Self Loathing vs. Narcissism

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSweeney

CAGiversary!
Which do you think is more harmful?
Which do you think applies more to you?
How do you think these affect group dynamics?

For some reason, I have a feeling that this won't do nearly as well as some of the other more recent "vs" threads.:)

[quote name='JSweeney']Which do you think is more harmful?

For some reason, I have a feeling that this won't do nearly as well as some of the other more recent "vs" threads.:)[/QUOTE]

They're equally harmful. EDIT: They can be equally harmful.
Self Loathing.
Either you can be the only person hating yourself, or everyone else can hate you.

Judging by the response so far I'd say that's a safe assumption.

Self-loathing. There's no point to it.
Narcissism.
Either you can be the only person hating yourself, or everyone else can hate you.

Self loathing is funny more often than is narcissism. Narcissisn is more wont to lead to resentment in groups.

Self loathing sometimes leads to pity attention from hot chicks.

I think they're equally harmful for different reasons.

Self-loathing will have your view on the world colored by the lack of self-worth you have. And color those around you who interact with you.

Narcissism, same problem, opposite issue, since you won't have a good grip on reality because you love yourself so much.

Self-loathing affects group dynamics more, since people IMHO tend to be affected more by someone being depressed/down more than they are with them being high on themselves.

$0.02 where appropriate.

Self loathing can't affect group dynamics if you make the mental leap of "if I hate myself then everyone else must" and avoid any and all groups.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Self loathing can't affect group dynamics if you make the mental leap of "if I hate myself then everyone else must" and avoid any and all groups.[/QUOTE]

I agree. If you loathe yourself, you wouldn't interact with anyone else even though you want to with every fiber of your being. Narcissism (that's a lot of 's'), which I admit is my greatest flaw, can be terrible for group dynamics since the narcissist will be more outgoing (although in the wrong way) and thus earn initial trust from a social group. It isn't until the narcissism is self-evident that the group dynamics is altered.

[quote name='jaykrue']I agree. If you loathe yourself, you wouldn't interact with anyone else even though you want to with every fiber of your being. Narcissism (that's a lot of 's'), which I admit is my greatest flaw, can be terrible for group dynamics since the narcissist will be more outgoing (although in the wrong way) and thus earn initial trust from a social group. It isn't until the narcissism is self-evident that the group dynamics is altered.[/QUOTE]

I stand correctly and agree. Sit corrected as well.

I've been a bit of both in my hay-day....I'll say one thing...it depends on what you do.

When I was a musician, being Narcisstic was a must have...If you started loathing...you'd write crap. Even the people with the romatic infactuation with self-loathing.

Now that I'm a Self Loathing I.T. Slug at GE....yea, I'm depressed alot...

But fuck it....I'm getting back to the top now.

[quote name='Kayden']I think I'm a self-loathing narcissist. I hate me for thinking I'm so great :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I think I'm the same. I can't stand myself for being so beautiful and having the face of god.

*ahem* Inner Monologue:

Ego: Inflated Ego much?

Super Ego: Yes, thank you, I am hot

Id: I love lamp.

[quote name='jaykrue']I think I'm the same. I can't stand myself for being so beautiful and having the face of god.

*ahem* Inner Monologue:

Id: I love lamp.[/QUOTE]

I think my id would be the exact same as me. My personality is so broad that I hit just about every emotion at some point in the day.

[quote name='jaykrue']I think I'm the same. I can't stand myself for being so beautiful and having the face of god.

*ahem* Inner Monologue:

Id: I love lamp.[/QUOTE]

I'm so blinded by your divine radiance, I need shades. :roll::cool:

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm so blinded by your divine radiance, I need shades. :roll::cool:[/QUOTE]

Do you wear them at night?
sunglasses.jpg

[quote name='Kayden']Do you wear them at night?
sunglasses.jpg
[/QUOTE]

All depends on how much time jaykrue spends in eyeshot. :rofl:

And certainly not looking anything like that. :shock:

[quote name='shrike4242']All depends on how much time jaykrue spends in eyeshot. :rofl:

And certainly not looking anything like that. :shock:[/QUOTE]

C'mon, you know you want to pimp out the '80s-Hello-My-Name-Is-Corey' look :D

[quote name='jaykrue']C'mon, you know you want to pimp out the '80s-Hello-My-Name-Is-Corey' look :D[/QUOTE]

No, not even at gunpoint. :razz:

Anyway, I don't have the hair to pull that look off, regardless. Short short short hair, have I. :D

[quote name='shrike4242']No, not even at gunpoint. :razz:

Anyway, I don't have the hair to pull that look off, regardless. Short short short hair, have I. :D[/QUOTE]

That's what wigs are for ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Try as you might, oh divine light of blinding fury, it ain't happening. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Hey, I hadda give it a shot :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']Hey, I hadda give it a shot :lol:[/QUOTE]

Indeed you did. Hope you liked some of that wasted effort. :lol:

[quote name='JSweeney']Which do you think is more harmful?
[/QUOTE]

Self loathing = more harmful for the individual
Narcissism = more harmful for a group

hrm, yup, narcissism, since I definately don't do the self loathing thing. i have a tendancy to make farcical narcissitic comments/commentary (along the lines of talking about being hit on or checked out, etc) but I generally am joking about these things as much as I do because it's easier to joke about being hot then it is to think of other people thinking of me as a piece of meat. my sense of humor is my shield ~ you can't touch me, nananabooboo!!.... :cool:

narcissitic people tend to either take on everything in a group and moderate/"manage" everything to the distaste of others, or everyone just shuns that person and does their own thing. Someone who's self loathing however would probably just allow anyone else to walk all over them and never make any valuable contributions because their afraid they aren't worthy of mattering :cry: sad pandas.

