Seller Lied, is Reselling Won Item

kell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
165 (100%)
I won an auction for a SNES game in June. The winning bid was $10.50 plus shipping, which was a great deal. So I get no game for about 3 weeks and contact the seller. He claims he shipped it out (would not provide tracking info) and promptly refunds my money. I figured something was fishy at this point since he didn't have tracking info and didn't even try and figure out what happened. My guess was he wasn't happy about the low end price.

Paypal had a different name for him, which I recognized, so I have been on the lookout for the same game in auctions. Sure enough the game is up for bid again at a BIN of $49.99, by the seller whose name appeared in the paypal payment info.

I can tell it is the same game from the pictures and the background has changed so it isn't like he just stole someone's photo.

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Hmm... I really don't think there's anything you can do. Is that the same exact picture in both auctions? I guess he thought you wouldn't notice, lol.

Maybe he just found another sealed copy of it laying around somewhere :roll:

Thats hyrule. He has multiples of literally every sealed game he sells. Dozens of many. He had like 10 chavez II's somehow factory sealed. He has like 100 factory sealed original zelda gold's for the NES. Chances are that he has multiples of this title as well. What bothers me is the seam.... if you look at it... there is not one visible in the picture.... I have heard of him selling reseals (my biggest pet peeve on ebay- people who pass off reseals as originals) so it could be a reseal...

Wait- are you certain that hyrule and billssportscardz is the same person? I have never heard that before. If so, that is insane as billssportscardz buys a LOT of sealed stuff. More than me, even.

Odd. Why would someone have two high feedback accounts?

I have to agree that it could be the same guy. If you look at some of the second users auctions, some pictures are taken on that same marble countertop as the first auction.

[quote name='Rozz']Hmm... I really don't think there's anything you can do. Is that the same exact picture in both auctions? I guess he thought you wouldn't notice, lol.

Maybe he just found another sealed copy of it laying around somewhere :roll:[/quote]

It isn't the same picture, but it's the same game on a different surface. There are some marks on it that shows it, two white specks on the front edge to the right of the "Tradewest".

I figure there is nothing I, or Ebay, can do. And I didn't want the game that bad, but it just pisses me off that he lied.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Thats hyrule. He has multiples of literally every sealed game he sells. Dozens of many. He had like 10 chavez II's somehow factory sealed. He has like 100 factory sealed original zelda gold's for the NES. Chances are that he has multiples of this title as well. What bothers me is the seam.... if you look at it... there is not one visible in the picture.... I have heard of him selling reseals (my biggest pet peeve on ebay- people who pass off reseals as originals) so it could be a reseal...

Wait- are you certain that hyrule and billssportscardz is the same person? I have never heard that before. If so, that is insane as billssportscardz buys a LOT of sealed stuff. More than me, even.[/quote]

Yes, it is the same. That is how I recognized it because he buys a lot of high priced sealed games.

It is the same game if you study the pictures. See my other post. Plus, if he had multiples he could have sent me a replacement, but it just goes back to the low ending price.

[quote name='sp00ge']Odd. Why would someone have two high feedback accounts?

I have to agree that it could be the same guy. If you look at some of the second users auctions, some pictures are taken on that same marble countertop as the first auction.[/quote]

For reasons like this I guess.

It has to be the same because the charge on my CC for Hyrule showed up as Billssportzcardz or whatever it is.

[quote name='sp00ge']Might I suggest a negative for being a shady seller?[/quote]

I hate to say it, but it isn't worth it to me to lose the 100%. My negative won't stop people from buying from him and as much as I don't like the fact that he lied, he did refund my money.

I would oust him. Tell him straight up you know it is the same game and you know it is the same seller and unless he sells it and honors the original price, you will report it. I hate that kind of crap. For the record, though, the game looks like a possible reseal... Not sure though as tradewest may have had a funky seal. Can't remember at the moment.

[quote name='raregamergirl']I would oust him. Tell him straight up you know it is the same game and you know it is the same seller and unless he sells it and honors the original price, you will report it. I hate that kind of crap. For the record, though, the game looks like a possible reseal... Not sure though as tradewest may have had a funky seal. Can't remember at the moment.[/quote]

I did message him, calling him out. My guess is he will just ignore it. I doubt there is anything Ebay can do, but I emailed them as well.

I have a huge pet peeve about reseals as well, but an even bigger one about liars.

Where do you get you info on proper sealing? I have started buying some sealed games, but sometimes it is tough to tell, like with those overlapping vertical seals.

Knowing eBay, they're gonna give you an automated response, see different pics in the two main auctions, and dump your complaint.

