Selling used games or keeping?

Zeeman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to put this in, so if it isn't, I apologize.

Right now I'm making my For Trade and Sell list and the only thing that I have on it are some PS2 games I inherited from a friend. But I started taking a look through my own game collection and wondering what games I should sell.

Does sentimental value ever get to anybody?

For instance, my Super Nintendo collection is my most prized game collection. However, recently I was thinking about selling my Super Metroid cart. I bought cart only used off ebay two years ago and only played it once. With its inevitable release on the Nintendo Wii, do people think I should sell it?

At first I did, but then the sentimental value of owning the original cart started to kick in and I'm not so sure. I'm sure I'll come across this problem mulitlple times too if they decide to release games like Eartbound, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III for the VC.

I mean, if I do decide to keep the games, then they'll probably sit there and collect dust because I'm most certain that I'll end up buying them for the Wii.

This idea of "sentimentalism" doesn't just apply to Super Nintendo but all my games. I was almost 100% going to sell some old 64 and Cube games like WWF No Mercy and Animal Crossing until a friend of mine asked what if I want to play those games again?

Take a look of the Zelda Collector's Edition. I could keep that and play it on my Wii or I could probably make $50 off of it and use that money to buy all the games on the VC and LttP. But then I'd lose that Collector's Edition that I know not everyone has.

I have sold some games on eBay or traded them in at EBGames, but I mean sometimes I do miss them and wonder if I should have kept them. But if I did, they were most likely going to remain shut in their cases collecting dust.

Anyway, so what do people think? Do you ever have trouble selling your games?

I had sentimental value pangs when I had to start paying back my student loans. It came down to paying bills, or not paying bills...

I used to have many complete games in mint condition - Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2, Valkyrie Profile, Symphony of the Night, Ogre Battle 64, Lunars 1 & 2 complete with all extras...but when push came to shove, they needed to go because they became financial resources.

Keep the games unless you absolutely need to sell them. View them as games and not as investments because it's hard to gauge whether a game will become rare and valuable.

If you're just looking to play them and know for a fact they'll be released on the VC (FF3 probably won't, seeing as how it's available as FFVI Advance), why not sell them while they retain good value? After all, it's about playing the game. The medium doesn't matter unless you're extremely nostalgic and need the feel of an authentic controller that the game was created for.

[quote name='Zeeman']I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to put this in, so if it isn't, I apologize.

Right now I'm making my For Trade and Sell list and the only thing that I have on it are some PS2 games I inherited from a friend. But I started taking a look through my own game collection and wondering what games I should sell.

Does sentimental value ever get to anybody?

For instance, my Super Nintendo collection is my most prized game collection. However, recently I was thinking about selling my Super Metroid cart. I bought cart only used off ebay two years ago and only played it once. With its inevitable release on the Nintendo Wii, do people think I should sell it?

At first I did, but then the sentimental value of owning the original cart started to kick in and I'm not so sure. I'm sure I'll come across this problem mulitlple times too if they decide to release games like Eartbound, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III for the VC.

I mean, if I do decide to keep the games, then they'll probably sit there and collect dust because I'm most certain that I'll end up buying them for the Wii.

This idea of "sentimentalism" doesn't just apply to Super Nintendo but all my games. I was almost 100% going to sell some old 64 and Cube games like WWF No Mercy and Animal Crossing until a friend of mine asked what if I want to play those games again?

Take a look of the Zelda Collector's Edition. I could keep that and play it on my Wii or I could probably make $50 off of it and use that money to buy all the games on the VC and LttP. But then I'd lose that Collector's Edition that I know not everyone has.

I have sold some games on eBay or traded them in at EBGames, but I mean sometimes I do miss them and wonder if I should have kept them. But if I did, they were most likely going to remain shut in their cases collecting dust.

Anyway, so what do people think? Do you ever have trouble selling your games?[/quote]

I haven't ordered any VC games on the Wii, but I have read that not all the features in the original games make it to the VC version. For example, some famous codes for Kid Incarus do not work on the VC version.

If your console still works, in my opinion, I probably would keep the original games.

