Share your fleamarket language that you use to negotiate.

Paco

CAGiversary!
I'm a veteran of many fleamarkets and yard sales. Everyone develops their own techniques and some have been posted by CheapyD I believe. However, I'd like to have some more hands on and personal stories and or skills that people have used in person. Some of my personal favorites are

"Five dollars is all my mom allows me to spend" Used mainly on women. Or Mexican men. Took the line from Full Metal Jacket and adapted it to a more fleamarket style to get discounts from people.

My trick is always to ask the person if they have "X" to go along with this. It can be anything plausible that looks like it should be included. Works best with systems, but also with games, to convey to the seller that the item is incomplete and get them ready to expect less money.

The other big tactic is to ask about something you're not interested in first.

Finally, the best strategy sometimes is to just walk away...

Along those lines of walk away...I usually ask how much an item is and if the price is a bit high or so, I kind of wince or looked pained somehow. I offer them x amount and either they take it or I start to walk away. If they are want to be rid of their stock, usually they bite. I usually offer half or a little above or below it. If the price on the item is darn good anyways, I just give them my money right away.

I also usually avoid the people who have the big tents up, with all their stuff (usually games) nicely organized. It's all overpriced anyways and they won't bargain down.

If you keep running into the same seller and you get good deals from them, establish a nice working relationship. They'll probably be inclined to hold stuff on the side for you (I get a lot of good deals on Lego this way).

A general tip but I hear it's not a bad idea to get there in the last few hours, you're more likely to get some deals. Of course all the good stuff might be gone but it's worth a shot. I never do it because the best day for the Flea Market (at least here in Denver) is Sunday and I work in the evening then.

Develop a relationship with a single vendor, you will get better deals in the long run and if you bring them good working stuff if you are trading they might be willing to pay more for your stuff.

If you are trading make a good presentation with your items, make sure your items are clean and know your item so you can explain it to the dealer. These guys deal with dirty, filthy stuff all day so if you bring them something that is in good clean condition they will be more impressed with your stuff. It doesn't take a lot of effort to clean things up a bit either.

I agree with going in the last couple hours, vendors are probably more likely to want to get rid of their stuff then however here most of the vendors are permanent so you can't really do that as they will just set up shop and sell the next week.

99% of the things at the fleamarket here are overpriced, its a world where amazon and the online world does not exist. Most things cost more than they do on amazon.com. However I turn that to my advantage by bringing my stuff to trade in, and the vendors pay me in cash and I get roughly the same prices I would get when selling on ebay, just without the hassle. I also don't have to deal with buyer complaints and refunds when a buyer complains.

I haven't stepped into a flea market/swap meet in a long time, from what I do remember I never find anything worth it around here. ='( Maybe I need to scope out a few different locations and try my luck then!

A good one is to either try to look REALLY interested (it sounds like it doesn't work but hear me out).

For example, if you think a price is "reasonable" but not necessarily a deal, ask them how much, and examine it for a while, then put it down and start backing away. They'll see you really want it, and if it's still there they'll want to dump it on you, which is when you have them lower the price.

My flea market dissappeared a good 10 years ago, sadly. Honestly, I normally just played dumb- "oh hey, how much for this sega stuff?" when I found a complete Sonic CD and a boxed memory cart (5 bucks each). I usually didn't do much, though... the best game booth that was there every week marked stuff down without me asking. I bought a Sega Genesis/CD setup and hold them to keep the controllers and the power cord for the CD, since I was replacing a broken one. They knocked the price down from $40 to $20. I also got half off a Secret of Mana cart becuase it was 'dirty'. They were always really nice. (I wonder if being a 17/18 year old with D cups at the time contributed to that...)

[quote name='soonersfan60']My trick is always to ask the person if they have "X" to go along with this. It can be anything plausible that looks like it should be included. Works best with systems, but also with games, to convey to the seller that the item is incomplete and get them ready to expect less money.[/QUOTE]

That's an amazing tactic. I've never seen anyone do that before, but I can imagine this working almost every time, whether I'm the seller or the buyer. Incomplete is never worth as much.

