Seinfeld 32 dvd box set 11/06

kramer1

CAG Veteran
When "Seinfeld" went off the air in May 1998, its two-part finale scored huge ratings, with more than 75 million people tuning in. TV Land paid tribute to the celebrated sitcom about a neurotic New Yorker and his bumbling pals by airing no programming that night in the show's time slot, instead showing a photo of a closed office door.

Now, "Seinfeld" is about to end its complete-season run on DVD. Season 9, a four-disc set with all 24 episodes from its final season, will be released November 6 by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

That same day, consumers will be able to buy an elaborate boxed set with all nine seasons. "Seinfeld: The Complete Series" weighs in at 32 discs and carries a suggested list price of $283.95. That buys consumers not just all 180 episodes but also a wealth of bonus features, both electronic and physical.

The highlight: a 226-page coffee-table book filled with photos, quotes, trivia and personal reflections from star Jerry Seinfeld.

"When the show wrapped, the book, which had taken years to assemble, was privately shared with only the cast and crew," said Marc Rashba, VP marketing at Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. "When we were launching the TV-DVD series sets five years ago, we loved it so much, but we took a look, and it was ridiculously expensive to put it out. Now, we reshaped and redesigned it, and we were able to make it happen. It's the first time the public will get to see it."

The book comes with a bonus DVD featuring a first-ever cast reunion round-table discussion with Seinfeld, co-creator Larry David and co-stars Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Michael Richards. The hourlong discussion finds the cast and David together again on the ninth anniversary of the series finale.
Don't Miss

Other special features in the boxed set are documentaries on all nine seasons, bloopers, deleted scenes, commentaries and more.

"We talked about this from the beginning, when we launched this," Rashba said. "We always knew we wanted to wrap up with something special."

From the start, Sony Pictures' "Seinfeld" DVD season sets were lauded for their innovative special features. Season 9 is no exception, including such novel extras as a restructured version of "The Betrayal," the notorious reverse-playing episode, shown going forward.

credit: cnn.com

i love seinfeld but i already have the first 8 seasons, so i wont be buying another seinfeld set until an hd set comes out.

unless... FOR SALE Seinfeld Season 1-8, lightly used, $240 shipped... pm me.

It's a nice idea, but with all the previous seasons having been out for a while now, you can get them as cheap as $15 new. There's no way that this box set will even come close to $15/season.

[quote name='kaw']But does the coffee table book have legs so it can be used as a coffee table?[/QUOTE]

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing!

One would think they would release this book/DVD separately, as most Seinfeld fans already own seasons 1-8. But, they probably won't. I really want that extra disc, but not enough to re-buy 28 DVDs.

[quote name='defiance_17']One would think they would release this book/DVD separately, as most Seinfeld fans already own seasons 1-8. But, they probably won't. I really want that extra disc, but not enough to re-buy 28 DVDs.[/QUOTE]
Yeah same here. I knew this would happen eventually but could not hold off buying the seasons individually. I would want that extra disc and the book but it would not make sense to even try and sell the individual seasons, seeing how cheap they are now even new.

I don't understand why everyone ran out and bought the DVDs so fast, everyone should have known there would be a complete set.

From the start, Sony Pictures' "Seinfeld" DVD season sets were lauded for their innovative special features. Season 9 is no exception, including such novel extras as a restructured version of "The Betrayal," the notorious reverse-playing episode, shown going forward.

That sounds cool.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I don't understand why everyone ran out and bought the DVDs so fast, everyone should have known there would be a complete set.
[/QUOTE]
"So fast"? It's not like they all just came out. Of course a complete boxed set was expected, but including special features exclusive to said compilation is a bullshit move. Like I said, most Seinfeld fans already own these discs, and this is punishment.

I'm hoping the ninth season will have a boxset (similar to the one for seasons 1/2 and The Puffy Shirt set) that includes the coffee table book.

Not a bullshit move, they do it all the time.

Is an HD set of Seinfeld even possible? I'm guessing it wasn't even filmed in widescreen, so what would be the point?

[quote name='DestroVega']Not a bullshit move, they do it all the time.
[/quote]

I was just about to say that.

Everyone should have known because they do it all the time. I haven't bought BSG season 2 or plan on season 3 because by next Christmas they most likely have a complete set out will all these specials.

If the show is ending soon, or already eneded, you should know just to wait. Is it bullshit? Of course, but it's done all the time and if you are a cheap ass you should know that.

