SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seththefallen']I didn't know there was a student discount. Can someone explain that to me? $20 a month is insane.[/quote]

SERO plan rules state that no corporate or student discounts can be applied. However a little persistance with ecare goes a long way. My university has a discount program with sprint for 20% off your bill. Instead of giving me 20% off a $30 bill ($6 x 24 mos = $144 in savings), they offered me $10 off for 13 months ($130 in savings).

First fill out http://sprint.p.delivery.net/m/p/nxt/ais/wdyw.asp?id12=NEXTEL_promo1_WhereDoYouWork?id9=SEM
Then check your school/corp email and fill out the next form.
The next day you should get an email saying your discount was ACCEPTED. However a few hours later you will get another email saying that your discount was DENIED b/c you are on the SERO plan. Then just email Ecare with a nice story about this discount is why you switched to sprint from X carrier in the first place. The next day I got an email giving me $10 off x 13 months. Your luck with ecare might vary, but they will give you some sort of deal with a little persistance.

So I got a Mogul right on ebay for like $150. Can I do sero choose one of the free phones. Then go to sprint and tell them to get service on my mogul?

Edit: I havea choice of Mogul/Touch/Centro. I know how the Centro is. How is the Mogul and Touch? Is it worth the upgrade.

[quote name='Dro']So I got a Mogul right on ebay for like $150. Can I do sero choose one of the free phones. Then go to sprint and tell them to get service on my mogul?

Edit: I havea choice of Mogul/Touch/Centro. I know how the Centro is. How is the Mogul and Touch? Is it worth the upgrade.[/quote]

Wow thats a great price. All the moguls on ebay are going for $250 right now, hope its a legit phone. It should work as long as the ESN is clean, and it was originally a sprint phone.

Alright, hopefully it comes out fine. BTW is Windows Mobile better than Palm Centro OS? I liked the Centro OS alot

This was posted in slickdeals.net:

So like I said earlier I used the [email protected] and they ended up giving me a 200 minute basic plan despite what my invoice says. So, I called and tried to get my plan upgraded to the SERO 500 minute plan and they told me they would not be able to do it as [email protected] is only used for viewing the SERO site and that I'd have to place a whole new order with them using a valid email and return my old stuff...

Suggestions? Thinking I'll just call sales. So I guess just avoid using the generic [email protected] ! Not sure what other email to use from that list as it really all seems somewhat shady.

Now my brother used that email address with no problem and this is the first I heard of it and besides this post I'm considering it uncomfirmed. But it might be wise just to use a real email address.

Maybe a stupid question here, but...

Can you get Sprint to change your phone number after you sign up for Sero? I don't really like the number they gave me. Doesn't really flow that well, lol.

::shakes head:: lol curious to the answer to this as well. I'm leaning towards no, but if they do i'm sure it'll cost you. Are you trying to get a number that spells something out?

I placed my order last night for the Moto q9c. Today I checked the status and it says it's backordered. When I look for that phone on the site, it doesn't even pull up anymore. I called, but they couldn't tell me anything more than what I had already read online - it's backordered.

Anyone have any clue how long it usually takes them to get a phone back in stock in this kind of situation?

Very strange. Maybe they are updating them all to WM 6.1. When you get it though pm me I have a couple of apps that really help the phone.

So I got my phone today, and I'm having problems browsing/anything to do with having to connect to the online for it. For instance:

I try to go on Sprint TV, and I get this:

"Error 75

System error. Sign in failed.
Please wait a moment and
try again. you may need to
go to [Settings/Power Vision]
and selet [Update Power Vision
Profile]. If this problem persists
you may need to contact Sprint.

Y'all got any ideas? I figure I should come here before "shudders" contacting Sprint customer service. A quick Googleing of "Error 75" brings up nothing but a list of Sprint phone errors with no details.

EDIT - Also, I've tried going to the Power Vision setting but.... I can't find it, lol.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm thinking about picking up SERO, as I spend about $25 a month with Virgin Mobile, and would love the unlimited texts. I've messed around a bit with some friend's LG Rumor's, and like the phone. I love the flip out QWERTY keyboard. And at $50, its a decent price.

I do have a a couple questions, if you guys don't mind answering, since it seems you guys know the phones a bit better.

How much better would the Centro by Palm be? I know it would have the Palm OS, rather than the LG one, but I do like the keyboard better in the Rumor.

The 8703e and the Samsung ACE, while looking nice, are a bit more than I want to spend, but would they be worth it?

Thanks for any help guys.

[quote name='bone_matrix']I'm thinking about picking up SERO, as I spend about $25 a month with Virgin Mobile, and would love the unlimited texts. I've messed around a bit with some friend's LG Rumor's, and like the phone. I love the flip out QWERTY keyboard. And at $50, its a decent price.

I do have a a couple questions, if you guys don't mind answering, since it seems you guys know the phones a bit better.