OP: Buy Season 1 of Pawn Stars from Target for $5. It'll open your eyes to negotiating in ways you may have never seen. Season 2 is even better, and they show the cash-in-hand method executed perfectly in the KISS pinball machine episode.

#1 thing to NOT do at a garage sale: negotiate down to a half price of $5, then say "Do you have change for $100?" True story happened at a garage sale that I was at, they politely told her to GTFO and break it at a gas station.

Watch the Pawn Stars with the Lincoln Roadster. And even better than Pawn Stars is American Pickers, those guys can talk hoarders into selling them their stuff.

Yeah I use that technique all the time, its basically just pointing out the flaws. You can even do this on disc games, just tell them it has scratches and it might not play, works almost every time for a discount. The games usually play.

Basically look for any flaws in the items, scratches, missing parts, etc It does work almost every time. Cash in fist hasn't been working that well for me since most sellers here are dead set on a price and the only way to sway them is to point out the flaws. Most yard sale sellers haven't used their electronics items in years and honestly, they don't know if they work, some may not even know if the items are missing parts until you point it out.

If anything else you could just tell them I can't see it working and I don't know if it works so would you take xx dollars for it.

[quote name='Kerig']That's an amazing tactic. I've never seen anyone do that before, but I can imagine this working almost every time, whether I'm the seller or the buyer. Incomplete is never worth as much.

OP: Buy Season 1 of Pawn Stars from Target for $5. It'll open your eyes to negotiating in ways you may have never seen. Season 2 is even better, and they show the cash-in-hand method executed perfectly in the KISS pinball machine episode.

#1 thing to NOT do at a garage sale: negotiate down to a half price of $5, then say "Do you have change for $100?" True story happened at a garage sale that I was at, they politely told her to GTFO and break it at a gas station.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, normally it's only a good idea to make change on asking price purchases, and with $20 bills.

Honestly, my experience is that people selling at flea markets are frequently not there to actually sell stuff, but just for the atmosphere and the social aspect. One obvious sign to look for is items that are very clearly faded by the sun, meaning this person has had the same shit on the same table for months, if not years. These people will seldom negotiate, and don't even care whether or not you buy anything.

Tag Sales are better in that aspect in that people are often more willing to work with you on the price, but in the end, much like people who walk away on Pawn Stars, when push comes to shove people often find that they have more emotional attachment to their things than they are willing to admit. Once people start with the stories like "Well, this stuff belonged to my son, and he's at college and blah blah blah" or "I have to wait for so and so to come home because I don't know how much he wants to sell it for" just turn around and head back to the car, the person isn't really interested in selling anything in the first place.

[quote name='Survivalism']Watch the Pawn Stars with the Lincoln Roadster. And even better than Pawn Stars is American Pickers, those guys can talk hoarders into selling them their stuff.[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that. I've been watching a lot of American pickers and Pawn Stars. Their tactics do work, but I'm looking for stuff beyond that.

I've also incorporated a Reggie Shrug which surprisingly gave me a five dollar discount on a game.

Gotta do it like this though

ReggieShrug.gif

[quote name='Survivalism']Watch the Pawn Stars with the Lincoln Roadster. And even better than Pawn Stars is American Pickers, those guys can talk hoarders into selling them their stuff.[/QUOTE]

Just placed my order for American Pickers S1 at Amazon. Will be here Wednesday. :)

Saw a low-star review on Amazon summed up as "Want to see guys buy stuff from unsuspecting old people for a fraction of the value? Then buy this DVD." Sold!

[quote name='spmahn']Honestly, my experience is that people selling at flea markets are frequently not there to actually sell stuff, but just for the atmosphere and the social aspect. One obvious sign to look for is items that are very clearly faded by the sun, meaning this person has had the same shit on the same table for months, if not years. These people will seldom negotiate, and don't even care whether or not you buy anything.

