SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed up for the SERO plan in January, and got the Moto Q9C. gotta tell ya... LOVE IT!! and I know it's weird, but I've had nothing but good dealings with customer support.
Only problem is the coverage area. I don't get as good of coverage as i did with AT&T. but still, for the price??!

[quote name='creeeaature']What kind of sign up bonuses can you get?[/quote]

What do you mean bonuses?

You get unlimited texting, unlimited data which includes downloading and web surfing. Nights start at 7pm and weekends Fri-Sun. 500 anytime minutes for $30 or 1250 for $49.99...You get access to sprint TV at no additional charge. The plan is pimp what more could you ask for?

[quote name='ralph10']I can't decide which phone to get ! Help me out guys,
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=LG260WKIT
or
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=SPHM520ZSS[/quote]

The Rumor is the same as the LG Scoop. My g/f fell in love with it and ordered one it has a qwerty keypad which is a huge bonus but its kind of cramped. It also feels a little flimsy especially how it flips open its spring action.

It's going to boil down to what you want to do with your phone.

Do you want to text and surf the web if so go with the Rumor. If you want to surf the web and watch Sprint TV go with the Samsung.

[quote name='Drnick']my parents are looking to switch their phones from crappy nextel.

do you know if its possible to move your phone number and still sign up for a SERO plan?[/quote]

I'm on Nextel, and you couldn't pay me to switch back to the Sprint side again. To help answer your question, I remember when I switched a few years back (right after the merger) it didn't violate my contract to switch to Nextel, since it was the same company. The same might prevent them from getting SERO.

FTW, my unlimited incoming serves me just fine.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Would this work with an unlocked iPhone? $30 for unlimited data, minimal minutes (I don't use many) and Skype functionality at WiFi (doubt it would work over the data plan) would be epic.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the iPhone is GSM and sprint's network is CDMA (oops, I said PCS; thanx VIP)

Before X-mas of 2007, I got a Touch and a Razr2 on sero. It's great, but yeah, Sprint's CS kinda blows. For me, it's been just about 50/50 whether or not I got to talk to someone that could actually help you the right way. If you tend to not have any issues or any reason to talk to CS much, I'd say sign up for this.

Do you think I would be ok using one of their emails? Do the employees get asked at some point if they actually referred someone using their address?

[quote name='spinksjinx']The Rumor is the same as the LG Scoop. My g/f fell in love with it and ordered one it has a qwerty keypad which is a huge bonus but its kind of cramped. It also feels a little flimsy especially how it flips open its spring action.

It's going to boil down to what you want to do with your phone.

Do you want to text and surf the web if so go with the Rumor. If you want to surf the web and watch Sprint TV go with the Samsung.[/quote]
Thanks man! I am gonna go with Samsung.
Hmm I don't really feel comfortable putting in my Social Security Number, is it safe?

[quote name='TyRiKe']sprint = drop calls all day in los angeles, ca. probably better elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Los Angeles and I never lose a call- my network status is always Evo (max).

[quote name='ralph10']Thanks man! I am gonna go with Samsung.
Hmm I don't really feel comfortable putting in my Social Security Number, is it safe?[/quote]

I had no problems with it, just make sure your pc isn't infected or anything.

[quote name='TyRiKe']sprint = drop calls all day in los angeles, ca. probably better elsewhere.[/quote]

Imagine what its like in smaller towns like where I am from.

I am happy to provide my work E-mail if needed for people to sign up for the SERO plans, as they are clamping down on the generic addresses, and recent layoffs may make some of the ones posted from SlickDeals invalid. Send me a PM, I'm not quite willing to post it out here in public, but very willing to help in any way I can regarding Sprint.

What the hell, I go to my invoice and check my bill for my sprint phone and look at the features for my plan.

SERO F&F 1250- $49.99

Plan Features:
  • Sprint Fair & Flex
  • Caller ID
  • Adjustable Anytime Minutes
  • Call Waiting
  • Three-way Calling
  • $49.99 Minimum Monthly Charge
  • Voicemail
  • Nationwide Long Distance Included
  • Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
  • Nights: M-Th 7PM-7AM Wknd: F 7PM-M 7AM
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (pcs to Pcs)
Am I missing something where is my unlimited text/data???

[quote name='spinksjinx']What the hell, I go to my invoice and check my bill for my sprint phone and look at the features for my plan.

SERO F&F 1250- $49.99

Plan Features:
  • Sprint Fair & Flex
  • Caller ID
  • Adjustable Anytime Minutes
  • Call Waiting
  • Three-way Calling
  • $49.99 Minimum Monthly Charge
  • Voicemail
  • Nationwide Long Distance Included
  • Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
  • Nights: M-Th 7PM-7AM Wknd: F 7PM-M 7AM
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (pcs to Pcs)
Am I missing something where is my unlimited text/data???[/quote]

mine doesn't list unlimited text/data either, but when I called to activate and called to get a promotional code ($50 credit per phone) added to my account I asked if unlimited text was in my plan and they both said yes.