How much better would the Centro by Palm be? I know it would have the Palm OS, rather than the LG one, but I do like the keyboard better in the Rumor.

The 8703e and the Samsung ACE, while looking nice, are a bit more than I want to spend, but would they be worth it?

Thanks for any help guys.[/quote]

The LG Rumor is like Verizon's LG Env (they seem similiar with the rumor being abit inferior) I can tell you that the Rumor isn't even close to being in the same league as the Centro. YOu get so much more functionality with the centro. For instance, I was looking for a restraunts number, so I went online downloaded their .pdf menu, found what I wanted and clicked on their phone number they list on their website and the phone called the restraunt. Doubt you could do that with the LG. The Rumor is a phone, the Centro is a pocket pc.

I would suggest against getting a blackberry. Unless you know what your doing you have to pay an extra $30 for the extra BB service. Haven't heard much from the Ace, seems very similar to the q9c which seems very popular, and what I have.

Man so annoying, first time I tried to checkout I have no credit history so I get declined.
Second time I use my moms SS # since she has some credit history I get declined because Its being shipped to the same adress. So now I tried with my dads SS # hopefully he can fix it. He's rich =]

[quote name='bone_matrix']I'm thinking about picking up SERO, as I spend about $25 a month with Virgin Mobile, and would love the unlimited texts. I've messed around a bit with some friend's LG Rumor's, and like the phone. I love the flip out QWERTY keyboard. And at $50, its a decent price.

Thanks for any help guys.[/quote]

Just like you I was also using Virgin Mobile, mainly for texting and email the Wildcard was a pretty good phone. Now after a good 2 weeks of using the Centro, I do not regret my choice at all. As already stated the Rumor is great for a phone and also for texting, but with the Sero plan might as well get a phone that's able to maximize the plan's potential.

Probably the only negative, be it temporary, is the size of the keyboard. It's more cramped comapred to the LG Rumor and the Wildcard, but I've already grown accustomed to it.

[quote name='prot0type']Just like you I was also using Virgin Mobile, mainly for texting and email the Wildcard was a pretty good phone. Now after a good 2 weeks of using the Centro, I do not regret my choice at all. As already stated the Rumor is great for a phone and also for texting, but with the Sero plan might as well get a phone that's able to maximize the plan's potential.

Probably the only negative, be it temporary, is the size of the keyboard. It's more cramped comapred to the LG Rumor and the Wildcard, but I've already grown accustomed to it.[/quote]

Thanks man. I was leaning a bit more towards the Rumor, because it is cheaper, but with the touch screen and extra palm stuff I may end up with the Centro.

I talked briefly to a dude at the sprint booth at the mall and he said the rumor wasn't a good phone. I signed up for the SERO plan a couple days ago and chose the M520, he seemed to have liked that one.

THe Centro is one of CNET's top 5 recommended smartphones for Sprint, if that helps anybody. I didn't go with it cuz I didn't want a big phone to carry around, and don't plan on doing much internet surfing on my phone.

Check out www.a1wireless.com for some free phone deals. also incidently walmart.com has like every phone for free after 2yr contract, i just saw yesterday.

[quote name='Nuck3lz']I talked briefly to a dude at the sprint booth at the mall and he said the rumor wasn't a good phone. I signed up for the SERO plan a couple days ago and chose the M520, he seemed to have liked that one.

THe Centro is one of CNET's top 5 recommended smartphones for Sprint, if that helps anybody. I didn't go with it cuz I didn't want a big phone to carry around, and don't plan on doing much internet surfing on my phone.

Check out www.a1wireless.com for some free phone deals. also incidently walmart.com has like every phone for free after 2yr contract, i just saw yesterday.[/quote]

Nuck3lz, I don't know if your suggesting to get a phone else where, but in order to take advantage of the Sero program you have to order a phone from the website. And the M520 doesn't look that much smaller then then Centro.

[quote name='bone_matrix']Thanks man. I was leaning a bit more towards the Rumor, because it is cheaper, but with the touch screen and extra palm stuff I may end up with the Centro.[/quote]

Worst comes to worst, you got 30 days. If you don't like it send it back. Just give it some time first, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On another note, got my referral rewards card in the mail today. Pretty good turn around time since it was submitted 2 weeks ago, now i have some spending money for the weekend.

[quote name='prot0type']Worst comes to worst, you got 30 days. If you don't like it send it back. Just give it some time first, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On another note, got my referral rewards card in the mail today. Pretty good turn around time since it was submitted 2 weeks ago, now i have some spending money for the weekend.[/quote]

Damn you!. How'd you get yours, before I got mine. Didn't you use me as a referral?

/shrugs

It was in the mailbox. The referral status page said it was sent out 3 days ago. And yes, you were one of the ones approved, some of the other numbers though as I said in my post a page ago for some reason didn"t get approved or are in the process.

