Selling items without using Paypal?

Yamato

CAGiversary!
Feedback
171 (100%)
Hey, for the most part I've been strictly trading item for item with no cash involved - this is mainly because I don't use Paypal. Without Paypal, using money is pretty limited, and the only options I can think of would be using a money order/cashier's check or just sending straight cash.

Without the security of Paypal I'd imagine most users would turn away from using the other methods. Has anyone had success in selling without having a Paypal account?

You certainly can accept only check/money order, but you will have to sell you stuff at a lower price because buying with paypal is a lot easier.

[quote name='elessar123']Does Amazon payments count?[/QUOTE]
Not at the moment, since I'd hope to end up with plain old cash at the end of the deal.

However I know it would be harder to find a buyer willing to do this, which is why I'd have to have great prices.

I've taken checks on Atari stuff before, but it's something I've haven't done very often outside of a well-developed mail order relationship.

I'd used Concealed Cash in trades before, sending and receiving. If it's a higher price item I"ll opt for PayPal or Money Order though.

Ive moved away from Paypal myself. I use Amazon gift cards (You can have them emailed to you) for payments. I also offer BestBuy gift cards (have to be shipped). But BestBuy GCs are just another alternative.

I actually just finished a trade were the buyer sent me a Amazon giftcard (emailed to me) for payment. Worked out fine since I buy a lot of stuff from there.

I have tons of people pay me through eBay using money orders or concealed cash. Technically you aren't allowed to accept money orders on eBay anymore, but I don't care... why limit my customer pool?

Gift cards, Cashier's Checks, Money Orders, concealed cash and Paypal are really the only methods of payment, except for the obvious choice of trading items.

If you want to avoid Paypal and Amazon payments, and seem to have your mind set on cash, then you'd need to do either money orders or cashier's check.

Concealed cash is much too risky to tryst.

[quote name='Yamato']Hey, for the most part I've been strictly trading item for item with no cash involved - this is mainly because I don't use Paypal. Without Paypal, using money is pretty limited, and the only options I can think of would be using a money order/cashier's check or just sending straight cash.

Without the security of Paypal I'd imagine most users would turn away from using the other methods. Has anyone had success in selling without having a Paypal account?[/QUOTE]
Concealed cash and/or US Postal Service money orders are the ONLY payment forms I've ever accepted on CAG.

Even though I just verified a Paypal account maybe a month or two ago, I still prefer cold hard cash or a money order I can cash at the post office when I go to mail out a package. Why? Because I don't have to accept less than what I want to get paid because I have to 'eat' the fees Paypal may charge me(or keep mentioning 'add X amount for fees' and get people groaning over the amount being 'over my price that's marked').

Of course, you may get the occasional slip up with someone sending you a Western Union or Moneygram money order, but you just have to find a way to make it work.

Unfortunately the WU and MG MO's are a pain in the ass to cash, since not even the places that issue them will cash them without taking some sort of fee off for doing so.:bomb: And that's IF they'll even cash them in the first place.:roll:

As for charging less for your stuff because you only take cash or MO's, I charge what I feel my items are worth regardless of how I prefer to get paid. If they don't like that I don't accept Paypal, then fuck 'em. Someone will buy what you have, it might just take a bit longer to find someone who really wants it regardless of the 'hassle' of having to mail out a payment.

bread's done
Back