Serious lack of 3rd party games for my DS.

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Ok...looking over my collection, I have pretty much all first party games (except for the 2 castlevanias).

On my Gamecube and N64 I only owned games made by Nintendo, but I'd like to change this pattern with the DS and Wii.

There are so many DS games I don't even know where to start. Because I trust the common CAG opinion over review sites, I'd really appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Here's what I have for the DS from 3rd parties:

Adventure
Phoenix Wright (both)
Dragon Quest Heroes

RPG
Contact
Final Fantasy III
Etrian Odyssey

All very good. Top recommendations would be the first PW and DQH. If you like old school RPGs, then FFIII and/or Etrian.

Trauma Center if you never played that.. or the Wii version (But seriously I like the Wii Version better)

Sonic Rush is AWESOME, FYI.
Puzzle Quest, another gem. (But then, it IS comin to XBL)
Zoo Keeper. It's probably hard to find now..but if you can find it, it should be like $3. I love it. There's a lot more but I highly recommend the first 3!

I'll second Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Puzzle Quest, and Dragon Quest Heroes of the ones already mentioned. I absolutely loved PQ and DQH.

Contact is one I want to check out, but haven't yet.

I guess most of my games are 1st party as well, but at least Nintendo has made a boat load of quality titles for the thing.

if you guys are interested in zookeeper i have a new/sealed copy up for grabs

as for 3rd party games, megaman zx is a pretty good sidescroller with special elements thrown into it
eg. switching between 6 diff suits presenting the bosses from the original MegamanZero games

PW is definitely in there, hotel dusk (its like playing a book), puzzleCRACK, viewtiful joe i'd recommend

Hmm, I have those three games. And the game I have played the most is Sonic. But these games aren't what I believe to be innovative. Sonic is essentially Sonic 2d ala NSMB. And Megaman ZX seemed like just another X in the series, except in handheld form. And though DQH is the most innovative of the three, it seemed like just a plain top down adventure/platformer game with a couple side quests/games. Not that these games were bad, they were very good. But I suggest to buy only the games [franchise] which you are genuinely interested in.

I can vouch for Trauma Center, however, I have not beaten it. It is just plain hard.

Maybe it's just me, but Pheonix Wright is definitely not the best DS game. It is good and the story is great/entertaining/humorous. However the lifespan is extremely short.

Can't go wrong with Rocket Slime! Hmmm...other 3rd party games...

If you like RPGs then Etrian Odyssey is a game I'm quite fond of.

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam doesn't seem to get the love or attention it deserves, it's seriously fun as hell.

Nanostray can be had for about $10 on clearance and was a lot of fun. Too short, though.

And if you like puzzle games then there's a steady supply. Puyo Pop Fever, Meteos, lots of sudoku (I've heard Platinum Sudoku rocks, esp. w/ the crossword mode).

Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin
Lunar Knights
Phoenix Wright
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Scurge Hive
Sonic Rush
Spider-Man 3
Star Wars Episode III
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Ultimate Spider-Man

Looking forward to:

Mortal Kombat
Ninja Gaiden
Contra IV
Dragon Quest VI
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe

I just got rid of a shitload of my third party games (traded in for the GS promotion), but I'd reccomend the following:

Pac Pix
Dragon Quest Heroes
Cooking Mama
Meteos

I'd have more suggestions if I didn't unload all those games. :x

[quote name='Rocko']I just got rid of a shitload of my third party games (traded in for the GS promotion), but I'd reccomend the following:

Pac Pix
Dragon Quest Heroes
Cooking Mama
Meteos

I'd have more suggestions if I didn't unload all those games. :x[/QUOTE]

OH shit yeah Pac Pix and Pac n roll were both pretty great IMO.

I enjoyed DQM: Joker more than Rocket Slime, though I'd recommend Rocket Slime to a younger gamer.

My favorite 3rd party game so far is:
RPG: FFIII
Rhythm: EBA or Ouendan 2
Story/Search: Hotel Dusk (Trace memory if you're 8-14yrs old.)

[quote name='Emi']I enjoyed DQM: Joker more than Rocket Slime, though I'd recommend Rocket Slime to a younger gamer.

My favorite 3rd party game so far is:
RPG: FFIII
Rhythm: EBA or Ouendan 2
Story/Search: Hotel Dusk (Trace memory if you're 8-14yrs old.)[/quote]Technically EBA/Ouendan are first-party. Nintendo published. Same with most of the popular imports if I'm not mistaken (Jump, Daigasso).

As is Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk I believe. Any of the Castlevanias will do you right. Sonic Rush is also a great game (though pretty short)>

Thanks for the corrections. Maybe there is a lack of AAA titles in the 3rd party... But if OP hasn't played them 3rd or not than why not take a look.

Actually both Cing and iNiS are independent developers that have made games for other platforms. They just happen to both have had their DS games published by Nintendo.

bread's done
Back