Selling some comics, looking for advice!

ninjaspeedrazor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Hey there CAG's, I'm looking to sell some comics I've got and could use some friendly advice. I have 2 long boxes of relatively recent stuff, basically from 2004-2009.

It's mostly Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spiderman, Batman, Wolverine, Fables, and a bunch of Misc. titles. They are all bagged and boarded. I have absolutely no clue on how much I should ask for. I know I don't have any really rare ones, I was thinking of putting them up on Craigslist as opposed to ebay. I just don't want to get ripped off when I put them up. Any advice is welcome and appreciated, thanks!

I have some too from the mid 90s. I don't think more than a few will be worth much more in the long run and I was thinking it was time to dump them as well since they're just extra weight every time I move. Any selling tips would be appreciated.

I go into buying sprees, so here's some tips.

-Don't expect to get what you put in. I know a shop that sells them $0.50 each bagged and boarded and still have trouble moving them
-Selling them in lots or whole boxes is more appealing than singles for mass consumers

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to take a big loss on the sale, that's a fact. As long as you understand that up front, you'll save yourself some frustration. To be honest, if you manage to get 25% of what you paid for them you'll be doing really well. The Craigslist option sounds better than ebay so you can avoid the fees.

Ya, i was just going to sell them as a lot on Craigslist, definitely easier considering fees and shipping charges. I know I'm not going to get a full return, i was thinking maybe $150 for both boxes, what do you think, too high? Thanks for any feedback.

The sad thing is single issues of modern comics are not really worth squat. Hardcover collections is where the money is now, because once they go out of print they'll skyrocket in value well above their TPB counterparts.

I also agree that you should sell them as a lot. Bust the collection up and try to make some appealing sets out of them.

You can get various comic book priceguides (I don't know if Wizard is still around, or if they even have priceguides anymore, Overstreet might be around still) and estimate the value of your books, optionally grade each one (make sure you mention it's not professional gradings) so any bidders you're not some stoner looking for weed money. Then sell them as a lot with a fair reserve price in place. You'll either get what you want or a few people might get into a bidding war and you'll make out better than you hoped.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Ya, i was just going to sell them as a lot on Craigslist, definitely easier considering fees and shipping charges. I know I'm not going to get a full return, i was thinking maybe $150 for both boxes, what do you think, too high? Thanks for any feedback.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol: Good luck with that. People want shit that's in ultra mint condition and worth a bundle and still want it for 15% of cover price.

I tried putting up a generic list a while ago with some of my 90's stuff and I think most of the responses I got were 'what condition is it in, describe it down to the last crinkle please'.:roll: Apparently, the big fuckin' disclaimer saying 'these are read copies only, not for those who wanna collect them' wasn't enough of a hint that they probably had some issues.

For those interested, here is what I have

Ultimate X-Men
40-64,55-62,64-77,82,84-86

Astonishing X-Men
1-10,12-19,22

Ultimate Spiderman
1,68-76,79-102,109-111,113

Amazing Spiderman
509-516,521-536

Fables
27-33,38-56,59

The Outsiders
11,13-23,25-43

Identity Crisis
1-7

Infinite Crisis
1-7

Batman Knightfall
1-22

1-32

New Avengers
1-5

Green Lantern Rebirth

Robin
148-157

Batman
634-636,638-662,664-667

I also have every issue of Rising Stars I just need to find them.

Most of titles that I like, I have most of issues that you have listed except Ultimate Spider-Man #1. Honestly, if it's not one of the free comic book day copies or millions of different reprints, that maybe worth $$$. Possibly the amount the amount that you wanted for all of the comics.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Ya, I honestly have no idea what to expect in terms of what they're worth, I've been out of comics for a while.[/QUOTE]
For me that 'while' is over 10 years. It's not a hobby I would get back into for more than one title anymore either.

Back in the day, I was into the old school Punisher and about 4-6 other titles, including trying to grab full story arcs of a G1 Transformers series that was being published back then.

Of course, I fell behind a month or three and those issues that I missed were 'low print runs' for some reason, so those issues alone garnered $5 a pop to play catch up.

The last time I cared about any comic book was when the Punisher went decidedly AO with the Marvel Knights, but the one cornball ending the one story arc had turned me off the hobby for good. Well....that and the $3+ pricetag per issue anymore at the time.

Do some research on the Ultimate Spider-Man collection you have -- those books tend to sell, maybe sell #1 separately. You could try to sell them on eBay as separate runs.

It's just too expensive to keep up with now, they raised prices to almost 4 dollars a book now. I can't really justify spending $20 dollars a week on comics when there is rent to pay, car payment, stuff like that.

I'm in a similar situation as well. I've got about 1200+ dating from '89 - '94ish. It's 4 long boxes plus a copy paper box full, all bagged and boarded, but with 2 comics per bag (one on each side of the board). I called a local comic book store a few years ago, where I bought them from, and he basically laughed and said I can't move comics from those dates because they are too common. Shame really. I just read them once, bagged them and now they are just sitting there taking up space.

I'm kinda in the same boat OP. I'm looking to sell off some recent stuff I just don't care to own anymore. Mainly Marvel stuff. I was thinking about putting my list on CAG. I figure that might be the best way to go just to unload a few things.

bread's done
Back