So I think RGG has the best realistic advice. Contact him about the game, and ask if he will honor your bid from the earlier auction when the game was lost or whatever spiel he gave you. Something along the lines of:

I am still interested in this game, which I was the high bidder on in auction Number blah blah blah. The game you reported to me was lost in shipping, and my money refunded, but as you have found the game, I would appreciate my high bid being honored at this time, so I will not have to report to eBay and Paypal the appearance of the first auction not being honored, and the item being later resold for a larger profit.

Its funny how ebay likes to make it a "legally biding contract" for a buyer to win something yet when the buyer pulls a stun like this, its a major no no but sellers that keep the money rolling in for ebay get a free pass.

No offense, but I would brush up on some research into factory sealed games. Here is a guide on NES factory sealed games

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-Resealed-NES-Games_W0QQugidZ10000000001556334

That basically applies to SNES games as well. There are a few games that will not have a seam for the NES or SNES, but very few. If you look around DP or the net, you can find a list of games for the SNES that did not have a seam on the back.

There are MANY reseals on ebay. To know if you have a reseal in your hand, you can do the line trick. Virtually all games (once opened), will have a solid white line (or some cracking) across the seam. Some sellers try to cover it up with sharpie or paint, but you can usually see the color difference. I noticed you purchased a gunsmoke recently. Just looking at the picture, I would say that is a possible reseal. Only unlicensed NES games will not have a line (outside of a select few. couple of the simpsons games and a few others did not have a line).

[quote name='guinaevere']Knowing eBay, they're gonna give you an automated response, see different pics in the two main auctions, and dump your complaint.

So I think RGG has the best realistic advice. Contact him about the game, and ask if he will honor your bid from the earlier auction when the game was lost or whatever spiel he gave you. Something along the lines of:

I am still interested in this game, which I was the high bidder on in auction Number blah blah blah. The game you reported to me was lost in shipping, and my money refunded, but as you have found the game, I would appreciate my high bid being honored at this time, so I will not have to report to eBay and Paypal the appearance of the first auction not being honored, and the item being later resold for a larger profit.[/quote]

Yeah, I figure Ebay will do nothing as usual. And honestly, I don't really care about getting the game all that much, it is more about what he did that infuriates me.

Guin, you are too nice. I am usually a nice person, but not so much if someone lies to me. So I couldn't write that message. :D

[quote name='raregamergirl']No offense, but I would brush up on some research into factory sealed games. Here is a guide on NES factory sealed games [/quote]

No offense taken, I appreciate the help.

I believe Gunsmoke has the line, but I'd have to check. I paid less than the auction for it because I got the guy down on his shipping costs.

I usually don't buy anything without the seams or vent holes.

If it helps, I actually have a phone number somewhere for hyrule. Friend of mine bought a factory sealed chavez from him and he called about it etc. Can't believe he would do that. Best of luck with it. Hopefully he is honest and sells you the auction (I also think you did well with your initial price if it is legit).

OP - you got hosed but it's probably not worth the effort to do anything especially since you got refunded.

I am facinated that there is a market for factory sealed games.

I've bought and keep in touch with hyrule on occasion, all is stuff is new and legit, I've opened several new games I bought from him and I have enough to know and verify that they were new. He was telling me has a room full of old sealed games, it was crazy, every system and multiple copies. I'd be surprised if he is related to bill because bill is a big spender and often spends over 100 on one game while hyrule is usually content with getting 20-50 per game, if they are the same then he is a prick for outbidding me so many times but it's cancelled out by all the good deals I got from him.

Wow,

You really need to report this to Ebay. If they are anything, it is skeptical. I have had auctions ended for no good reason when I did nothing wrong but Ebay looked at my account and said "this might have happened" so they ended the auction and slapped me on the wrist.

Even if you get nothing directly out of it, this double-account business needs to be brought to Ebay's attention, and his leveraging the two accounts to get out of a transaction needs to be on his permanent record. How sweet would it be to log on and find that both accounts have been suspended at some point in the future? If nothing else, I would say the satisfaction of knowing he had to hassle with that at some point would more than make this worthwhile to you.

Seriously, Ebay is nasty when it comes to hitting sellers "unfairly". In this case the guy is clearly being unethical and I have every belief Ebay will see things your way if you clearly point out the images. If nothing else, it violates their policy of using images for him to use an image of "Game A" to sell "Game B" (should he claim that he really did send you the first game and is only relisting the next one).

[quote name='jputahraptor']I've bought and keep in touch with hyrule on occasion, all is stuff is new and legit, I've opened several new games I bought from him and I have enough to know and verify that they were new. He was telling me has a room full of old sealed games, it was crazy, every system and multiple copies. I'd be surprised if he is related to bill because bill is a big spender and often spends over 100 on one game while hyrule is usually content with getting 20-50 per game, if they are the same then he is a prick for outbidding me so many times but it's cancelled out by all the good deals I got from him.[/QUOTE]

The easiest thing to do is contact Ebay and ask if he is the same person. They can check IP's, etc. Trust me, if there is any link whatsoever they can find it.