The other thing to consider, the games may lose value if remakes do come out. So depending on how much you enjoy the game, you'll probably would want the profits.

Personally, I rarely buy remakes since they play better in my memories than when I actually play them, no idea why!

yea that's the problem with people when trading or selling sometimes they put something on their list and end up having sentimental value for them. I guess others just place them on their list to make it look like a big trade list? For me would be the romance of three kingdoms game of course. I havn't gotten around to finish playing them all but just placed them on my trade list as well.

Paying my bills > my memories.

Simple as that.

Everything will either show up again on the Wii, or be re-released, and most of this shit I hadn't touched in 5 - 10 years and I'm not going to suddenly start craving a game of Mars Matrix or Secret of Mana any time soon.

I had trouble at first selling my games but then when my Paypal account exploded into large amounts of money I quickly forgot about it.

When I'm sitting on shit like a complete Chrono Trigger or Suikoden 2, I'd rather take the $100 + for each game and just rebuy them when they eventually get re-released at a fraction of the price of $100.

As someone who considers myself a collector, I keep my games, and do let sentimental value get to me, which has stopped me from selling even some sub par games.

But I can understand how people in dire finance situations would need to sell off stuff. Just hasn't happened to me.

[quote name='lordwow']As someone who considers myself a collector, I keep my games, and do let sentimental value get to me, which has stopped me from selling even some sub par games.

But I can understand how people in dire finance situations would need to sell off stuff. Just hasn't happened to me.[/QUOTE]

In the last few years, I looked at my collection as more or less "the easy way to get out of debt if I ever got myself into it".

So here I am, in debt, and well, time to sell off the 1,000 games I don't have an interest in anymore ;)

It's hard at first but once you start selling it gets sooooooooooooo much easier.

My sentimental feelings about games begin and end with my NES and SNES collections. Nothing recent has that, because it's more "do I want to sell something I spent my whole childhood playing?" not "do I want to sell this game I've owned for two years and have played once halfway through?"

[quote name='Roufuss']In the last few years, I looked at my collection as more or less "the easy way to get out of debt if I ever got myself into it".

So here I am, in debt, and well, time to sell off the 1,000 games I don't have an interest in anymore ;)

It's hard at first but once you start selling it gets sooooooooooooo much easier.[/QUOTE]

Ya, that's true. I guess it's a little easier for me to say when my collection is limited to about the 20 best games for each system I own. Basically, I don't buy any of the mediocre->poor games anymore, and that makes it a little tougher to give them up.

I sell every game I own once I play through it. If I want to play it again I'll be able to buy it back for cheaper a year+ down the line in 99% of cases.

Exceptions are games that don't fetch even $5 on eBay. Those I trade for other worthless games or sell in a lot. Thankfully I don't have too many of those sitting around ATM.

But for me getting a good deal, enjoying the game, and then selling it on eBay for right around what I paid is all part of the fun.

[quote name='lordwow']Ya, that's true. I guess it's a little easier for me to say when my collection is limited to about the 20 best games for each system I own. Basically, I don't buy any of the mediocre->poor games anymore, and that makes it a little tougher to give them up.[/QUOTE]

I found I was also playing DS / PSP / 360 / Wii a hell of a lot more than any other system, and everytime I felt like I wanted to go back and play, let's say Guardian Heroes, something new and fresh and exciting would pop up, like Gears of War. I found I was having much more fun with the present state of gaming than the past, and when the past fetches me so much money it just seemed like a nobrainer.

I find people attach too much sentimental feelings on the object itself, and not the game... like they love having the actual game more than playing it. I'm more than happy to get $70 for my complete Final Fantasy 3 for SNES and grab FF 6 Advance for $25ish because my memories lie with the GAME, not the cardboard and paper and plastic.

It was tough for me to give up a lot of what I gave up, but it's just sitting there collecting dust and well, I'd rather someone else enjoys it, because I'm having way too much fun with my current systems.

you can also ask yourself what would do with the money from games. Buy more new release that will get a price drop in 6 months?