~

[quote name='DenisDFat']Self loathing sometimes leads to pity attention from hot chicks.[/QUOTE]

I know you don't like people quoting DDF. But... I felt that this was a tremendously prescient statement from him concerning recent events in the OT forum.

Maybe I'm the only one who will make that leap.

Back on topic, The degree of either determines how harmful it will be.

I'd say I have a healthy self-image. I'm a bit arrogant, but undeluded as to my actual qualities.

I would also say that the degree determines the level of disruption to a group dynamic.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']You were right Sweeney, guess you should have put "titts" somewhere in the title. :lol:[/QUOTE]

*beats sub*
Let it die, let it die, let it die! :lol:

[quote name='Kayden']*beats sub*
Let it die, let it die, let it die! :lol:[/QUOTE]

No, this is an important subject worthy of our attention. :D

I guess to stay on topic ( ;) ) I can say that my sister is one of the worst narcissists I've ever met, and I'm her polar opposite in almost every regard.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']No, this is an important subject worthy of our attention. :D

I guess to stay on topic ( ;) ) I can say that my sister is one of the worst narcissists I've ever met, and I'm her polar opposite in almost every regard.[/QUOTE]

I'm a narcissist and I'm reasonably sure you aren't very self loathing.:lol:

[quote name='zionoverfire']I'm a narcissist and I'm reasonably sure you aren't very self loathing.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Maybe you don't know me as well as you think. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Maybe you don't know me as well as you think. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Just look at him, zion. What reason wouldn't sblymnl have to hate himself?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Maybe you don't know me as well as you think. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I should certainly hope not.:lol:

But really you seem to loath company more than yourself, if you really are self loathing you keep it under wraps a lot better than a certain squire.:D

[quote name='zionoverfire']I should certainly hope not.:lol:

But really you seem to loath company more than yourself, if you really are self loathing you keep it under wraps a lot better than a certain squire.:D[/QUOTE]

I can loathe everyone equally, I don't have to differentiate between myself and others. :lol:

Besides, self loathing is a personal matter. There's no need to share with the class so to speak.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']

Besides, self loathing is a personal matter. There's no need to share with the class so to speak.[/QUOTE]

He's got a point there.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I can loathe everyone equally, I don't have to differentiate between myself and others. :lol:

Besides, self loathing is a personal matter. There's no need to share with the class so to speak.[/QUOTE]

True, it just doesn't seem to suit you. Why in the world would you of all people be self loathing?

[quote name='zionoverfire']True, it just doesn't seem to suit you. Why in the world would you of all people be self loathing?[/QUOTE]

Just look at him, man!!!

[quote name='zionoverfire']True, it just doesn't seem to suit you. Why in the world would you of all people be self loathing?[/QUOTE]

Why not? If all people are equally worthless, and I am a person, obviously it follows that I am worthless. :lol:

And as little as you might know about me zion I'll have you know that I revealed my pedophilic tendencies here a full 8 years earlier than I did with my closest friends. ;) :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Why not? If all people are equally worthless, and I am a person, obviously it follows that I am worthless. :lol:

And as little as you might know about me zion I'll have you know that I revealed my pedophilic tendencies here a full 8 years earlier than I did with my closest friends. ;) :lol:[/QUOTE]

Which is why you self loathing I really don't see, well I don't see completely I always figured you for a bit of a narcist, especially how you wrote that first sentance.;)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Narcissist? No. Nihilist? Getting warmer. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yes but I figure out of the 2 choices listed you would have been sllightly narcisistic not vice versa.;)

[quote name='KingSpike']With that current picture, it's clear that sblymnyl is doing SOME self-"loathing."[/QUOTE]

Or beating it thinking about some other user.;)

[quote name='zionoverfire']Or beating it thinking about some other user.;)[/QUOTE]

Considering your reputation, zion, I think we know who that is...

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yes but I figure out of the 2 choices listed you would have been sllightly narcisistic not vice versa.;)[/QUOTE]

How so?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']How so?[/QUOTE]

Because you seem to look down on certain people, that's a bit more typical of narcissism.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Considering your reputation, zion, I think we know who that is...[/QUOTE]

Sorry bud but clearly you are way out of the loop on this one.;)

[quote name='zionoverfire']
Sorry bud but clearly you are way out of the loop on this one.;)[/QUOTE]

Loop, shmoop. I'm just continuing a prior discussion zion and I had :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back