Select Blu-ray Boxsets on sale at Best Buy

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Best Buy has dropped the price on several Blu-ray Box sets, all coming from Fox I believe.

Online:

Alien Anthology - $39.99
Coen Brothers Collection - $19.99 (Deal of the Week)
Die Hard Collection - $29.99
Man With No Name Trilogy - $19.99
Mel Brooks Collection - $39.99
Robocop Trilogy - $19.99
X-Men Trilogy (9 Discs) - $29.99 (Note: The individual movies are $9.99 each and come with movie cash to see Prometheus so it's the better deal if you want that)

In-Store:

Planet of the Apes 5-Film collection - $29.99
Rocky Collection - $29.99

There's possibly more too, feel free to let me know and I'll add them. If the links don't work, just search for them on the site

Last edited by a moderator:
Before jumping on the X-Men trilogy set, they currently have the individual blu-ray/dvd/digital copy movies on sale for $9.99 apiece and each one comes with a $10 code to see Prometheus.

[quote name='Sycowulf']The Mel Brooks Collection for 40 bucks... that's really, really hard to resist.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's probably the best value of all the ones listed

[quote name='Sycowulf']The Mel Brooks Collection for 40 bucks... that's really, really hard to resist.[/QUOTE]

Does the new edition also come with the book, like a smaller version of it?

[quote name='Havokscry']Before jumping on the X-Men trilogy set, they currently have the individual blu-ray/dvd/digital copy movies on sale for $9.99 apiece and each one comes with a $10 code to see Prometheus.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't going to get this since I only need 2 of the stand alones but thanks did not know this and think I'll picked up the other two I need with those tickets.

I picked up the Rocky Collection for $29.99 (includes all 6 movies) in-store.

No listing online for this one though which is kind of odd.

thanks all, I added all the ones mentioned. That Planet of the Apes set for $30 is a great deal too. I got the older (bigger) version for $40 a while back and love it

[quote name='tcrash247']Has that Alien set been under $40? I've been wanting it but didn't really want to spend that much on it.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't dropped much lower than that. Amazon Warehouse Deals had it for around $38 or so I think but I can't recall it being lower. Now, you can get the UK version of it for cheaper. It's not as nice looking as this (in my opinion) as it comes in a plastic case rather than a cardboard book style case, but the diiscs are exactly the same. You can get that for around $25-29 shipped from Amazon UK

How is the packaging for Coen Bros and Mel Brooks? Do they come in individual cases? I'm assuming not but thought I'd ask. With collections like these where the movies aren't part of a series I try to get them in individual cases.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']How is the packaging for Coen Bros and Mel Brooks? Do they come in individual cases? I'm assuming not but thought I'd ask. With collections like these where the movies aren't part of a series I try to get them in individual cases.[/QUOTE]

I know for sure the Coen bro. set has all the individual cases in a slipbox. I believe that's the case for the Mel Brooks collection too according to someone who bought it. The MB set is a re-release that just came out this past tuesday, before that it was a bigger set that didn't have individual cases.

edit: I'm wrong about Mel Brooks, it's actually a jumbo plastic case with all the discs inside.

Similar to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyCO50DJ1s

Also if anyone was considering getting Die Hard collection for that price..
Don't. Its been less many times. Picked one off of WalMart.com for I believe $20 or $25.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It hasn't dropped much lower than that. Amazon Warehouse Deals had it for around $38 or so I think but I can't recall it being lower. Now you can get the UK version of it for cheaper. It's not as nice looking as this as it comes in a plastic case rather than a cardboard book style case, but the diiscs are exactly the same. You can get that for around $25-29 shipped from Amazon UK[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just got the Aliens set from Amazon UK for $18 shipped not too long ago. Check there for the set.

[quote name='Arakias']Yeah I just got the Aliens set from Amazon UK for $18 shipped not too long ago. Check there for the set.[/QUOTE]

$18 is nice, but it must be the version without any special features... the full imported set is currently around $25 (and that's the lowest it's been afaik).

I didn't see this posted, but my best buy was selling the special edition of the walking dead season one (the one with the zombie mask) on blu for 26.99. Apparently they were really over-priced before.