[quote name='Roufuss']I found I was also playing DS / PSP / 360 / Wii a hell of a lot more than any other system, and everytime I felt like I wanted to go back and play, let's say Guardian Heroes, something new and fresh and exciting would pop up, like Gears of War. I found I was having much more fun with the present state of gaming than the past, and when the past fetches me so much money it just seemed like a nobrainer.

I find people attach too much sentimental feelings on the object itself, and not the game... like they love having the actual game more than playing it. I'm more than happy to get $70 for my complete Final Fantasy 3 for SNES and grab FF 6 Advance for $25ish because my memories lie with the GAME, not the cardboard and paper and plastic.

It was tough for me to give up a lot of what I gave up, but it's just sitting there collecting dust and well, I'd rather someone else enjoys it, because I'm having way too much fun with my current systems.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've felt that. Recently I wanted to go back and play Earthbound but I've been too busy with new games like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Gears of War myself.

[quote name=' botticus']My sentimental feelings about games begin and end with my NES and SNES collections. Nothing recent has that, because it's more "do I want to sell something I spent my whole childhood playing?" not "do I want to sell this game I've owned for two years and have played once halfway through?"
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I'm much more sentimental towards my SNES because that's the system I really grew up with (I didn't own an NES). N64 and everything up is a bit easier for me to part with.

I collect as well as play, so I have way too many games. I also look at my collection as an 'insurance policy' against hard times. Not that I bought any of my games as an investment, but its nice to know I can sell all my crap for a few thousand if I need to.

If your gonna sell some of your older stuff, I say do it as an all or nothing deal. Why sell just Super Metroid and be left with a not-as-good snes collection? Sell ALL your snes games and be done with it. I dont mean sell all your games in one lot, what I mean is if you start selling snes, sell till its all gone. You dont want be sitting around playing Bebes Kids thinking 'man I used to own Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger...'

I only sell games I bought and really really don't like and ONLY if I can get atleast $10 for it. I'm also a collector and have a lot of mediocre games in my collection collecting dust.

Also, if you do plan on getting rid of them, sell them on ebay or here. If you sell them back to EB or Gamestop, you might as well hand them over and let them spit in your face. They never give you what they are worth.

[quote name='Puffa469'] You dont want be sitting around playing Bebes Kids thinking 'man I used to own Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger...'[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, yeah that is true.

Yeah the sentimental value for me has diminished. I got rid of a lot of books that I had and need to look at cds/dvds and games to dispose of. I'll prob keep all the Final Fantasy games and maybe other "series" like Metal Gear or Zelda games that I have, but I know I'll be listing Mario RPG for SNES, Kingdom Hearts and prob even my entire N64 console and games over the weekend once I sort through my entire collection.

Since I started hitting CAG, I became a collector. Getting games for very cheap and having shelves fulll of them was fun. Then I got married, and had more responsibilites, but still watned a Wii.

So, I started wedding through things. I sold all the systems I had no connection to (Master System, Saturn) and a metric ton of games. There were some I just didn't need or wouldn't play (I owned OoT in like 3 different versions and never, ever played the game beyond getting the Temple of Time scene). I ended up not only with enough money for the Wii at launch, but got enough for a 360 and am still like $450 "to the good."

Now when I get a game and play it, I decide is it worth keeping. Twilight Princess and Sonic both get to stay in my Wii collection, but Elebits, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, Monkey Ball, etc. were out as soon as I beat them or were done with them. Not that they were bad games, it's just, as mentioned above, you ought to strike while the iron is hot. This way, buying games doesn't become a $50/$60 investment, but can end up being only like $5-10 to get something right at launch. Then, watching the Deals and Trading forum, if I wanted to get it again later, I can do that and get things for dirt cheap.

There are somethings I won't part with regardless of how many times they're rereleased (you'd have to pry my Mario 3 cart and NES out of my cold, dead hands). Try to be rational, hold on to the things you really have an attachment to, and let the stuff that you aren't so connected to go, as long as you can honestly answer "no." to "Will I really want to play this more than I can get for it on CAG/eBay/Amazon?"

