Sending my Wii for repair, AGAIN (now with nasty screenshots)

catapult37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Maybe I've just got bad luck. Nintendo seems to make great quality hardware, but in the last year I've had to send both my Wii and DS Lite off for repair, and now the Wii has to go back again. The trouble with the DS was a touch screen that wouldn't calibrate properly. With the Wii it was this problem apparently attributed to the first-run set of ATI chips where the screen starts to barf up random black or white pixel static. I posted a thread with screenshots the first time it happened (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133801 . The shots really don't do justice to the problem as the static kinda moves and flows around the affected area).

I haven't played my Wii too much since the first repair this summer. To be honest, I noticed the problem occurring again
in October as I played MP3. It was especially noticable during the little "ship flight" transition scenes. Somehow, though, I let myself go into denial and I ignored it.

Now, I can't take it anymore. I'm trying to play both Mario and Zack&Wiki, and it's getting much worse. I'll post up shots later if I can, but the effect has spread to the entire screen, and Zack and Wiki especially looks like shit. It seems to depend on what's happening on screen. For instance, the "garden" hub room in Mario is pretty bad about this. I'm putting a hold on both games until I have a clean system. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here we go, some screenshots. How would you like to have this crap all over your screen?
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Funny how the camera picks up the normally invisible RF emitters on the sensor bar, though. :)

I must have the best luck. I still have my original launch "fatty" PS2, launch premium Xbox 360, launch Saturn and Dreamcast and they all still work to this day. Yeah, I havent played some of the older systems in awhile, but they have been used MANY hours over the years. Hopefully my luck continues. :knocks on wood:

Good luck OP with the repair.

[quote name='catapult37']Maybe I've just got bad luck. Nintendo seems to make great quality hardware, but in the last year I've had to send both my Wii and DS Lite off for repair, and now the Wii has to go back again. The trouble with the DS was a touch screen that wouldn't calibrate properly. With the Wii it was this problem apparently attributed to the first-run set of ATI chips where the screen starts to barf up random black or white pixel static. I posted a thread with screenshots the first time it happened (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133801 . The shots really don't do justice to the problem as the static kinda moves and flows around the affected area).

I haven't played my Wii too much since the first repair this summer. To be honest, I noticed the problem occurring again
in October as I played MP3. It was especially noticable during the little "ship flight" transition scenes. Somehow, though, I let myself go into denial and I ignored it.

Now, I can't take it anymore. I'm trying to play both Mario and Zack&Wiki, and it's getting much worse. I'll post up shots later if I can, but the effect has spread to the entire screen, and Zack and Wiki especially looks like shit. It seems to depend on what's happening on screen. For instance, the "garden" hub room in Mario is pretty bad about this. I'm putting a hold on both games until I have a clean system. Has anyone else had this problem?[/quote]

dude, that sucks ass.
now if you'll excuse me, im gonna go hug my launch day wii.

Im sending mine in this week for repair as well.Lately the disc drive has been rather loud when loading a disc and the whole time while the game is being played the disc drive is 10 times louder then it normally is.It also has been freezing and giving my a black screen on a few occasions when trying to start a game and the only way to fix it was to unplug the system.

Ive read a lot of people saying the loud drive is just the system reading the disc but if thats the case how come its just recently started doing this and never did it for the past year until now.

[quote name='catapult37']With the Wii it was this problem apparently attributed to the first-run set of ATI chips where the screen starts to barf up random black or white pixel static. I posted a thread with screenshots the first time it happened (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133801 . The shots really don't do justice to the problem as the static kinda moves and flows around the affected area).[/quote]

I just sent mine in for repair right before x-mas for the exact same problem. I agree with you that the pictures really don't do it justice at all. I bought my wii around July of last year and I started noticing the artifacts around October/November, especially with darker games like Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil 4. Like you, I thought it may be a cable problem, but I quickly ruled that out after my friend brought over his wii and hooked each up with a few different cables.

I haven't really had a chance to play it very much since it was returned to me, but so far it looks like they fixed the problem. I'm more than a little disappointed to hear that you're experiencing the same exact problem I was, even after you had it "repaired." I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my repair was a permanent fix, unlike yours.

On the plus side, I can not believe how quickly Nintendo got the wii back to me. I think I mailed it off on the 20th or 21st, and even with the holiday and the weekend they had it back to me by the 27th. I was amazed to see a box sitting on my doorstep (and a little annoyed they just left it there), when I came home from work last week.

Oh, I managed to snag a couple "great" screenshots of the effect. I'll update as soon as I get them into photobucket. As for yours, I wouldn't worry much -- if it seems better, it probably is. I honestly don't remember how much wii I played after getting the first repair back. I'm thinking it was never really fixed.

[quote name='addicted2games']I must have the best luck. I still have my original launch "fatty" PS2, launch premium Xbox 360, launch Saturn and Dreamcast and they all still work to this day. Yeah, I havent played some of the older systems in awhile, but they have been used MANY hours over the years. Hopefully my luck continues. :knocks on wood:

Good luck OP with the repair.[/quote]
i've fortunatley had similarly good luck like you... my genesis, psx, gamecube, gbc, and wii all work perfectly...although everything except the wii is in a box now....and unplayed for at least over a year.

bread's done
Back