm still probably going to buy. Definitely fun and I like the classic Sega music.

I tried the demo and didn't care much for the actual tennis, but the HotD minigame was hilarious. Also, a Virtua Cop stage... There's a series that's about due for a compilation.

I ended up buying the game for $40 today new. Haven't played it yet, but since I enjoyed the demo a lot, I decided to buy. From many I heard who had the full version said the game is much smoother than the demo.

I finally played the demo today. I liked the music :p

Besides that, it was fun...not as fluid as Virtua Tennis, but it was still good. I'll definitely be grabbing this sooner or later

I tried the demo.. Too hard for me.. I played like three or four games and I COULD NOT GET ONE BALL PAST THAT LITTLE FREAKING MONKEY.
I dunno, I've played other tennis games in the past, but this one seems way too hard or maybe I just suck? lol
I did have fun with the bonus game knocking down the zombies..

I dunno, maybe I'll give this game a rent and try some of the other characters.

If you are playing as Shadow, you may suck at first (since Shadow is pretty hard to play against AiAi). It's much easier with AiAi. I'm going to open my copy sometime this week and explain how it is.

The demo was a tad tough; however, I could say the same for the VT3 demos on PS3/360 (full versions were much easier).

I played the full game and it's a lot easier than the demo (It has an easy difficulty setting). Characters like NiGHTs control really smooth. The superstars mode is pretty cool because you get to play various mini-games, matches, and tournaments. I definitely see it becoming addicting. I love playing the Tennis stages of various Sega games, such as Samba, because it plays my favorite music in the game.

It sucks that it's difficult to find people online, but the online is setup pretty good, so I can easily do private matches with people (who are on my buddy list and who are not).

Definitely liking the game more than I thought I would and happy with the purchase. I say controls are smoother than the demo, but there is an occasional miss (where it can be difficult to get to a certain spot at a particular time).

Sorry to make a third post, but I wanted to let everyone know the game is $20 at GS now. The demo may have some issues, but the full version is a lot better IMO (some missions can be tough). C'mon, I need some CAGs to play this online with. ;)

It's become one of my favorite this year (those who are on my buddy list see I play it a lot). Any Sega fan should definitely buy IMO at that price. Mini-games are quite fun.

Thanks. I've been wanting to pick this up to play with the wife since it was on sale at GC. Now that it's dropped at GS, I have no excuse.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Sorry to make a third post, but I wanted to let everyone know the game is $20 at GS now. The demo may have some issues, but the full version is a lot better IMO (some missions can be tough). C'mon, I need some CAGs to play this online with. ;)

It's become one of my favorite this year (those who are on my buddy list see I play it a lot). Any Sega fan should definitely buy IMO at that price. Mini-games are quite fun.[/quote]

If I could find it for $20, I'd consider picking it up. But I'm getting Persona 3 FES today, so I will likely be offline for a month or so.

Well, I just unlocked the Virtua Squad mini-games and enjoying them. I'm still stuck on a trickshot with the Super Monkey Ball mini-games, a Jet Set Radio mini-game (where I have to paint something in several colors), Puyo Pop Fever game where I have to clear all Puyo, and the 2nd stage on Sionic where I have to avoid the bombs and shock.

I hope to get them beaten since I want to unlock more characters, but eventually I will.

I just grabbed it today for $20 and I think it was well worth it. Once you get the hang of the gameplay it's a lot of fun to play.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Repeatedly, with both available characters.[/QUOTE]The full game is NO where near that hard, and the controls are much smoother. I keep trying to tell people over and over again, the demo is dated and doesn't really represent the final product well. The full game is actually pretty easy for the most part (and has difficulty settings). It also eases you into the game.

[quote name='whoknows']I didn't think the demo was hard at all...maybe at first when I was figuring out how to play, but that's all.[/QUOTE]I agree because after playing it more, I got really good at the demo, but the full version is still much easier. It's just that if you try playing like a Mario Tennis, Virtua Tennis, etc., you just won't get it IMO.

bread's done
Back