Shadows of Mordor Official discussion thread

TwistedShade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I figured I'd make a thread for this amazing game seeing as how I couldn't find one after searching.

Anyone playing this currently? I digitally pre-ordered it and have been playing it all night.

Game is absolutely amazing and is one of those games you can't put down once you get into it. It's full of things to do and I keep getting sidetracked from the main missions, not to mention the world is fun to travel.

Combat is excellent and feels a lot like the Batman series. The whole movement and climbing works really well and I honestly thing it works better than Assassin's Creed which is a shame since the AC series has had plenty of time to master the movement system.

Highly recommend the game it's such a surprise and is definitely a contender on my Game of the Year list.

Onedrive video quality doesn't do the game justice at all but here are some videos I made. The game looks fantastic on the Xbox One and any concerns I had from all the prelaunch silence are gone.

(Killing a group of enemies here, super impressed with the amount of people on screen at one time)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6D4026AC8D7FA1DB!13818&authkey=!AEKyYbU8rNpAyNk&ithint=video%2cmp4

(Stealth killing a group, the AI could be a little more aware of their environment)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6D4026AC8D7FA1DB!13817&authkey=!AD3IrH19CF5bmCo&ithint=video%2cmp4

I wish the controls were a little tighter if that makes sense. Feels just loose enough to bother me. Maybe that's the 30fps lock?

Definitely a top 3 game of this year so far. The game is beautiful, feels good, and just so much to do. Gonna be playing this nonstop with a little Madden and Destiny in between until Tuesday. Was well worth the $41. 

Damn I turned off combat indicators and hints and now the game is a lot harder. Instead of just blinding rushing into groups I find myself running anytime I get overwhelmed and I've died at least 3 times so far.

Also I hate when a Captain you tried to kill but he retreated shows up and mentions that he'll chase you across the land if he has to...I mean you ran from me to begin with but you want to follow me to the ends of the earth.

My one complaint was that early on, if I seemed to be holding my own in a large fight against a Captain, two or more Captains would invariably show up.  If you got in trouble and downed to a knee, the center dot for your Last Stand (?) ability would shrink incredibly small making it difficult to execute if you'd already done it once or twice.  

Dying often does increase your power, but at the expense of elevating one or two Captains to ridiculous heights of power, especially if it's a low level Uruk who manages to land the killing blow because it'll engage in a duel with an existing Captain (in my game it's a bowman called the Surgeon) who will kill it and gain power that way as well, essentially just transferring +1 power from the dead grunt. 

That said, the combat is so much fun.  It was easy to pick up having played the Batman games.  The animations are smooth and fairly varied so it doesn't get boring.  I'm just glad they didn't put in a stamina bar because running away and climbing up cliff faces wouldn't save you when their sheer numbers turn suddenly overwhelming.

Bought this game today.

While I disliked the Batman games I strangely love this. Idk what it is, I think it's easier to block than Batman, but either way this game is a surprise. I love how brutal it is because your never safe from meeting a captain and having him mess you up.

It's not on my GOTY list yet but it's really damn good.

Hell of a game. Going to be in my top 5 for sure this year. Somewhat hesitantly dumped Destiny for this but have zero regrets. This'll hold me over until MC Collection hits.

I usually don't get into this style of game but it's good enough that it won me over. If not my favorite game of the year, it's at least the biggest surprise of the year for me.

Bought this game today.

While I disliked the Batman games I strangely love this. Idk what it is, I think it's easier to block than Batman, but either way this game is a surprise. I love how brutal it is because your never safe from meeting a captain and having him mess you up.

It's not on my GOTY list yet but it's really damn good.
Gonna need to update that user pic in a few weeks dude :whee:

Beat the game last night.

Besides the meh story and the fact that I became so overpowered about halfway through the game that I almost never died, it was a good time. Would defiantly recommend for $30-40 because it is pretty lengthy (took me 22.5 hours to beat). I just wish they had a better story like the Arkham games so I did not feel like I was just playing the game to finish it because I was so far in.

One of the games I'm looking forward to picking up on BF. WoM seems to be very positive. Great to hear you guys enjoying it.

bread's done
Back