Last year when I was out of work, I sold some of my titles that I had less sentiment for. I didn't make a great deal of cash but every little bit helped while I was out of work. I was just about to start selling my many RPGS when I finally got a decent job. If I had to sell them I would have. It beats the hell out of dealing with bill collectors. That being said, I would have hated myself for it. I'm probably going to try to buy back some of what I sold.

[quote name='daroga']
So, I started wedding through things. I sold all the systems I had no connection to (Master System, Saturn) and a metric ton of games. There were some I just didn't need or wouldn't play (I owned OoT in like 3 different versions and never, ever played the game beyond getting the Temple of Time scene). I ended up not only with enough money for the Wii at launch, but got enough for a 360 and am still like $450 "to the good."
[/quote]See my spending tab. :D 99% of the stuff I've sold was backlog stuff, not flipping. And after spending $150 on imports over the last two days, I'm still over $1000 in the black.

So far I've made enough for an HDTV, a 360, I am thiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting myself completely out of debt (close to $3,000 worth, just need a few more things to sell, which they will, so I'm not worried) and I'll have hopefully over $1,000 left over because I keep finding things to list.

Not only do I not regret what I sold, I don't even remember half of it. Eventually, my SNES cart batteries will die, games will get re-released and reprinted on a system I actually keep hooked up to my television, etc etc.

I don't regret it at all... most games were just on the shelf just for collecting purposes, and well, if I didn't play them in the last 5 years I certainly wasn't going to play them in the next 10 years. I found myself playing the Virtual Console more than dragging out the NES / SNES.

The DS is the 1st system in recent memory I've wanted to actually collect games for, many of which I've gotten deals on thanks to CAG :) I kind of see them as both games and investments, though, because if worse comes to worse and I need to sell them, I know I could make most of my money back on my system + games. So, unless you NEED the money, I'd say hang on to them. They're only going to increase in value (at least, the ones you named, like Super Metroid), and with places like ebay there's always someone who'll buy it.

[quote name='botticus']See my spending tab. :D 99% of the stuff I've sold was backlog stuff, not flipping. And after spending $150 on imports over the last two days, I'm still over $1000 in the black.[/QUOTE]

Holy cow you guys are insane. All these thoughts have been taken well and I think I'm going to be selling my current and last gen titles before diving into the classics where it will take me more time to think about what needs to be kept and what nots. Besides, Super Metroid probably won't be launched until the MP3.

[quote name='Roufuss']Not only do I not regret what I sold, I don't even remember half of it. Eventually, my SNES cart batteries will die, games will get re-released and reprinted on a system .[/QUOTE]

What is the life expectancy of a battery? I hear people's cart batteries dying for games like Super Mario World but then again I hear people who have a copy of the NES Zelda that still works.

I sold my SNES collection on eBay last year. I anticipated it being one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but it really wasn't all that heart-wrenching. Even with the games I missed the most (mainly Earthbound) I had to admit that I hadn't played them since I beat them years and years ago, and that they were mainly around for show. Why keep games around to collect dust when I could release them to people who actually want to play them? That and I was running out of storage space for things and found I could benefit from the extra money.

And so it went. And my NES stuff will, too, once I get it all together. My reasons are partly altrustic, but mostly practical. The existence of the Virtual Console and GBA/Cube rereleases has made the decision a little easier as well. (For example, even if Nintendo never releases Earthbound for VC, there's always Mother 1+2 for GBA)

All-in-all, its up to you OP. I just went through and sold a few of my higher value games. I don't think I ever played my PS2 Marvel vs Capcom 2, I just wanted it because 1) it was valuable and 2)I love the DC version. However, when I saw I could get $100 for it, it went.

Conversly, my Suikoden 1 and 2 are never being sold. I love the series as a whole and will never sell a single one of them.

Chrono Trigger, FFIII, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, etc are also staying. I know I wont play them, and I know the battery on atleast FF3 is dead, but they're mine.

[quote name='Zeeman']What is the life expectancy of a battery? I hear people's cart batteries dying for games like Super Mario World but then again I hear people who have a copy of the NES Zelda that still works.[/quote]

I think it depends on how many game saves it has and how long the game was played. If it was played more, it was drawing power from the system, if there were no saves, there was nothing to power.

