Selling on Craigslist. How to deal with [rude] lowballers?

skateraXVIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
So I need a bit of advice. I am attempting to sell my car ('95 Camaro Z28) on craigslist and have been having a hell of a time selling it. I rarely get any calls, and when I do I get some idiot low-baller. I understand somebody offering below asking price, but when they offer 40-60% off asking price, what should I do?

Just today I had a guy call me, make a ridiculous offer, then he actually went so far as to criticize my car by saying "you must have chosen the car with the cheapest features" after I told him about about it having cloth interior, and no T-top. I felt inclined to tell him to fuck off. Anyways, how do I handle these kind of people.

I'm asking considerably less than Kelley Blue Book, and I've listed in my ad that I won't go any lower than my asking price.

Just ignore and let it roll off your back. No sense and getting worked up over lowballers. If you wait long enough you'll get a buyer. If no one come along you may have to consider lowering your price. A item is only worth what someone is willing to pay....

Also keep in mind the venue... craigslist is NOTORIOUS for lowballers and people expecting stuff for free. Also, blue book value doesn't always indicate a good starting point.. maybe look at other similar cars and their going rate on ebay or other car selling sites (and consider listing on those as well).

Find the most dangerous street in your city and ask them to meet you there after dark ... tell them you'll be running late and need them to wait for you but that you'll only know them if they stand outside their car ;)

I'm a fan of adding terms such as "Non-negotiable" or "firm". You'll still get a few, but at least you'll weed out the ones who read :p

I just don't respond to them at all. I don't post a number and only take the first response by email. I still get some emails I always put firm but still get some asshats trying to negotiate with their sob stories on why they need my item but don't have enough to pay.

[quote name='JMClarkent']I'm a fan of adding terms such as "Non-negotiable" or "firm". You'll still get a few, but at least you'll weed out the ones who read :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've tried that before... but I swear to god, it may just be the city I live in (in the boonies), but apparently nobody knows how to read. I'll get calls for my craigslist ads (not just my car ad, but every other ad I post) and the people ask what condition the item is in, or something along those lines, and it's all literally written in the ad.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Maybe they are right and your asking for way to much. hmmmm jk[/QUOTE]

That could possibly be the case. I'll have to do a bit more research online to see what my car goes for since I've heard from more than one person that KBB prices aren't always right.

look at other cars similar to yours on craigslist. If yours is the most expensive with comparable miles/condition - then you are probably asking too much.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']I just don't respond to them at all. I don't post a number and only take the first response by email. I still get some emails I always put firm but still get some asshats trying to negotiate with their sob stories on why they need my item but don't have enough to pay.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree with this. ^

I never offer my phone number on CL, frankly because I feel that's offering a chunk of my privacy to these screwballs--along with a portion of my wits, as well.

I only offer my email in my listings, and after a few relatively "intelligent" correspondence back and forth confirming that we're both on the same page, only then do I offer up my phone number to naildown the final details. Saves a lot of effort, especially since the majority of crackpots can't figure out how to use email to begin with.

I have never used Craigslist, but I tried selling a TV in a regional publication a couple years back that's basically the same thing. Some guy calls me 2 weeks in a row, both times asked what color the tv was (and that's ALL he asked) and then said he would call me back the next day to come see it. The second time he did this, I asked him "Didn't you call last week?" He stuttered a minute like he was confused so I followed up "Yeah, you said you were going to call me the next day - are you really going to this time?" He didn't seem to know WHAT to say, but of course he said he would (and didn't). I thought it was pretty funny tho. :p

[quote name='etcrane']Find the most dangerous street in your city and ask them to meet you there after dark ... tell them you'll be running late and need them to wait for you but that you'll only know them if they stand outside their car ;)[/QUOTE]

I like this idea.

bread's done
Back