Tag Sales are better in that aspect in that people are often more willing to work with you on the price, but in the end, much like people who walk away on Pawn Stars, when push comes to shove people often find that they have more emotional attachment to their things than they are willing to admit. Once people start with the stories like "Well, this stuff belonged to my son, and he's at college and blah blah blah" or "I have to wait for so and so to come home because I don't know how much he wants to sell it for" just turn around and head back to the car, the person isn't really interested in selling anything in the first place.[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting thought, but I would say otherwise since they are paying money to rent a spot there I assume in most cases, why would they pay money and set up the same garbage week after week if they were just there to socialize? You would just think they would go and walk around if they wanted to do that.

If it was costing me money to set up a table and my time every week not to mention prepping the stuff and I wasn't making anything off it then what I would do is just donate all my stuff to the salvation army and quit doing it, anyone with any common sense knows this.

I have never seen anyone who didn't want to sell for the emotional attachment reason, if they don't want to sell then they don't put the item out in the first place.

Though I have to admit you have a point with the faded stuff which I see all too often at my fleamarket, I don't really know why people pay money, drag all their stuff out, stuff that is most likely ready for the trash can if they never sell anything. From what I see at my flea its the same people that set up every single time. Some vendors do have good luck selling things. Unless that thrill of selling one overpriced item to one very stupid person is what they are waiting for...

Obviously the people who sell at the flea are not the brightest of the bunch if they keep paying for a spot week after week even if they don't sell anything. As someone else on this message board once said the only one making money off fleamarkets is the owner of the fleamarket!

[quote name='SaraAB']This is an interesting thought, but I would say otherwise since they are paying money to rent a spot there I assume in most cases, why would they pay money and set up the same garbage week after week if they were just there to socialize? You would just think they would go and walk around if they wanted to do that.

If it was costing me money to set up a table and my time every week not to mention prepping the stuff and I wasn't making anything off it then what I would do is just donate all my stuff to the salvation army and quit doing it, anyone with any common sense knows this.

I have never seen anyone who didn't want to sell for the emotional attachment reason, if they don't want to sell then they don't put the item out in the first place.

Though I have to admit you have a point with the faded stuff which I see all too often at my fleamarket, I don't really know why people pay money, drag all their stuff out, stuff that is most likely ready for the trash can if they never sell anything. From what I see at my flea its the same people that set up every single time. Some vendors do have good luck selling things. Unless that thrill of selling one overpriced item to one very stupid person is what they are waiting for...

Obviously the people who sell at the flea are not the brightest of the bunch if they keep paying for a spot week after week even if they don't sell anything. As someone else on this message board once said the only one making money off fleamarkets is the owner of the fleamarket![/QUOTE]

I've noticed a few things about people who regularly set up; it's not just that they're selling but they're also buying from people who bring them various wares due to their increased visibility. Another thing they'll do is bring a fair amount of small items with quick turn-over to pay for the spot, which will give them more leeway to sit on everything else. It is possible to make money, but you have to know about stock rotation, and have a willingness to try different locations--since at certain meets some items will sell better than others, and etc.

Yeah, I am guessing these people have alternative sources of where to sell things if things don't sell at the flea, its possible they run ebay businesses and use the flea to get most of their items to then sell on ebay. Its possible they could have spots at a few fleas and rotate stock between the locations.

I bring stuff to the flea to sell but based on what the vendors are giving me and the ebay prices if they are doing this they aren't making a lot of money if anything on it, I check ebay prices before I sell anything to vendors at the flea and make sure I am getting close to ebay prices before my item goes to a vendor there.

Selling prices at my flea are much higher than ebay prices though, so even though they are paying me what I feel is fair market value for my items they might be making twice as much on it by selling to a local who doesn't know any better.

But for myself since ebay fees are high and complainers are common it might be better for me to sell my item at the flea to a vendor and take cash on the spot and lose a few bucks rather than deal with a complaining buyer and have paypal rule in their favor then be out the whole price of the item plus shipping.

Since the local craigslist market is crap here I have no other choices but to hit ebay and the flea and try to unload my items that way.

bread's done
Back