The nerd in me just doesn't want to let them go, especially since most of my "collection" is stuff I really like and there is very little filler. Maybe some day...

I still have the original PS and original PS2 with all the GT games. I will NEVER get rid of but sadly I've turned my back on them and gone with the 360.

[quote name='Zeeman']What is the life expectancy of a battery? I hear people's cart batteries dying for games like Super Mario World but then again I hear people who have a copy of the NES Zelda that still works.[/QUOTE]

When I sold my NES collection a couple years ago, all of my original batteres worked. Final Fantasy, Zelda 1 & 2, Dragon Warrior 1 & 2, many more. These were all games bought at release.

The NES collection was the beginning of my "sell" policy. I decided that anything that wasn't going to be played was worthless to keep. I had a fairly large NES collection already, and had recently bought a ton from Ebay to complete my want list. I finally got my hands on a complete NES, dusted off my games (all complete in box, of course) and loaded up Metroid. I ended up playing it for 10 minutes and couldn't imagine actually going all the way through it. Load up Metal Gear. Same feeling. Kid Icarus? Yep, same thing. After a day or two of tinkering, I decided that I honestly wasn't going to play any of these games. I dumped them all on Ebay and netted $1500.

I still "collect" PS1 and PS2 games, but if a game isn't what I expected (Symphony of the Night) or I complete it and it will never possibly be loaded into the PS2 ever again (Ico), I sell it.

I still have multiple copies of some games, even if they're been re-released. I've got three copies of Link's Awakening.. two original and one DX. Why? Mainly because I needed a filler in a 3 for $10 sale at GameCrazy. I own the first Zelda on the Wii and NES. I own FF2 and FFIV advance. I own FF3 and FFVI advance.

I don't get rid of them for various reasons. Many times it's because there's a memory attached (I never sell or trade any game I receive as a gift). Other times it's because I know I won't find the original version of it ever again (Earthbound on SNES, Mario RPG for example).. plus, when I have kids, I want to start them out right. NES.. SNES.. N64.. PS1/PS2/XBox/Cube.. Wii/360/PS3.. and i'm sure PS4/XB720 will be out by the time I have kids.

It's cool having them all digital on the Wii and everything, but some of these games i'll only make $10 for, and I can easily make $10 elsewhere. Hell, I probably have $10 in change laying around the house. I'd like to find the cases/instructions to a lot of them, though, especially Mario 1, 2 and 3 (so if you have them and are looking to unload them.. please!) Mario 2 was such a huge part of my growing up (mainly be trying to beat a level without wanting to throw the fucking NES out the window) that i'd probably stare at the box all slackjaw for an hour and feel like a kid again.

Plus.. you can play the games with a classic controller on the wii, sure.. but it'll never compare to the real thing on the real system.

See, my memory lies with the game itself, not with the cardboard, plastic, and paper. And having to worry about the battery shitting out? fuck that... let some other collector worry about that in a few years.

I think the Wii VC is amazingly great because it's going to collect all these old series in ONE PLACE, so I don't need to have 10 systems hooked up to my television, as well as have them look decent on my television. Also, alll my memories are of the game. I don't remember reading the manual, I don't remember opening the box, I do remember how awesome the game itself was and that, to me, is what's important.

I used to collect stuff complete... boxes and manuals and all that. I'm glad I don't because it is a royal pain in the ass making sure everything stays in good condition, and you end up paying out the ass for games because of it.

Thanks to Ebay, you can find ANYTHING you want again, if you're patient. I'd rather take these games digitally on the VC so I don't have to worry about fucking with an NES that was never meant for an HDTV and looks like shit on it.

[quote name='Roufuss']I think the Wii VC is amazingly great because it's going to collect all these old series in ONE PLACE, so I don't need to have 10 systems hooked up to my television, as well as have them look decent on my television. Also, alll my memories are of the game. I don't remember reading the manual, I don't remember opening the box, I do remember how awesome the game itself was and that, to me, is what's important.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. My favorite thing about the VC is finally having those games I missed out on growing up, like LTTP. But I've even double dipped on MK64 (which was probably a mistake, it is not as good as I remember), and I will be for Super Mario World (when I get some more points) and Gradius III (when it comes out), because they're too games I've... found other means of playing since... but would be more than happy to pay the $8 for to have it.

