SFII Difficulty

s3v3n777

CAGiversary!
Is it just me or is SFII insanely hard compared to other Capcom fighters?

I'm a huge fan of 2D fighters...and I'm having such a hard time with this game , it's nuts. Granted, I am used to playing all my 2D games with a PS2 controller or an arcade stick...but I should be able to get further than I am getting. Is this just my inexperience with the xbox controller or is anyone else having this issue?

I completely agree with you on the difficulty.
I used to burn through the SNES version.
Last night I made about 20 attempts to get past Ryu before giving up.
Ryu was only 1/2 through. I can't imagine how tough M. Bison's going to be.

Actually he's not that hard...Ryu was the hardest...but geez....some of the achievements are going to be insane to get with this difficulty.

I used to be able to beat the game on the SNES with no problems at all. Now I struggle to beat several characters. Either my gaming skill has gone down hill at an alarming rate or Capcom cranked up the difficulty way too much.

I think some of the blame has to fall on the shitty d-pad as well. When you can't pull of basic moves such as low blocking and a simple fireball with decent frequency the game's difficulty isn't the only thing to blame.

i actually started using the analog stick... over the dpad... i'm actually better with the analog.

The arcade was harder then then snes version.. but I don't remember it being as hard as the xboxlive version.

The CPU here may be cheap, but with enough persistance, you can exploit it and win. The all time cheapest Arcade Game award will forver and always go to Mortal Kombat 2, with the CPU that could read your button presses and used it to counter every move you do. I still contest that Kintaro is unbeatable in that game without cheesing out with Kitana Fan Lift.

[quote name='spmahn']The CPU here may be cheap, but with enough persistance, you can exploit it and win. The all time cheapest Arcade Game award will forver and always go to Mortal Kombat 2, with the CPU that could read your button presses and used it to counter every move you do. I still contest that Kintaro is unbeatable in that game without cheesing out with Kitana Fan Lift.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember how easy it was to know the CPU was watching what you were doing. 100% of the time if I was using Scorpion, I'd do his spear attack and it would hit at least 2 times that round. After that, every single one is blocked.

Actually, SF2 has always been this hard. Once you learn the cheap AI it gets alot easier. I use the analog stick instead of the dpad and was able to beat the game on 7 stars! :D

I still can't get the timing right to kick ass online though. :(

[quote name='spmahn']The CPU here may be cheap, but with enough persistance, you can exploit it and win. The all time cheapest Arcade Game award will forver and always go to Mortal Kombat 2, with the CPU that could read your button presses and used it to counter every move you do. I still contest that Kintaro is unbeatable in that game without cheesing out with Kitana Fan Lift.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I must've been really good at MK2 then because I didn't find it hard at all. I even beat it with all the characters in the arcade.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Yeah the computer can do shit like Guile's flash kick while walking backwards. F'n Annoying.[/QUOTE]

Oh man.. fighting him pissed me off.... he can pull of that flashkick from anywhere.. and its impossible to jump kick him... even after a sonic boom...no matter how quick you are... that asshole has the flashkick ready.

Well- think of it this way- by your not getting this acheivment- another person who does feels better about themselves.

That being said- SFII on the SNES was more about- be a monkey and do this one thing that works on Bison rather than use a variety of techniques.

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']Oh man.. fighting him pissed me off.... he can pull of that flashkick from anywhere.. and its impossible to jump kick him... even after a sonic boom...no matter how quick you are... that asshole has the flashkick ready.[/QUOTE]

I just gave up after losing to him like 5 times. I've always hated that motherfucker.

I'd rather have it like this. The SNES version is too easy.

I also have no problems with the D-pad. Would I RATHER have something else like a Saturn-style D-pad? Sure. Hell yes. But I can make due with what's on there now.

I agree MK2 is cheap as hell, but 3 seems worse. If you think the SFII difficulty backlash is bad...if UMK3 comes out and features the patented "Midway cheapness," people are going to flip out.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'd rather have it like this. The SNES version is too easy.