[quote name='DestroVega']Is an HD set of Seinfeld even possible? I'm guessing it wasn't even filmed in widescreen, so what would be the point?[/QUOTE]

Non widescreen HD is still HD. As long as the HD transfer is good, I don't see a problem with it.

(Also... nice Doom avatar. I'm going to see him this Tuesday.)

[quote name='DestroVega']Is an HD set of Seinfeld even possible? I'm guessing it wasn't even filmed in widescreen, so what would be the point?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it.

There is a giant chance it was filmed on tape instead of film.

- edit Ha, I was wrong. "Seinfeld was filmed on 35mm film stock using Panavision equipment"

siamesellama is correct. Adventures Of Robin Hood is 1:33 aspect ration and it's still great looking.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I was just about to say that.

Everyone should have known because they do it all the time. I haven't bought BSG season 2 or plan on season 3 because by next Christmas they most likely have a complete set out will all these specials.

If the show is ending soon, or already eneded, you should know just to wait. Is it bullshit? Of course, but it's done all the time and if you are a cheap ass you should know that.[/QUOTE]

They've been doing it a lot lately, but back when the Seinfeld disks first started coming out it wasn't a common practice at all.

And now I've been screwed twice in one month, on both Seinfeld and Stargate.

I knew this would happen sooner or later, which is why I stopped buying the season sets after S1 (and I only bought that because there was a B1G1F sale on TV DVDs and that was the only other one worth getting). Now I just need to sell that off for a few bucks, and hope that Borders releases another 40% off coupon this holiday season like they did last year.

There are just so many Complete Series sets coming out this year. This one, Gilmore Girls (I already have the first six seasons though, so no point in that one), Full House, Kind of Queens, Star Trek: TNG, Angel, Everybody Loves Raymond, The X-Files, Stargate SG-1, Northern Exposure...and those are just all the shows I care about. There's no way I could get all of those, so I'll just have to pick and choose which of those are truly worth getting this year.

Im not sure if the coffee table book will be the coffee table book with legs, or just a good pun....

Anyways, it sounds good....in theory....because in practice, well, money.....

I guess Im content with reruns on tv......

[quote name='kramer1']"Seinfeld: The Complete Series"...carries a suggested list price of $283.95. was ridiculously expensive to put it out. Now, we reshaped and redesigned it, and we were able to make it happen.[/quote]

Let's do the math: CAGs can find any season for $19.99 new after it's been out for a few months. Season sets x 8 = $159.92 (S1&2 count as one), so the book and new box packaging is the remaining $124.03. Sounds rediculously expensive to me, they were right.

Anyone interested in just the book can probably get it from eBay after it's released. I almost got my puffy shirt that way, but found a good deal for the shirt+DVD set instead.

But no one's actually gonna sell this set at MSRP (and if so, you'd be stupid to buy it from them, since there will be plenty of places selling it for less), and with additional discounts, you can get this set for about the same price as buying all the individual sets on sale.

Like I said earlier, I'm waiting for Borders to put out another 40% off coupon (they did around last holiday season, and they also did one earlier this year). Even though that discount is taken off the MSRP, you'll still only wind up paying around $170 in the end, which is totally worth it (only about $10 for the new packaging and the book, using your equation).

[quote name='Trakan']It's a nice idea, but with all the previous seasons having been out for a while now, you can get them as cheap as $15 new. There's no way that this box set will even come close to $15/season.[/quote]
Where can you get them for $15?

[quote name='Rockgamer']...you'll still only wind up paying around $170 in the end, which is totally worth it (only about $10 for the new packaging and the book, using your equation).[/quote]

That would indeed be an excellent deal.

Where can you get them for $15?

A few months ago FYE had a nice rebate sale. I bought Seinfeld S1-7 new for $9.99 each after a $14 rebate as a wedding present for a friend of mine. Since you can use the sticker UPC, I didn't even have to cut the packaging to get my rebate $. That was the best deal I've ever seen, period. (FYI: I received my rebate check from them without a hitch)

Rule of thumb for any season set: always watch carefully when a new season comes out for good deals on previous seasons. I'm still waiting for season 8 for

I'm definitely picking this up. And I doubt it will cost the suggested list price of $283.95. Amazon has the Everybody Loves Raymond set for $195.99 even though the list price is $279.98 and the Friends set only costs $159.99 even though it has a list price of $299.98.

Even if they sell it for a conservative price of $199.99, $22.22 a season isn't bad considering you get all those extras.

I dont think high def would be a good idea, could you imagine kramer in 1080i or hearing Newmans stomach in 8.3 surround. Nay, sir, nay. Some things are better just the way they are.

bread's done
Back