[quote name='Scorch']It's cool having them all digital on the Wii and everything, but some of these games i'll only make $10 for, and I can easily make $10 elsewhere. Hell, I probably have $10 in change laying around the house. [/quote]

Makes sense to me.

I don't have a problem selling current gen stuff since it will still be somewhat easy to find again, but unless I have dupes of older stuff (which I did with a cart only SNES Final Fantasy III that I sold to gamelotus), then I generally just keep them.

See with me, I'm definitely a collector. Everyone has that one (or more) system that they want every game possible for it. For me, it's the PS1 and PS2. For the PS1, I collected every single PS1 RPG and have them all sitting on the shelf. As I beat one, I put a small piece of tape on it as a reminder to myself (and an exclamation to anyone who visits) that those are the games I've beat. My goal is toultimately have a little sticker on every single game. As for the PS2, I have not limited it to only RPG's but instead to every game that I can get my hands on cheaply (plus all the good games that I'm willing to pay a premium for). However, I think my collecting obsession will end with the PS2. While I plan on purchasing a PS3, I do not plan on trying to collect all the games that I possibly can. Instead I think I will do what many others do. I will pick up a game, play it through, and then trade it for the next big thing. If I'm ever looking for an in between game, I've always got the PS1/PS2 backlog to take my time.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Apossum has a topic on changing SNES batteries yourself.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65757[/QUOTE]

Even Apossum himself said it was a pain in the ass and it's way too easy to brick a cart... I think he went through 4 copies of SMW before he got it to work.

Hell, it was that thread that convinced me changing the batteries is too much work and to just get my money a run ;)

Bumping because I'm considering selling some of the stuff I don't care about anymore. I don't know why it's so hard for me to let go! Additionally, I'm not sure about the best way to go about selling it. I figure Rarer stuff on Ebay, other excesses here?

That depends. Are you doing it to make money or to share the joy? If you want other CAGs to play them, sell them here. If you just want money, go for ebay.

[quote name='Kayden']That depends. Are you doing it to make money or to share the joy? If you want other CAGs to play them, sell them here. If you just want money, go for ebay.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I need money. It's just that ebay can be a huge pain in the ass so I'm debating about taking a profit hit for the Convenience.

I only sell games I don't like. Even if I beat it and I know I probably won't play it again (Phoenix Wright), AND I like it, I will keep it.

Reality's Fringe;2723087 said:
Heh, I need money. It's just that ebay can be a huge pain in the ass so I'm debating about taking a profit hit for the Convenience.

Well, do it this way, take ebay rates and subtract like $5. That saves you ebay and PP fees and gives a discount to CAGs.

Cool to see this bumped back up, as the OP of the thread I was looking through my game collection again and I'm going to be posting my trade list soon but I'm getting really busy with a full week of midterms.

The easiest place to sell things I've found in on Amazon. They take a hefty chunk (15%, compared to eBay + PayPal's 9-10%ish depending) but there's a lot of benefit to the site.

For one, Amazon is amazingly popular, and anytime anyone looks at that item, they can see yours for sale. eBay, if yours is on page 3, a potential buyer might not even see it, but if you're willing to sell your item for a penny less than the lowest one listed, anyone going to Amazon is going to see your item as the "LOWEST PRICE!" one.

Another great feature is the time. Items stay on Amazon for 60 days before expiring. That means, you can list a whole mess of stuff and just let it sit, maybe checking on the lowest priced items every now and then. I can't tell you how mnay times I've sold something I forgot I ever listed. It's a great feeling. Oh, and it doesn't cost you a dime to list things, so there's no risk.

There just seem to be fewer jerks selling and buying on Amazon. I think part of it is the assumption that you're buying from a store, not an individual with an auction. In 3 years or so selling books and games on Amazon, I've never had a single problem.