I also have no problems with the D-pad. Would I RATHER have something else like a Saturn-style D-pad? Sure. Hell yes. But I can make due with what's on there now.

I agree MK2 is cheap as hell, but 3 seems worse. If you think the SFII difficulty backlash is bad...if UMK3 comes out and features the patented "Midway cheapness," people are going to flip out.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this guy, I think UMK3 literally has the most broken AI ever, literally from what I've seen the only way to beat it is use exploits (Smoke's jump back, kick, and then when they projectile do his FF+LK uppercut being the easiest).

for some reason the difficulty seemed the same as the snes for me. a few characters can be super cheap bastards though (guile), so those 2 perfect achievements will be tough.

I completely agree, I'd need Kitana to get past Kintaro, then I could bean Shao Kahn with anyone.

I'm glad I hadnt lost my touch at the 2d fighters then. I was getting worried coz I thought I started sucking it up.

I think the difficulty is unnecessarily hard. I wouldn't mind it if 5-6-7 stars was nail-bitingingly hard, but at 0 stars, the game should be a breeze for most everyone.

[quote name='OGHowie']Actually, SF2 has always been this hard. Once you learn the cheap AI it gets alot easier. I use the analog stick instead of the dpad and was able to beat the game on 7 stars! :D

I still can't get the timing right to kick ass online though. :([/quote]

holy crap. I checked your gamercard in disbelief! Maybe I'll try and get used to the analog stick!!

[quote name='dubbfoolio']holy crap. I checked your gamercard in disbelief! Maybe I'll try and get used to the analog stick!![/QUOTE]

Haha, let me know if you need some advice with certain characters. I've only beat the game with Ryu so far, but the general tactics should work with most characters.

only way to beat the AI is to cheap out yourself. the game was built to steal quarters, so you need to take advantage of it.

there are a million set ups to get free damage and throws off the cpu. it also eats sweeps and specials a lot.

[quote name='OGHowie']Haha, let me know if you need some advice with certain characters. I've only beat the game with Ryu so far, but the general tactics should work with most characters.[/QUOTE]

You know, you should write a helpful guide for your fellow CAGers. Many people would greatly appreciate your advice. I know I would a whole heck of a lot.

Well, I'm not very good at Street Fighter (average at best), and I was able to beat it on 7 stars in about an hour. I honestly can't tell the difference between default and 7 stars.

If you aren't very good like me, just get good at Bison's flying across the screen move. You should be able to beat most of the characters just repeating that move over and over. Some characters (like Balrog) are a little tougher to beat with this strategy as they are constantly too close to you. With Balrog just hold low block and then anytime he tries to uppercut you, fierce punch him in the stomach. You won't win everytime, but it's basically a toss up on whether he'll jump up and hit you more times than you hit him in the stomach.

I've played with several CAGs online and they'll attest that I'm not that good, so if I can do this with minimal effort, most people should be able to do this. The more difficult achievement to get is going to be to win the championship without losing a match. I don't think I'll ever get that one as Zangief & Balrog hate me.

Here is another small tip. It could come in handy if you are playing Dhalsim late in the game.

Use Vega or Bison, and hold down and push L or R. He actually wont block this move! You could also use this if you'd like to get a perfect match on default settings.

Another way to get the perfect match on default settings, is to use Honda, and wait till you face another Honda. Then just tap X and hold forward the whole time. I've done this like 3 times and never got hit.

I never remeber the SNES version being this hard. Default is like 7 Stars on the SNES version. The achievements are going tobe tough but I've brought this for the online play not the single player however otherwise I would have just brought it for my SNES.

Granted I haven't spent a lot of time getting use to the controls (1-2 hours) I use to own this game in the arcade and on snes. Knowing what I used to be able to do with a good controller and what I can accomplish now are 2 totally different things. I really think the Live options on this need help. I tried logging on with my brother through invites and it would not work either way.

