Select HBO Seasons on Blu-ray for $20 at WBShop.com

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
WBshop.com has an ongoing Blu-ray sale with a lot of solid deals, but I thought I'd highlight their HBO deals:

Generation Kill

51qZO7-EfdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Written and produced by Emmy-award winner David Simon (the Wire), and also produced by the award-winning George Faber (Elizabeth I). The mini-series tells the story of these young Marines physical and emotional journey into the heart of Baghdad in those initial weeks, and how the war reveals to be much more complicated, problematic and tragic than anyone had contemplated. Many of the complications and problems that arise are due to the unwieldy military bureaucracy which the Marines confront in the midst of the war, the challenges of over-zealous and incompetent commanding officers, ever-changing rules of engagement, a non-existent strategy, severe deficiencies in necessary armor and supplies, and an enemy they don’t understand.

John Adams

61JxBvN7whL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John Adams is a sprawling HBO miniseries event that depicts the extraordinary life and times of one of Americas least understood, and most underestimated, founding fathers: the second President of the United States, John Adams. Starring Paul Giamatti (Sideways, Cinderella Man, HBOs American Spendor) in the title role and Laura Linney (You Can Count on Me, Kinsey) as Adams devoted wife Abigail, John Adams chronicles the extraordinary life journey of one of the primary shapers of our independence and government, whose legacy has often been eclipsed by more flamboyant contemporaries like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton and Benjamin Franklin. Set against the backdrop of a nations stormy birth, this sweeping miniseries is a moving love story, a gripping narrative, and a fascinating study of human nature. Above all, at a time when the nation is increasingly polarized politically, this story celebrates the shared values of liberty and freedom upon which this country was built.

Rome Season 1 or Season 2

51pd2C-AUBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(HBO Dramatic Series) Four hundred years after the founding of the Republic, Rome is the wealthiest city in the world, a cosmopolitan metropolis of one million people; epicenter of a sprawling empire. The Republic was founded on principles of shared power and fierce personal competition, never allowing one man to seize absolute control. But now, those foundations are crumbling, eaten away by corruption and excess. After eight years of war, two soldiers, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo unwittingly become entwined in the historical events of ancient Rome. A serialized drama of love and betrayal, masters and slaves, husbands and wives, ROME chronicles a turbulent era that saw the death of the republic and the birth of an empire.

Others:

Hung Season 1
The Sopranos Season 1, Season 6 Part 1 or 2
Bored to Death Season 1
Eastbound and Down Season 1 or 2

Shipping is a flat-rat of $2.50

(images courtesy of Amazon)

Full List of Blu-rays on Sale

Not sure if this is still on-going at Costco, though Costco also has some of the BluRay HBO sets at $20. They did the last time I was there, and they had John Adams, Generation Kill, and Rome S1 + S2.

[quote name='slickkill77']Generation Kill is great. You can also get it at Best Buy for $19.99 if you trade in a DVD[/QUOTE]

I recently got Generation Kill with the Trade & Save at Best Buy. I just finished watching it last week. Great series. Easy to love for anyone who likes military history.

[quote name='slickkill77']Generation Kill is great. You can also get it at Best Buy for $19.99 if you trade in a DVD[/QUOTE]Same for John Adams, Rome S1 & S2, since they're all $24.99 at BB right now.

[quote name='shrike4242']Not sure if this is still on-going at Costco, though Costco also has some of the BluRay HBO sets at $20. They did the last time I was there, and they had John Adams, Generation Kill, and Rome S1 + S2.[/QUOTE]

All three of these shows are still on sale at Costco for $20 each, picked up John Adams and Rome earlier this month. Great deals, highly recommended.

Generation Kill was a great mini series. Seemed like the most realistic portrayal of modern war when I watched it. Just as good as Hurt Locker is IMHO.

Rome season 2 end on a cliffhanger? I watched the first season and liked it but never got around to season 2. I'll buy both of them if it doesn't have a cliff hanger ending.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Rome season 2 end on a cliffhanger? I watched the first season and liked it but never got around to season 2. I'll buy both of them if it doesn't have a cliff hanger ending.[/QUOTE]

Rome ends. It ends hard.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Rome season 2 end on a cliffhanger? I watched the first season and liked it but never got around to season 2. I'll buy both of them if it doesn't have a cliff hanger ending.[/QUOTE]

Yes the 2nd season did end in a cliff hanger. The pacing of the 2nd season moves significantly faster than the 1st season, almost as if they tried to skip parts. The reason for this is that the show turned out to be more expensive than HBO anticipated and they didn't really make money off of it, so they abruptly ended the series.

Still, you have to watch the 2nd season.

bread's done
Back