*Serious Topic*: Who is familiar with medicine and laws???

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Hi. :wave:

Long story short: I'm 22 years old, and I have had asthma since I was 2. Life pretty much sucked because my asthma took over it. Sigh. Anyways, just recently in January I was prescribed Advair. It's an inhaler that prevents asthma attacks--and guess what? It worked SO well. In april, the company I worked for went out of business..and thus..lost my health insurance. It's very expensive and I can NOT afford it (since it's a few hundred dollars for 30 days!!)

I read somewhere and have been told that certain medicines can be given to you for free when you NEED them. Is this true? I know we have a lot of smart people around here..and I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about (if it's true..)

So basically: Is this true? How can I go about on getting this?

It was a nice 7 months...that stuff worked so well..and I'm extremely terrified of being off of it. Not for addict reasons--LOL--but because my breathing was AWESOME all year. Soo.. hopefully, I can get input.

Thanks for all the help in advance. :)

270911970_db35fdd4ca.jpg

(I'm sorry, but with that thread title, I couldn't resist. I've never had a chance to use this picture before).

lmao. It's ok! i'm just having more or less of a panic attack right now anyway, so at the moment it felt appropriate! LOL

you know, if you go to www.advair.com, there is a link at the bottom of the page that clearly states:

GSK for You: If you don't have prescription coverage and can't afford your medicines, visit GSKforYou.com.

[quote name='RBM']you know, if you go to www.advair.com, there is a link at the bottom of the page that clearly states:

GSK for You: If you don't have prescription coverage and can't afford your medicines, visit GSKforYou.com.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them, they are alternative health benefits sorta. You still have to pay for them, or already have some sort of benefits.

Well, I'm afraid that's what GSK offers, at this point. The $10 coupon doesn't sound like much, I must agree, but it sounds like the tax-free charitable programs large pharmaceutical companies used to offer were axed by modifications to Medicare a few years ago.

Evidentally, many folks are currently stuck in the same dilemma as you are. However, the article in that link states that:
"Currently, some drug companies, including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Pfizer and Wyeth, offer help to Medicare members."

Perhaps your best bet would be to contact GSK and to ask your physician to attest to your need for Advair, and also to provide some proof of financial hardship.

Judging by those articles, however, I think there are elderly patients on fixed incomes who are in much more dire straits (in terms of multiple health problems,) so your chances aren't great. Now would be a really handy time to have a girlfriend who works at GSK. :) (employees tend to receive large discounts or even free prescriptions to their employer's medicines.)

I don't think lilboo is going to have a girlfriend at GSK...

Seriously though... hmmm...

Aren't you going to get another job relatively soon? I mean, the way you put it, you didn't get fired or anything bad. I mean the GSK idea is a good one for now but if you had a job good enough to have what sounds like very solid healthcare coverage, why wouldn't you get another job that offers similar benefits sometime soon?

[quote name='Halo05']I don't think lilboo is going to have a girlfriend at GSK...

Seriously though... hmmm...

Aren't you going to get another job relatively soon? I mean, the way you put it, you didn't get fired or anything bad. I mean the GSK idea is a good one for now but if you had a job good enough to have what sounds like very solid healthcare coverage, why wouldn't you get another job that offers similar benefits sometime soon?[/QUOTE]

LOL nice ;)

Oh, believe me I have been looking! This wasn't supposed to be some kind of "rest of my life" thing. I just wanted to see if anything I can be OK for a few months just in case..ya know? My biggest concern to be honest IS Fall/Winter...for me that's when I get REAL sick. So hopefully this is something or I can get employed remotely soon so I can be safe for the winter.

I had sent in an e-mail in the contact us section--so hopefully someone can get back to me w/ some USEFUL info.

http://www.bridgestoaccess.com/

Advair seems to be covered. Seems like you need a health care worker (MD not required, see list on the website above) be your advocate, and prove that your income is below a certain level and that you have no other prescription drug coverage. Phone numbers are provided in the link. I would strongly recommend calling them once your application has been submitted to ensure that they received your application and are working on it.

The website claims that you will have to pay a small copay for the first 60 day supply at your local pharmacy, then the advair will be mailed to you at your home address.

Copay is $10.

Good luck. Unfortunately, GSK is so large that I don't personally know anyone affiliated with this program. (I am in PA, and the address given in the website is Phoenix, Arizona.)

Our prescription drug coverage is tied into our medical plan for only immediate family members, so I could not do any more than giving out this link even for a relative.

bread's done
Back