I beat the game over the weekend without losing a match and lost only once at the end to Bison that bastard! I tried to do 7 stars but it was late and I decided to go to bed.

Each character has a pattern and can be beaten very easliy if you use this to your advantage.

And 7 Stars is much more difficult compared to default. After you beat the first two fighters the cpu starts to make more damage than you do and can beat you in a few hits.

I used to dominate the older console versions of SFII, but I agree it does seem to be harder than past versions. I don't think my skills fell off that much over the years. It took me almost 30 matches to finish it the first time, though I did finish it with Zangief so I could see the greatest ending of all time!

[quote name='Apossum']only way to beat the AI is to cheap out yourself. the game was built to steal quarters, so you need to take advantage of it.

there are a million set ups to get free damage and throws off the cpu. it also eats sweeps and specials a lot.[/QUOTE]

The unfortunate thing is that the single player mode isn't very good for practicing since the CPU almost requires you to use a specific strategy to win rather than just getting good practice in with a variety of moves...

[quote name='Chacrana']The unfortunate thing is that the single player mode isn't very good for practicing since the CPU almost requires you to use a specific strategy to win rather than just getting good practice in with a variety of moves...[/quote]

Very true. But I am excellent at holding back and then hitting forward and punch. :)

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Man. I'm glad to hear that alot of other people are having trouble with the arcade mode. Even on 0 stars it's giving me trouble.[/QUOTE]

Me 2! i was getting worried i had lost all my skills. man it's tuff now! :)

[quote name='darkrage']I gotta just say, the fucking elephants on the India level are making me want to shoot myself.[/QUOTE] oh i know. i don't remember them going that crazy. my head almost exploded!

We need to start a SFII support group. A group for those of us who were once kings and now suck thanks to hyper fighting. It's stupid because I hate using a cheat to beat characters. I like the "newer" Capcom fighting games because they had a little more tactic to them. I loved the Capcom vs. SNK series because SNK forced you to use different moves coz for the most part their characters kicked ass. Same can be said for SFIII, which I still play on the anniversary edition for the PS2. Oh well...hopefully Capcom hears my cries and gives me a Capcom vs. SNK game.

man i know i suck ballz in sf but the game is hard as ballz

i can only make it pass my first 4 opponents maybe and then i get stuck..default diff

[quote name='spmahn']The CPU here may be cheap, but with enough persistance, you can exploit it and win. The all time cheapest Arcade Game award will forver and always go to Mortal Kombat 2, with the CPU that could read your button presses and used it to counter every move you do. I still contest that Kintaro is unbeatable in that game without cheesing out with Kitana Fan Lift.[/quote]

mk2 still remains my favorite arcade game.. i hated how the cpu would dodge every fucking projectiles... hitting the cpu with a spear or freeze was fuckin impossible unless very close

I wont say how many rounds took me to beat the game but I will say took me a little more then 2 hours . I have never had so much trouble in a street fighter game. Between the horrible controller and the level of difficultiy i wanted to kill.

meh, just play online battles :) a lot more fun... I'm freaking hooked.

I also agree with UMK3. That game has it's own patented cheapness ai. You could beat the first one or two characters with no problems but by the third one, it infuses your opponent with GODLIKE AI where it BLOCKS everything or causes the most MINIMAL damage that the move can give. And after you DO hit your opponent he RUNS at you and combos you with some of the cheapest "WTF YOU CAN"T DO THAT!" This side of an SNK game.

I also spent like twenty bucks just to beat Mortal Kombat 2 at the arcade. Kintaro probably took 15 of those dollars.

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']Oh man.. fighting him pissed me off.... he can pull of that flashkick from anywhere.. and its impossible to jump kick him... even after a sonic boom...no matter how quick you are... that asshole has the flashkick ready.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHHAHAHA... I don't even have an Xbox but, man.. you've said it. That brings back so many childhood frustrations.

bread's done
Back