In for the Coen Brothers set. I was just looking at that this past weekend and wishing it was cheaper. Can't beat $5 per film! :applause:

Is the Man with no name a good trilogy? I have only heard good things of it but I have never seen any.

Yeah I really like them. It's only a trilogy in name, none of them are really directly related to the others, though they do share similar themes. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the best in my opinion (and the longest). If you like westerns, you'll like these.

[quote name='Havokscry']Before jumping on the X-Men trilogy set, they currently have the individual blu-ray/dvd/digital copy movies on sale for $9.99 apiece and each one comes with a $10 code to see Prometheus.[/QUOTE]

Added bonus of buying the individual movies: You can buy the first 2 and pretend the 3rd never happened.

[quote name='PJeff']Added bonus of buying the individual movies: You can buy the first 2 and pretend the 3rd never happened.[/QUOTE]

Love it. I'd be in for a major reboot of them after they destroyed the movie series with the third. With the way they've been going since Iron Man/Hulk with Edward Norton came out (imo), the quality of Marvel movies has increased.

[quote name='Trojann']Is the Man with no name a good trilogy? I have only heard good things of it but I have never seen any.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you answered your own question Cyke. Looks like you'll have to find out on your own if you dont trust what you've already heard.

Hmm, the Planet of the Apes set is tempting. I just wish it included the newest one and I'd be all over it. I still might go to my local best buy and snag it though.

Im all in for the man wth no name trilogy if i can find it because it doesnt show up online and alien anthology though i wish it could have been cheaper i think i might look into it

[quote name='Grico']I'm pretty tempted on that Cohen Brother set.[/QUOTE]

Same. $20 for 4 good flicks is damn tempting.

For those that asked about the MB Collection, it has great quality. The casing is a hardcover, about 11.5" by 7.5" by 1.5" thick, and has a decent weight. It contains two "books," one is 120-page color hardcover book with lots of info about the films and the other contains all 9 discs in a separate "book" with a slot for one movie per "page."

It sticks out like a sore thumb in the media rack... very fitting, considering the source material for the collection.

mel-brooks-collection-xl.jpg

[quote name='eLefAdEr']Same. $20 for 4 good flicks is damn tempting.

For those that asked about the MB Collection, it has great quality. The casing is a hardcover, about 11.5" by 7.5" by 1.5" thick, and has a decent weight. It contains two "books," one is 120-page color hardcover book with lots of info about the films and the other contains all 9 discs in a separate "book" with a slot for one movie per "page."

It sticks out like a sore thumb in the media rack... very fitting, considering the source material for the collection.

mel-brooks-collection-xl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's the old one. The new one is standard sized to fit on a DVD/Blu rack and has all the discs in a jumbo amaray case, and comes with a booklet (not sure if it has the same content as the book in the old one though)

Similar to the Rocky Undisputed set seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyCO50DJ1s

[quote name='Grico']I'm pretty tempted on that Cohen Brother set.[/QUOTE]

I was as well, but apparently the transfers are pretty poor per the bluray.com review and some other sites.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I was as well, but apparently the transfers are pretty poor per the bluray.com review and some other sites.[/QUOTE]

How so? The picture quality ratings for the set at Blu-ray.com is 4/5, same for audio quality. They aren't reference quality obviously and probably never could be, but they're far from being poor transfers.