[quote name='prot0type']/shrugs

It was in the mailbox. The referral status page said it was sent out 3 days ago. And yes, you were one of the ones approved, some of the other numbers though as I said in my post a page ago for some reason didn"t get approved or are in the process.[/quote]

Ah just realized probably sent to my parents house, as thats where I told them I'm from (mass. has one of the lowest taxes on cell phon bills,). I'm always a cheapass!

edit: yup at my parents house.

Hmmm, after entering my zip code it tells me "this private online program is not available in this market for Sprint products." Is there any way around this?

[quote name='homeland']do you have another address? A relatives?[/quote]

My parents' house a few towns away, but their zip code doesn't work either. Booo. :cry:

[quote name='evilmregg']My parents' house a few towns away, but their zip code doesn't work either. Booo. :cry:[/quote]

Out of curiousity, where abouts are you. Never heard it not being available. Maybe they don't have coverage in your area.

[quote name='homeland']Nuck3lz, I don't know if your suggesting to get a phone else where, but in order to take advantage of the Sero program you have to order a phone from the website. And the M520 doesn't look that much smaller then then Centro.[/quote]

no no i wasn't suggesting that, just pointing out the surprising fact that walmart.com has cell phones and plans. I got my M520 through the SERO website today and I love it! It took 3 days. I had no idea you could download so many different apps for a cell phone. the sprint TV thing is pretty lame unless you pay for the extra channels, but the internet connection is FAST>>>

Total charges each month will be $34. I called and couldn't get them to give me a $50 credit. If anybody wants to do a referral bonus with me please send me a PM with your sprint number and instructions on what to do.

They seem to have just added some new phones. I'm about to get the Instinct. It looks stylish.

Edit: Theyre only offering it with the $100 per month plan. That shot me down :(.

[quote name='homeland']Out of curiousity, where abouts are you. Never heard it not being available. Maybe they don't have coverage in your area.[/quote]

Michigan, in the Grand Rapids area. I know lots of people with Sprint cell phone service in the area, so coverage isn't the issue.

just did a quick google search and came up with this forum post:

I just got off the phone with the SERO line (which apparently they have). The only plan available for my area is one with 1000 minutes + extras (not the $30) a month. Area code 49504.

However, the sales rep asked me where I'd be using the plan. I notice on their website that Detroit has the plan I want. Would it be possible to play the system and say I'd use it in Detroit to get the right plan but have it be shipped to my house?

Frustrated :mad:

Grand Rapids, Mi is an affiliate market for Sprint. The SERO plan is only available to those in "corporate" markets. I am surprised they even had one plan available.

I guess that explains it. Not sure what affiliate market means though.

[quote name='homeland']just did a quick google search and came up with this forum post:

I just got off the phone with the SERO line (which apparently they have). The only plan available for my area is one with 1000 minutes + extras (not the $30) a month. Area code 49504.

However, the sales rep asked me where I'd be using the plan. I notice on their website that Detroit has the plan I want. Would it be possible to play the system and say I'd use it in Detroit to get the right plan but have it be shipped to my house?

Frustrated :mad:

Grand Rapids, Mi is an affiliate market for Sprint. The SERO plan is only available to those in "corporate" markets. I am surprised they even had one plan available.

I guess that explains it. Not sure what affiliate market means though.[/quote]

Huh. Well thanks for the info. Sucks that I won't be able to get the SERO plan unless I make some friends in Detroit, but I guess you can't win them all.

So, if you were to get a BlackBerry phone, what additional fees would you be paying to BlackBerry on top of the Sprint plan? Is there any way to get around paying those extra fees?

normally its an extra $30 for BB, data plan which I really don't know what it covers besides work email. But, you don't have to get the $30 extra charge but, u'd have to do some extra leg work to get internet working.

Anyone has any experience with the new Samsung Instinc, cause tomorrow I will go to my local store to change my moto q, for a htc mogul 6800, but the instinc looks slick, although I read some reviews, and the phone has a propietary operating system, it is not a windows mobile phone, nor a palm os, and that can be a problem nowadays.....thanks.

Man, I really wanted the new iPhone, but since AT&T and Apple seem to be keen on *raising* their monthly charges for it, I'll probably go with a SERO plan. Looks like the Centro will probably get me the most bang for my buck.

[quote name='homeland']The Instinct isn't available on the #30 sero plan. You would need to pay for the $99 everything plan .[/QUOTE]

OK, but I am curious to know how the instinct compares to the mogul 6800, read a review and it seems the phone is not at all , that far ahead of the 6800, and the OS is not neither WM 6, or Palm OS, and that could be a problem, in itself.

All my orders keep getting canceled because they think I'm using a fake social security # they tell me to go instore to confirm it. Problem is I can't get Sero in store. Anyone want to help me out =/

bread's done
Back