Sent my broken PS3 to Sony, got back a PS4

lilman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
My fat ps3 (80gb Metal Gear version) got YLOD. I've had this ps3 for years so it was way out of warranty. I contacted Sony and they said they would repair for $129 or I could trade-in for $99. I knew my fat ps3 was so old that even after a repair it would probably break again, so I went with the trade-in.

I was told by multiple Sony reps that the trade-in would be for a refurbished ps3 super slim with 250GB hdd. I prefer the old fat or slim designs, but whatever, refurbished super slim for $99 is fine with me.

So here's the crazy part. I received the shipment back from Sony today and opened to find a refurbished ps4.

Holy shit! Was this a mistake? Or is this how Sony does ps3 trade-ins now? They also sent me back the blu-ray movie that was stuck in my broken ps3, so this shipment was definitely for me.

I will still need to buy a ps3 since I have lots of ps3 software and my bro has a ps3 for co-op. But $99 for a refurbished ps4 is amazing. I had to go out and buy a ds4 controller since the refurb ps4 came with nothing. That adds another $50 on top of the $99. Luckily the ps4 uses standard power cables so I didn't need to buy a brick.

Anyone else have a broken ps3 experience like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
You win!

My fat ps3 (80gb Metal Gear version) got YLOD. I've had this ps3 for years so it was way out of warranty. I contacted Sony and they said they would repair for $129 or I could trade-in for $99. I knew my fat ps3 was so old that even after a repair it would probably break again, so I went with the trade-in.

I was told by multiple Sony reps that the trade-in would be for a refurbished ps3 super slim with 250GB hdd. I prefer the old fat or slim designs, but whatever, refurbished super slim for $99 is fine with me.

So here's the crazy part. I received the shipment back from Sony today and opened to find a refurbished ps4!

Holy shit! Was this a mistake? Or is this how Sony does ps3 trade-ins now? They also sent me back the blu-ray movie that was stuck in my broken ps3, so this shipment was definitely for me.

I will still need to buy a ps3 since I have lots of ps3 software and my bro has a ps3 for co-op. But $99 for a refurbished ps4 is amazing. I had to go out and buy a ds4 controller since I didn't have one already and the refurb ps4 came with nothing. That adds another $50 on top of the $99. Luckily the ps4 uses standard power cables so I didn't need to buy a brick.

I really did want a ps3 back though, lol. Was going to co-op Destiny with my bro and wanted to pick up the new Borderlands in October. PS4 doesn't have enough games that I want right now (was planning to get one next year). Still, I can't say no to ps4 at this price. Black Friday will probably have a good deal on ps3. Or maybe try my luck with used ps3 on cowboom or eBay?

I'm really curious if this was a mistake or this is new trade-in policy. The repair report that they included in the return shipment also states ps4 as the returned hardware.

Btw to get a trade-in through Sony, you need to call and ask for it when they're filling out your information. Their web service request form only lets you do a repair. A repair is nice since you don't lose your hdd data (so many lost phantom shares...) but like I said before, I was worried of it breaking again due to faulty design of fat ps3s (google reflow/reball to learn more).

Eventually, all the BC PS3s are going to die... I have the same model as you and I've never noticed any issues with it. I also did the some of the maintenance on it to hopefully keep it alive a bit longer (thermal paste replace, and upgraded power supply) but I know it'll die sooner or later. 

If you want a BC PS3, it's probably a crap shoot these days. If you just want a PS3, then I'm sure Sony will have some holiday bundle during BF. I would just hold on to the PS4. You're not gonna find a PS4, refurb or otherwise, for $130 for a long time and 2015 is gonna be awesome for games. 

Congrats man!:D 

If you want a BC PS3, it's probably a crap shoot these days. If you just want a PS3, then I'm sure Sony will have some holiday bundle during BF. I would just hold on to the PS4. You're not gonna find a PS4, refurb or otherwise, for $130 for a long time and 2015 is gonna be awesome for games.
I don't need bc (will be missed though), just a ps3. Will probably get the holiday BF bundle like you said.

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to next gen games... next year :p

As I'm guessing most people probably didn't know that Sony offers a trade-in service for broken ps3 in lieu of the normal repair (I didn't know until a rep I was chatting with mentioned it), I doubt anyone here will have feedback on whether this ps4 is a happy accident or standard policy. At least I have enough CAG experience to know not to ask Sony ^^;

Please reply if you've had a recent Sony service ps3 trade-in and whether you got a ps3 or ps4 in return.

I'm definitely keeping the ps4, not looking for trades. I'll try to find a ps3 either on clearance or during BF. Thanks anyway!

If someone has a broken ps3 and needs a working one, it may be worth trying a trade-in and see what you get.

• Worst case scenario: You get a refurbished ps3 250gb super slim for $99. That's a good price even for refurbished.
  • Best case scenario: My story reflects the new standard Sony trade-in for broken ps3. $99 (plus ~$50 for a new ds4 controller) is awesome for a refurbished ps4 500gb.

So here's the crazy part. I received the shipment back from Sony today and opened to find a refurbished ps4.

I will still need to buy a ps3 since I have lots of ps3 software and my bro has a ps3 for co-op. But $99 for a refurbished ps4 is amazing. I had to go out and buy a ds4 controller since the refurb ps4 came with nothing. That adds another $50 on top of the $99. Luckily the ps4 uses standard power cables so I didn't need to buy a brick.

Pics or it didn't happen! Nah, just kidding. That's awesome! Congrats, I have a backup slim that I'm going to use for rest of my PS3 games. I'm praying that one lasts like seven years just like my 80Gb Metal Gear Solid PS3 did. I definitely not getting a Super Slim PS3 though....Not a huge fan of them.

thats really awesome, congrats

(only thing is wutya gonna do w/ps3 games, and i personally dont know if id keep it without lettin them know, its a $400 item so its kinda, and i say that with a very strong emphasis because it really isnt as they screwed up and sent wrong console, but nonetheless, like stealing if u dont tell em. while i doubt theyd make you send it back or anything, they might even reward your honesty - but who knows ...the serial might be flagged if u try to register it, or somethin, in either case, its still awesome and i hope you enjoy it dude)

Yeah that's pretty epic on their part. Did you contact them about it? I would at least do the courtesy of contacting them and see if they gave it to you as a surprise or if it was a mistake. It could have been another persons PS4 though, so who knows. 

[quote name="lilman" post="12105076" timestamp="1411073032"]My fat ps3 (80gb Metal Gear version) got YLOD. I've had this ps3 for years so it was way out of warranty. I contacted Sony and they said they would repair for $129 or I could trade-in for $99. I knew my fat ps3 was so old that even after a repair it would probably break again, so I went with the trade-in.

Anyone else have a broken ps3 experience like this?[/quote]
Totally, same thing, only when I opened the box the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders stormed out with cold beer and fresh pizza. I think Sony mixed up the labels on the boxes or something.

bread's done
Back