A lot of times, the lowest prices on Amazon far exceed what an item is going for on eBay. People who just check Amazon might buy yours, even though they could get it for cheaper, if for no other reason than the ease of use. Amazon has their credit card already, they don't have to "bid," etc.

Just some thoughts from me. eBay certainly has its place, and I almost always give CAG a few days if people might be interested in what I've got, but Amazon is a great way to go.

I go through my games once or twice a year, pick out about a thousand dollars worth, and throw them up on Ebay in big lots. I'll probably do it again sometime this year during the garage sale season, when I end up with doubles or better copies of some stuff.

Sometimes I look through my collection and wonder why I have 500 Gameboy games sitting in a box that I'll never play, although while looking through the box, I'll see 50 games that I really want to play "one of these days" so I'll hold onto them. I'm also working on a complete NES collection but some days I really want to just give up and dump the 600 or so NES carts I already have.

Depending on what you're selling, it could be a huge profit hit, and Ebay is no more of a pain in the ass than CAG is.

In fact, most of the time for me CAG is more of a pain in the ass than Ebay is, because people want to haggle on the price, they want to trade instead of buy, they'll agree to buy and then later come up with some excuse out of nowhere to back out, and most people don't really ship in a timely manner that I've seen on CAG.

Ebay is really very cut and dry and it's only a pain in the ass if you make it more complicated than it is. If you need the money, throw it on Ebay with a bunch of BIN's, and you'll be making money in a day. I've done tons and tons of sales on Ebay and I can't really think of a time that was more stressful then some of the shit I can think of on CAG.

Dump them on Ebay if you really want to go the most out of your items.

Adding to what I was talking about earlier, I sold about 80% of my games and I'm now free of credit card debt ($3000 worth, crazy!!), I'm about to pay off my cell phone bill where I went over, and I'll still have over $1,000 left that I'll just shove in the bank. Ebay can be awesome for old games you're never going to play again and if you need some money... I had shit that I thought was worthless end up being worth quite a bit.

Hmmm, I need to think about it. I'm going to start going through some of my shit (my collection's nowhere as big as yours, Roufuss :lol:) and put a list together. I have a bunch of sealed shit that I bought because it was cheap and I just have no interest in it. Some of them are sealed PS1 RPGs (black labels at that, also a sealed Arc the Lad Collection), so I should do a little research. I also have shit like Capcom Vs Snk 2 EO, Xenosaga 1 and 2 (black label), Ring of Red etc. sealed for the PS2, a few copies of PS1 RPGs I got at a yardsale for REAL cheap (most are disc only like Breath of Fire 3 and 4, but I also picked up a Spare Lunar 2). Uhh, also various SNES and N64 games (mostly non rare), some DS games (might sell Lost in Blue) and so on. I'm sure it won't fetch anywhere near 3,000 though, unless I sell most of my old Ps1 RPGS and shit like Earthbound (which isn't going to happen, not my complete Earthbound anyway)

Also Daroga, I've never considered Amazon. I'll have to check out their selling policy. I notice that a lot of things are grossly overpriced by seller's, so if I can undercut them reasonably I could stand to make a nice mint on certain things.

I would consider myself a collector now for the last year and a half or so. I try to limit myself to $20-30 each week at the most towards whatever I want to buy, barring the occasional huge clearance/amazing deal or new release that I cant wait for (which recently is only FFXII, GH2, Madden). I think as long as your spending doesnt start to hurt or hinder you financially, you are ok.

I really only buy games for one of 3 reasons: its really cheap, its rare, or I want to play it right now. If it doesnt fit at least one of those criteria, I dont bother (unless I can somehow make a big profit on it). That helps to keep me under control a little bit :).

Of the 200-250 games I own, I could probably sell off about 80% of them and not even notice they are gone. I just find having them and hunting them down for cheap is a neat little hobby when I have some down time, as long as it doesnt kill my wallet. So I guess in the end, unless you want to amass a large pile of games for no particular reason, you may as well sell off anything you have no intention of playing anymore.

bread's done
Back