ShadowRun for Genesis

Senaz28

CAGiversary!
I just bought this game for my best friend for X-mas and got to watching him play and I just want to ask did the movie The Matrix get their ideas for the movie based on this game? Some rather ineresting coincedences...

Actually, yes. The Matrix was loosely based on ideas from the Shadowrun pen and paper RPG, but different enough that they didn't have to pay any money. They also apparently ripped off this other woman, who submitted a script to them in the 80s, she won big in court recently.

I just bought the game myself and its excellent, one of my favorite games ever. Really need to track down the box and manual though.

She actually... didn't win big in court or anything. That press release was only about the judge agreeing to let the case go forward, but it wasn't really clear. I don't have the link with me, but man, she's one crazy lady.

Yeah, it was poorly reported, she hasn't won damages. The court just ruled that she's not a complete quack and that theres enough evidence to go foreward with the suit. Theres a lot of misinformation about it going around.

Theres some more accurate information here:
http://davidpoland.typepad.com/thehotblog/2004/12/more_on_termina.html

They stole a lot of different ideas for the Matrix though, not that its illegal, but its not as original as people think. Happens a lot with movies.

I sold off a lot of my SNES stuff (2/3 of it) . . . needed money 9 years ago.

But I kept Shadowrun . . . box and instructions. This was an excellent RPG . . .

The Matrix and Shadowrun share a common connection to the whole "cyberpunk" genre . . . William Gibson's Necromancer (1982) is often seen as a launching point (also Blade Runner). To me, the nifty thing was the idea that the future might not be some shiny wonderful utopia but really more like 1984 . . . where technology would be used to control people rather than free them.

this site provides some context:

http://www.well.com/conf/mirrorshades/cpunk.html

"Over time `cyberpunk' referred less to a sci-fi subgenre, and more to a movement that was the beatnik underside of the evolving digital culture, encompassing the countercultural fascinations of the 90s -- the computer underground, rave/house culture, zine culture, designer psychedelics, goth morbidity, etc."

[quote name='Strell']I thought Shadowrun on the SNES was brilliant.

Never got around to playing the Genesis version.[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. The Genesis game has traditional turn-based battles, I hear, as opposed to the real-time isometric combat on the SNES one.

Genesis battles were real time. I only played a little bit of the SNES one. THey were similar but I think the maps and some other things were a little different.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll buy Shadowrun as soon as possible for the Genesis...[/quote]

Expect to pay a little more than the average Genesis cart. Cheapest I could find it for was $26.00 and had it not been a X-mas present I wouldn't have paid it.

Just did a little ebay search and finding one complete (box/instructions) may prove to be very difficult.

-Brian P

shadowrun is awesome. And i'm pretty sure its not a ripped off matrix. First of all because it's based ina genre known as cyberpunk. Matrix isnt even close. Cyberpunk is a a genre of its own. Just because a movie has futuristic stuff it doesnt mean its related to other futurist stuff as well. I also beileve there was a card game for this and maybe a movie based on shadowrun.

[quote name='PenguinMaster'][quote name='Danro']Yes, yes it is.

Whatever happened to FASA Studios anyways?[/quote]

They apparantly make Mechwarrior games.
http://games.ign.com/objects/026/026421.html

They are featured on the Mechassault box, and owned by Microsoft.[/quote]

I just beat Halo 2 last night, and in the credits they list FASA Studios under SPECIAL THANKS.

FASA is currently out of business for one reason or another, shadowrun is being produced by one company. Their other games are produced by other companies, the names of which I don't remember. As far as I know, the genisis game and the SNES game are identical. I played both of them, didn't notice any differences. Also, if anyone is playing the game, thinking it's wonderful, and deciding to play the pen and paper RPG, it's significantly different. It's still great, but don't base your opinions off of the SNES/genisis game.

Also, the wachowski brothers drew from many sources, including some crazy lady, FASA, and Plato, the philosopher.

bread's done
Back