[quote name='javeryh']OP - you got hosed but it's probably not worth the effort to do anything especially since you got refunded.

I am facinated that there is a market for factory sealed games.[/quote]

Yeah, I wrote my message to him and Ebay with my initial fury and that's about as far as I am going to pursue it. I am not naive enough to think that Ebay would actually take action. And if Hyrule/Bill was honest enough he would have honored the first auction, so I don't think he will be selling me anything.

[quote name='chosen1s']Even if you get nothing directly out of it, this double-account business needs to be brought to Ebay's attention, and his leveraging the two accounts to get out of a transaction needs to be on his permanent record. How sweet would it be to log on and find that both accounts have been suspended at some point in the future? If nothing else, I would say the satisfaction of knowing he had to hassle with that at some point would more than make this worthwhile to you.[/quote]

I did contact them so we will see what happens. I don't mind the multiple accounts, as long as he is honest and not abusing them.

[quote name='Will']Its funny how ebay likes to make it a "legally biding contract" for a buyer to win something yet when the buyer pulls a stun like this, its a major no no but sellers that keep the money rolling in for ebay get a free pass.[/quote]eBay is definately not favored among consumer advocacy groups for a lot of reasons. This is only one example, unfortunately.

When it first started out, or at least, when I first started out as a buyer there about 8 or 9 years ago, it was great. I was able to pick up a lot of the old My Little Ponies that I had as a child and then gave away. The community was SO much smaller and the products were almost always legit. Sleezebags quickly found their way over, loving and hiding behind the anonymity. Some of these guys are tracked down and kicked out. Sad to say, but Will is right and more and more income to eBay seems to equal a blinder and blinder eye to con artists and scammers.

[quote name='raregamergirl']No offense, but I would brush up on some research into factory sealed games. Here is a guide on NES factory sealed games

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-Resealed-NES-Games_W0QQugidZ10000000001556334
[/quote]Great guide, RGG. Thanks for that link. Never thought about the crease on hinge as something to look for.

[quote name='kell']Guin, you are too nice. I am usually a nice person, but not so much if someone lies to me. So I couldn't write that message. :D[/quote]Heh. When ever some store or corporation or person is trying to pull something crappy, I go straight into all-business mode. Nice has little do with it. Sorta 'Nothing personal, but you're not getting away with this.'

[quote name='kell']I did contact them so we will see what happens. I don't mind the multiple accounts, as long as he is honest and not abusing them.[/quote]Fantastic. Update us when you hear anything.

There really isn't anything you can do. You can't force him to sell the game to you.

I did a little bit of research and it looks like the only option is to report him as a "Non-Selling seller".

[quote name='frozzted']There really isn't anything you can do. You can't force him to sell the game to you.

I did a little bit of research and it looks like the only option is to report him as a "Non-Selling seller".[/QUOTE]

Theres LOTS that can be done. The bad part is its a HUGE pain in the ass to deal with and go through so its just a matter of how bad you wanna make that point.

[quote name='jputahraptor'] I'd be surprised if he is related to bill because bill is a big spender and often spends over 100 on one game while hyrule is usually content with getting 20-50 per game, if they are the same then he is a prick for outbidding me so many times but it's cancelled out by all the good deals I got from him.[/quote]

Kell said his CC charge has Bill's name on it, so that pretty much makes them the same person.
If he is using one account to shill bid for his other then that's some seriously messed up stuff going on.

i say report the bastard to ebay. thats too shady. and the fact that his auctions actually look shady enough, like someone pointed out that the seam is missing in the back. i contacted servicegames812 (the guy who wrote that NES resealed guide) on ebay about a certain auction before and he responded and can tell from the pictures if they are legit or not. they reseal the games because the games are too old and sometimes the seals are not as good as they used to be. they also do it because they could sell it for more if theres no rips/cracks.

Unfortunately, something like this happened to me before.

I bought a demo tape (from 90s band The Cranberries, thus my nick) at about $70. Seller from the UK said he sent it, never came. On top of that, he was the rudest motherfucker you never wanna meet.

Had to file an eBay dispute (not Paypal, as paypal won't cover international transactions). I won, got my money back minus a $25 fee.

A year later, the same tape shows up under the same seller. I actually tried to buy it again because a) the seller had 1000s of feedback and b) it's the only one I've ever seen, and I'm a hardcore collector.

Didn't win the 2nd time because it ended for more than $150. I tried to report to eBay -- they did nothing, of course -- and I also warned the high bidder after he won.

So at least be happy you got your original $ back without too much effort.

bread's done
Back