Sero is a great plan, I've had it for about 2 1/2 years now with no problems. I usually recommend this to anyone who hates their current plan.

I'm a bit worried because I checked the coverage and about a 1/5 mi. radius around me has only light coverage ("Good"). Does that equal shit?

I checked my area and I have a pretty good coverage..but I have until November to get out of my crappy Verizon account :cry:

The coverage map is very spotty in my area. I have midrange coverage at my home address, but other areas in my town is listed as roaming. If I am in one of the roaming areas, will I still be able to have access to the unlimited features (mobile to mobile, text messaging, internet, etc)?

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']Coverage doesn't change by plan (all SERO is is a particular Suite of Plans). So that's it.[/quote]

I'm going to have to jump on this. Gotta weasel out of my Verizon contract first.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm going to have to jump on this. Gotta weasel out of my Verizon contract first.[/QUOTE]

Lemme know if you find a way! I can't wait to get out of their fuckin contract!!

If you know a sprint manager you can do even better. You can get on their advantage plan which is:

Unlimited: Text Messaging, Mobile to Mobile calls, Data Access, Picture Mail, Nights/Weekends

Voicemail
Call waiting
Nationwide Long distance
500 adjustable Anytime minutes

For $15 a month. Yup. I got me a Centro for $99 and have been enjoying it since. At $15, it's cheaper than a fucking land line, and I gets internet anywhere.

The only problem with the advantage accounts is that each employee can only have 10 (used to be 20 but they recently tightened the policy) advantage club accounts. By the time family is accounted for, most people don't have any to spare. Also, the advantage club accounts are different in that the employee is liable for the account, unlike SERO. So if you don't pay, the employee has to. (another reason most reserve these for very close freinds and family that they trust to pay the bills... :))

How come Sprint forces you get a Blackberry data package for $30/mo if you want to buy a Blackberry? You already have free net with the SERO plan. Can you just cancel the Blackberry data package after one month? I would love to sign up for the SERO plan if I could just get the BB Curve without being forced into buying a data plan too.

It's the way BB phones are provisioned. They work on RIM's servers for the data, and the providers, (Sprint, VZ, etc) have to pay RIM a monthly charge. The companies also take a bigger subsidy hit on those phones.

[quote name='thecurrybot5000']How come Sprint forces you get a Blackberry data package for $30/mo if you want to buy a Blackberry? You already have free net with the SERO plan. Can you just cancel the Blackberry data package after one month? I would love to sign up for the SERO plan if I could just get the BB Curve without being forced into buying a data plan too.[/quote]

Get a Q or Treo.

Blackberry is overrated.

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']The only problem with the advantage accounts is that each employee can only have 10 (used to be 20 but they recently tightened the policy) advantage club accounts. By the time family is accounted for, most people don't have any to spare. Also, the advantage club accounts are different in that the employee is liable for the account, unlike SERO. So if you don't pay, the employee has to. (another reason most reserve these for very close freinds and family that they trust to pay the bills... :))[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, he's always so nervous about me not paying the bill. But after the initial cost of the phone, as long as you don't talk all the time there's no real reason why you can't afford $15 a month.

[quote name='spinksjinx']Blackberry is overrated.[/quote]I have a Blackberry that my company pays for and it's great. No complaints at all.

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']or wait a month till the instinct comes out... :) man I want that phone.[/quote]Yeah, that thing is pretty sexy...any confirmation on pricing, though? I can't justify $500 for a cell phone.

[quote name='bmachine']I have a Blackberry that my company pays for and it's great. No complaints at all.

Yeah, that thing is pretty sexy...any confirmation on pricing, though? I can't justify $500 for a cell phone.[/quote]

Id learn to love it for free. :D

I remember at CES they said the Instinct would be under $300 im guessing $299.

I dont like touch screen phones, I have peeves with messing up a screen.

[quote name='thecurrybot5000']How come Sprint forces you get a Blackberry data package for $30/mo if you want to buy a Blackberry? You already have free net with the SERO plan. Can you just cancel the Blackberry data package after one month? I would love to sign up for the SERO plan if I could just get the BB Curve without being forced into buying a data plan too.[/QUOTE]

That Blackberry is the exact phone I wanted. My friend has one through Alltel, and it is a sexy little beast.

But I caved and opted for the Palm Centro instead. Hopefully they ship soon; I need to get everyone updated on my new phone number before I cancel my current phone on June 10th.

edit: Yay, Centro shipped today, and I've already got my new number! Now to see if I can port my university employee 15% discount from my current plan to my new SERO plan...

The Instinct looks sweet as hell. If I buy it though, I'm sure the screen would be covered in beer and wing sauce within a month. I like the Q too but the hump in the back of the phone makes it fit awkwardly into my pockets.

I think you can actually get the Blackberries without the data plan. First you pick the SERO plan, then add the BB phone. When the screen with the mandatory BB data pack loads, just hit "back" on your browser a couple times instead of continuing with the check out. If you manually check your cart afterwards, it should have the SERO plan and Blackberry in it without any additional BB data pack. It looks like you can then advance through the checkout without signing up for the data packs.

bread's done
Back