Setting up Xbox Live in a hotel room?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
My friend just bought an Xbox and is going to be living in a hotel for a few weeks.
He tried to get on Xbox live but is unable to connect...any ideas?

My guess is:
1) I'm not giving you enough information.
2) There is nothing he can do anyway.

Unless that hotel room has an ethernet port with no security, option 2 is probably correct.

But I'm not an expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I stayed at some inn in Deleware, and was able to connect. Had his xbox live connection previously been setup? Or is this the first time he is trying?

[quote name='ryanbph']I stayed at some inn in Deleware, and was able to connect. Had his xbox live connection previously been setup? Or is this the first time he is trying?[/QUOTE]this is his first time setting up an account.

If he has a computer with Windows he can connect to the LAN and go into command prompt and type "ipconfig/all" this will supply him with all the required information in most cases. He then will use the above information to manually configure his XBL settings on the XBL Dashboard under Network Settings. Then he will be able to switch the connection freely. However the hotel may change their network settings periodically so this may become a bi-weekly ordeal. This probably sounds like a lot of work but it truely takes minimal time.

I am said friend, and I don't have a laptop to connect. But I hear STSN has good customer support for Live, so I'll see if I can get the net config info from them. If anyone has had experience hooking up thru STSN, let me know! Thanks peeps.

Does your friend have a laptop with him, as every time I've ever done this you have to hook up a computer first to activate your in room port or wireless bridge. The main two things he can try if he does have a computer are to hook up the computer and look up his network setting such as ip, gateway, dns, and whatver else is assigned by the hotel. He can then manually enter all of that info into his Xbox and sometimes that is all it takes.

One time all I had to do was set up the connection with my computer and then use the computers MAC address in the Xbox with all other settings to auto detect. Without a computer to get his connection going, I don't think there is much he can do. Hope this helps.

I've used Xbox Live at Best Western, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, and I think a couple of others. The only hotel I've been shot down in was a Holiday Inn Express, but there network was really funny the week I tried to connect.

You should be able to log in on it through DHCP. When I moved I set up my router, plugged in my Xbox and it set everything up for me. I set nothing. I would imagine hotels are configured the same way.

If not have him go down to the front desk and get the settings, they're usually on a card or something they'll give you. If it's a NICE hotel they may have a business center and the staff there will get you hooked up. Sheraton's are especially good at helping set up in room broadband.

It could be that the hotel is blocking traffic on all ports except standard ports (80 for web, 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP, etc). I believe the required ports for Live are 88 and 3074, which are certainly non-standard.

I called STSN customer support. They had to reset my account and it connected fine after. They were very helpful, FYI. Thanks guys!

bread's done
Back