Serial Number Dilemma. Help!

Chronotrigga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I recently purchased a 360 on eBay two days ago and I received it today. The owner said she was selling it because it kept getting an unreadable disc error. When I got the 360, I powered it up and the unreadable disc error came up. However, after blowing into the disc drive a couple times, the unreadable disc error went away. I knew that the disc drive would fail soon, so I went on xbox.com to register the console. When I reached xbox.com, I went to go look at the serial number in the back. The serial number sticker looked like it was peeling off, but I didn't really notice anything wrong about it until later.

The serial number on the back of the 360 wasn't registered. In fact, it was still in warranty until 8/30/2009. So, I went to go place an order describing that the disc drive kept saying "unreadable disc errors". Now, after several hours, I was thinking to myself, why the sticker on the back would be somewhat peeled. To confirm my senses, I powered up the Xbox360 a few minutes ago, went to console settings, and checked the serial number.

The serial number in the console settings is different than the serial number in the back. When I tried to register the serial number in the console setting on my xbox.com profile, it listed it as already registered. Then, the Xbox360 shut off and RROD came up (first time it happened, only powered it up three times).

So, now I have an RROD'ed Xbox360 (that was not described in the eBay description) with apparently two different freaking serial numbers. The warranty seal is still intact, but the serial numbers is a problem -- I don't know how to send it back if I could. I've already emailed the seller saying what has happened, but I doubt she will do anything about it because she probably switched the serial numbers. What can I do? How can I send it back to Microsoft?

WTF.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure she took me for a fool and thought I wouldn't notice. I'm thinking about just sending the 360 straight up since it already has RROD and it's covered anyway.. but the fact of the matter is is the serial number on the back most likely isnt the console's real serial number (as proved by console settings).

Do you really think the Mexican tech will check as thoroughly as you, or just throw it on the giant pile for parts?

Worth a shot sending it to M$, you probably won't get anywhere with a dispute on ebay.

"Did you receive a Xbox 360?"

"yes, but the serial number..."

"Case Closed"

Call MS, send it to MS, solution solved.

Don't even bother with serial number doodoo. MS will fix it and I don't see a valid reason why they wouldn't take it in.

if MS won't fix it, i will. I've done a lot of red ring/disc error fixing and it really isn't as hard to do yourself either. Besides, it is a nice way to make extra money on the side. There's tons of people who end up not using MS or have 360s out of warranty.

See if the serial number in the front matches the one one the back or on the console settings.. It's inside the door for the USB ports on the front. Most people don't know that one is even there. There's also a warranty seal on the front of the console under the faceplate as well. See if that has been removed/broken.

I lifted up the faceplate and the warranty seal is still intact. The serial number is the one listed in the console, not the one in the back. So, should I just send it to Microsoft under the obviously fake serial number sticker that's in warranty even though the serial number sticker on the front and the one in the console matches? Isn't that illegal or something lol.

Think of it this way, most people wouldn't be as thorough as you were. Most people would probably just check the serial number on the back and that's it. Even if the serial number might not be the original one, just send it in. After all, for RRoD that console should still be in warranty.

This is why I would NEVER buy a console on eBay- especially a 360. Do you think the serial number in the back was replaced because that system has been sent to MS for repairs already, like a refurb system? Just a thought

Send it in under the most obvious serial number (the one on the back). What's the worst Microsoft would do to you for playing the ignorance card?

~HotShotX

I'm most likely going to send it tommorow, as I have my shipping label already sent to me via e-mail. I don't see why the person would switch the serial numbers in the first place. Both the warranty seals aren't broken and everything works great except for the disc drive. I've actually been playing on this 360 since my real 360 is getting fixed (should come back tommorow, hopefully).

It takes me about 1-12 tries of re-running the disc to get it to play (has unplayable disc error). It seems like the only thing wrong with it is the laser in the disc drive is a bit jiggly probably, while everything else is fine. It could have most likely already been sent to Microsoft for repairs, but like I said, not sure why the person would switch the serial numbers -- she probably knew the current warranty is only for RROD (but the console RROD'ed like twice already, but amazingly it runs seconds after). Like everyone said, can't hurt to send it to Microsoft and see what happens. :D

Worst Case Scenario I guess is I just get it back, which isn't a problem at all.

bread's done
Back