Setting SNES up to HDTV?

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey guys,

I recently decided to create myself a little game room. The room I'm using is small and I didn't have a ton of space, but I planned to put my SNES in there, I had to purchase a new LED tv to put in the media center and when I put my SNES up it would not work. I assumed it was just because the TV was newer, based on some sites that I was reading, it wouldn't be compatible.

Today I decided to move my SNES back to my LCD tv that I had it on but I'm having the same issue. So, now I'm not sure if I am setting it up wrong and forgot that I had to do something different or I'm afraid it may be dead. I never used my SNES that much as a kid, it was treated very well and now is treated even better and I don't use it as much as I even used to. So it really shouldn't be dead, but I know with age it can happen.

So, basically I'm trying to set up my SNES, second model, to a 2008 (I believe) Sony LCD TV using the RCA cables. I plugged the cables into the corresponding colors and changed the input on the TV, when I turn on the SNES all I get are gray lines on the screen.

Hopefully I'm just have a brain lapse at the moment and I'm forgetting a simple and crucial step, I really don't want SNES to be dead and it gave no warning signs at all when I played it a few weeks ago.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

EDIT!!!

I just kept playing with it tonight, making sure connections were tight, etc. After a while I got an image, but it was flashing, now I'm getting an image with lines going through, horizontal lines that are scrolling down, and the sound is making some funny noises as well. So I'm assuming this is a problem with the system, possibly one of the cables?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried messing around with the other settings on the TV? One guide says to change the input method to Aux or AV.

I wouldn't know since I still use my trusty CRT.

@detectiveconan16, I have not, I have just been putting it on video one... I don't remember having to do anything with it, but I will try. I, unfortunately, don't have and CRT anymore, got rid of all of them a while back cause they were too big, love my HDTVs but I would like to get a CRT for my retro games.

@mtxbass1, I don't remember having issues with it before either that is why I'm worried it isn't working anymore, but I'm hopeful I'm just forgetting something I need to do. I'm using the standard red, yellow and white cables in the corresponding colors on the back of the TV with the input on Video 1 (which is the space it is in) .

Thanks for the replies!

Go pick up a sony PVM tv/monitor. One of the best crt's you can get. They can be had for around $200, best to try craigslist because shipping is 150 or 200 on something that heavy. They do RGB through a db25. So you can make a db25 to scart and just buy scart cables for your systems. Old games look fucking NICE on them.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']@detectiveconan16, I have not, I have just been putting it on video one... I don't remember having to do anything with it, but I will try. I, unfortunately, don't have and CRT anymore, got rid of all of them a while back cause they were too big, love my HDTVs but I would like to get a CRT for my retro games.

@mtxbass1, I don't remember having issues with it before either that is why I'm worried it isn't working anymore, but I'm hopeful I'm just forgetting something I need to do. I'm using the standard red, yellow and white cables in the corresponding colors on the back of the TV with the input on Video 1 (which is the space it is in) .

Thanks for the replies![/QUOTE]

Do you have another TV you can try it on to at least narrow down if it's your TV or the SNES that is causing the issue?

Flashing or lines is surely due to the TV not supporting the "240p" signal the Super NES outputs. This is more common than you would hope.

Even if you do get the SNES working on your HDTV it is going to look like shit. Today's televisions were created with the thinking that noone would want to reproduce the image quality of yesteryear. So, you have two choices, of which I have done both. You can buy a XRGB and run your old school systems through a scart converter that greatly improves the image quality on HDTVs or you can buy an old CRT and enjoy the games as they were meant to be played. I went the CRT route as my new house allows for the room. If you have the room I would suggest the same as the XRGB can be more costly than a gorgeous CRT and will never reproduce the same image quality. Just my two cents.

[quote name='Ash Burton']Even if you do get the SNES working on your HDTV it is going to look like shit. Today's televisions were created with the thinking that noone would want to reproduce the image quality of yesteryear. So, you have two choices, of which I have done both. You can buy a XRGB and run your old school systems through a scart converter that greatly improves the image quality on HDTVs or you can buy an old CRT and enjoy the games as they were meant to be played. I went the CRT route as my new house allows for the room. If you have the room I would suggest the same as the XRGB can be more costly than a gorgeous CRT and will never reproduce the same image quality. Just my two cents.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I have my SNES hooked up via composite to my 32" LG flatscreen and it looks just as good as it did when I had it hooked up to a CRT. I play it near daily and it's fine.

Like I said just my two cents. My wife can't tell the difference between driving my GTI and her Jetta so it all depends how much detail matters I suppose.

bread's done
Back