Shaving Every Day - WTF?

[quote name='help1']That is EXACTLY what I do to prevent tugging. It works great!
[/quote]

Ya know... I'd say the same thing, but unfortunately my shit is so thick (huh huh... that's what she said) that whether I'm using my Sideburn attachment or beard shaver I still tug shit which I fucking hate. I'm lucky I guess...

[quote name='HowStern']I used to get awful irritation from shaving using those 3-4 blade razors. I use one of these now

93921487-65bf-d230-4c9d-2a5626a44198.jpg

It gets such a close shave I only have to shave every other day to have no stubble. (Not that I do that all the time...Sometimes I go beardfaced.) And I get no irritation. Use an Alum block after shaving too. Also if you do decide to try a safety razor don't push down just let it glide, it's easy to cut yourself[/QUOTE]

:0 where can i get one?

After reading this, I'm going to try with a double-edged safety razor. I'm tired of the irritation, bumps, and cuts of cartridge razors.

And don't get me started on electric razors....

Edit: Some informative videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't shave anymore. I use one of those beard clippers and just buzz it down to stubble. If I shave, my neck itches like crazy when it grows back out. When it's just stubble it doesn't itch.

I use a Gillette Fusion Power with the same brand shave gel.. I do it in the shower (with a fog-resistant mirror) every morning.. that's what she said.

Get in shower
Body wash/rinse
Shampoo/rinse
Put conditioner in
Shave
rinse conditioner

out

~4minutes

I'd toss that Quattro and replace it with a Fusion. Much better razor.

Definitely use shaving cream. Yeah, it takes a little longer, but it really helps. The hot shower is also a great idea, which you said you're already doing.

I've used both electric and manual razors. I prefer the better/cleaner cut from the manuals, though the electric is faster. And I actually shave once every three or four days.

I only have to shave once every 2 weeks or so. If I want my face to look smooth it would have to be every 3 or 4 days. Anyway what I do is use an electric razor to get the hairs down as close to my skin as possible, and then I use a manual razor plus shaving cream to finish the rest.

I use a quattro razor and barbasol shaving cream. I believe the electric razor I use is a braun.

THis weekend it looks like I'm going to pickup a shower mirror and some shaving cream and see how that works out for me. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th shave and it is already starting to feel a little better. The neck is still tough and I can never seem to get it to feel totally smooth, even though it generally looks okay when I'm done with it.

as a black man, i can tell you that razors = murder.

most black men have ultra sensitive skin, horribly sensitive skin. razors kill us. that's why if you look in wal-mart you can find a product line dedicated to fighting razor bumps. (it works...but slow)

the reason is simply because most black men have natural curly hair, and our beards grow in weirdly. the hairs will dip back into the skin and you get bumps. and trust me...NOBODY LIKES BUMPS!!!

So, unless already stated by a black man on here already, we mainly use clippers (personal grooming type or the type you'll get from a barber). Clippers can get you close without irritation and doesn't open up the skin at all so no worries about hairs sprouting up...only to curl down.

Second best is a foil razor.

Anything else...like those 3 head electric razors or a manual razor....disgrace and waste of time!

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']THis weekend it looks like I'm going to pickup a shower mirror and some shaving cream and see how that works out for me. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th shave and it is already starting to feel a little better. The neck is still tough and I can never seem to get it to feel totally smooth, even though it generally looks okay when I'm done with it.[/quote]

What razor are you going with?

[quote name='HowStern']Here's a couple for $25

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/5416207.htm

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/5415886.htm

The blades are really cheap, so, it makes up for spending more on a razor because you'll save money in the long run.[/quote]

Thank you, I think it's time for me to switch to the scary old-fashioned razor. I have a really thick dark beard so I can ruin a cartridge (Gillette) in about 2-3 days. My skin is pretty sensitive too, so I have a lot of trouble shaving since the blade won't cut.

What are these clippers you guys are talking about? They are not the same as electric razors?

[quote name='willardhaven']What razor are you going with?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the Fusion is a favorite of a few in the thread, I'll try that.

i use a beard trimmer to shave. lol. it leaves me with a 5 oclock shadow look that ive kinda grown into. I do have to shave everyday though with, regardless of what i use. it really is a pain in the ass

Since I have to keep clean shavin for work (they don't allow men to have beards/goatees , mustaches are ok within reason though) I usually shave every other day , when I take my shower. I use shave gel or foam , whichever I have , and usually some variety of gilette razor (either Mach 3 or Fusion , again whichever I have cardtridges for). No Quadtros. Every Quadtro I've used worked shitty , and the blade had to be changed really frequently (like every 2-3 shaves) , as opposed to the gilette blades where I can get away with using the same cardtridge for 6-12 shaves. Not because of dullnesss though , but the fact that the quadtro blades always got clogged up too easily.

If I'm really in a hurry , I keep a pack of disposibles in my locker at work , and I'll grab one , head in the bathroom , run some water and wet my face/stubble/beard up , no gel or foam , and just shave quick right there. Doing that actually seems like it gets me a closer , smoother shave , but it does leave my face a bit burned for a while.

[quote name='Z_meista']try using shaving cream.[/quote]
This. I can't imagine shaving without it. The whole purpose of shaving cream is to lubricate your skin so the blade moves over it easily. Shave after or in the shower. The heat and moisture from the shower will soften your hair and make it easier to cut.

bread's done
Back