The Coen Brothers Collection Blu-ray, Video Quality

b8.jpg

All of these films are presented on Blu-ray with AVC encodes, in 1080p and 1.85:1. The relative merits of each high definition presentation outweigh any negatives, and the films more or less fall into a hierarchy based on their vintage, with Blood Simple being by far the softest, followed by Raising Arizona which is a bit sharper, and then Miller's Crossing and Fargo at the top of the scale. Blood Simple has never really looked great, either in its theatrical exhibition or on its many home video releases, but the Blu-ray ups the color saturation significantly, and though the transfer still is hobbled by some very apparent crush, there is quite an increase in shadow detail, especially in many of the dimly lit bar scenes. Raising Arizona also benefits from some excellently robust colors which only make its cartoonish aspect all the more apparent, though occasionally reds bloom, if ever so slightly. Fine detail is very good to excellent throughout the presentation. Both Miller's Crossing and Fargo look very good indeed, though both suffer from occasional aliasing in scenes with trees, unfortunately regularly recurring motifs in both of these films. Miller's Crossing's darker ambience makes for a surprisingly effective display of solid black levels and excellent shadow detail, and fine detail is also excellent. Fargo still has its ultra-grainy look in several of the snowbound scenes, and there is some noticeable haloing and edge enhancement in several sequences, but the film overall looks incredibly sharp and well detailed, especially in the brighter lit outdoor moments. Whites never bloom and snow never devolves to digital noise levels.

High-def digest hasn't reviewed the set, nor all the films included separately, but the ones they have all received a 4/5 for PQ.
Blood Simple

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture (4/5)
The Coen brother's debut film creeps its way unto Blu-ray with an excellent 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode (1.85:1) that fans will appreciate.
Given its age and film stock, there are some scenes which seem softer than others, but on the whole, definition and resolution are outstanding and revealing. Fine lines and objects are very nicely detailed and distinct with rich, lifelike texture in clothing, hair and facial complexions. Contrast is bright and crisp, maintaining terrific clarity and visibility of background info. Delineation in nighttime and low-lit sequences is strong, except when shadows are intentionally meant to overwhelm and obscure lightly. The color palette is quite extensive and energetic, which creates a sense of irony to the plot's overall theme, with primaries appearing particularly bold and vibrant. Black levels are also exceptional with a deep, penetrating rendering that adds to the story's mystery and suspense.
All in all, this is by far the very best 'Blood Simple' has ever looked on home video and a joy to watch
Fargo

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture (4/5)
'Fargo' arrives on Blu-ray sporting a high-quality 1080p transfer that doesn't mask the film's flaws, but still provides moments of stunning clarity. Grain is evident much of the time, but close-ups are crisp, smooth, and dimensional, often popping off the screen. Macy especially benefits from this vivid treatment – his wide eyes, textured face, and perfectly combed hair are all brilliantly rendered. Though the predominant gray skies and bleak winter atmosphere prohibit much color from creeping in, there are sporadic bursts of vibrant contrast that nicely accent primary hues.
Blacks are dense and rich, and night scenes possess a marvelous sense of foreboding. The bright whites, however, have always been problematic, and some digital noise occasionally permeates barren landscapes, especially when they're snow covered. I also noticed some mild shimmering on striped shirt patterns. Details, though, come through quite well; faint splotches of dirt and grime on car windows are clearly visible, and bits of home décor stand out.
'Fargo' is a low-budget, independent film; it will never look pristine without significant digital doctoring. Thankfully, this transfer steers clear of such enhancements and preserves the picture's original appearance. It's a wonderful effort and a significant step up from the previous DVD edition.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's the old one. The new one is standard sized to fit on a DVD/Blu rack and has all the discs in a jumbo amaray case, and comes with a booklet (not sure if it has the same content as the book in the old one though)
[/QUOTE]

No kidding? Then I'm very glad I jumped on it when it was the Amazon DotW several months ago (feels like longer).

I actually prefer the new set as I don't have much space for bigger CE's and prefer something that fits on my DVD rack. I do wish it was a book style like what Fox has done for the Alien Anthology and Star Wars sets, rather than a big plastic case, but I'm glad that's at least an option now. Hopefully the old one still sticks around for people to choose, but I think it'll be gone from all retailers soon since it's OOP, and perhaps even go up in value too.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I actually prefer the new set as I don't have much space for bigger CE's and prefer something that fits on my DVD rack. I do wish it was a book style like what Fox has done for the Alien Anthology and Star Wars sets, rather than a big plastic case, but I'm glad that's at least an option now. Hopefully the old one still sticks around for people to choose, but I think it'll be gone from all retailers soon since it's OOP, and perhaps even go up in value too.[/QUOTE]

I have the old one unopened and would also prefer something to fit nicely on shelf.....might have to buy new one and see about selling 1st one later.

bread's done
Back