Like they're on Cloud Nine

I'm just a sexy boy (sexy boy)
I'm not your boy toy (boy toy)
I'm just a sexy boy (sexy boy)
I'm not your boy toy (boy toy)

Eat your heart out girls
Hands off the merchandise♫

42he2.jpg

Say hello to the Showtopper! It's "The Heartbreak Kid", Shawn Michaels!

Although he spent most of his life growing up as a military brat in San Antonio, Texas... Michael Shawn Hickenbottom was
born in Chandler, Arizona on July 22, 1965.

Fairly early, Michaels wanted to become a pro wrestler. In one wrestling magazine, he claims that during a teenager, he'd
freak out friends and family by slicing his forehead with a razor and screaming, "Look! I'm a wrestler!" Michaels was trained
Mexican wrestling legend Jose Lothario and made his debut in 1984, working with Mid-South Wrestling and later Texas
All-Star Wrestling, where he won the Tag Team Championships with Paul Diamond.

In Central States Championship Wrestling, he and tag partner Marty Jannetty captured their Tag Team titles from the Batten
Twins. During this time, Michaels also made several appearances with World Class Championship Wrestling.

The Midnight Rockers (as they were called) made their national-level debut in 1986 in the AWA. They held the tag titles
twice, feuding with "Playboy" Buddy Rose and Doug Somers. During an AWA talent raid in 1987, The Rockers were signed
by the WWF. They were fired within two weeks for "partying too hard," but were re-signed by the WWF a year later...
debuting on the June 18. 1988 episode of WWF Superstars.

The Rockers never received a fair chance at the WWF tag titles. They actually did win the titles in October 1990 during a TV
taping because Jim Neidhart was about to leave the company, and the Hart Foundation held the belts. When Jim re-signed,
the belts were taken away and their title win was never aired. When news of what happened spead, WWF blamed the voiding
of the win on a faulty turnbuckle during the match.

On December 2, 1991, Michaels used the Sweet Chin Music on Marty Jannetty and sent him crashing through "The Barber
Shop" window... and with Marty Jannetty's career in the WWF ending after that, Shawn Michaels became a heel... "The
Heartbreak Kid," at the suggestion of Curt Hennig. The rest, as they say is history...he's given us many 5-star performances
both as face and heel.

During his career, Michaels has faced many hardships both in the wrestling business and in his personal life. There have been
many battles that he's faced, ranging from the addictions many wrestlers face on the road... to real-life rivalries and scuffles
with many of his colleagues. It seems like Michaels finally found peace a few years back after getting married, raising a family,
and becoming a born-again Christian.

Even at the ripe old age of 41, Michaels still has what it takes to wow audiences night after night. Despite what your opinion
of the man is, you cannot discount what he has done in the ring, and the amazing performances he has given during his
tenure with the WWE. He is a definite Hall-of-Fame inductee for the future, and his classic gum-smacking, annoying heel
character is a favorite of many who grew up with the WWF in the 90s.

I am pleased to give credit where credit is due, and to post the "Shawn Michaels Wrestling Topic." I thought it would be
fitting... as someone who doesn't care much for the man, but has enjoyed the performer... to create this long overdue tribute
to a great performer.

Please check out such sources as Wikipedia or Obsessed with Wrestling for more information on Michaels. Also, I'm sure
that everyone already has a copy of "Sexy Boy," and for those that don't, I'm sure someone will upload it here for sure. :)

[quote name='2Fast']'bout time.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and I thought who better to introduce it? :lol:

Seriously, even though I don't care about the man, the performer has given a hell of a lot over these many years.

When he kicked Marty thru the window and Heenan said "Did you see that? Jannetty jumped right thru that window because he was afraid of Michaels" Classic.

[quote name='JimmieMac']When he kicked Marty thru the window and Heenan said "Did you see that? Jannetty jumped right thru that window because he was afraid of Michaels" Classic.[/QUOTE]

Classic, indeed.

It's a damn shame that cancer has hurt Bobby's voice permanently. What's great is that his sense of humor is still there and as great as ever.

Can you ever beat the team of Heenan and Monsoon?

[quote name='Demolition Man']*starts boo-ing*

WE WANT JAKE ROBERTS! *clap clap clap clap clap*

But this topic is fine until the next one.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised that Jake hasn't had a topic. Hopefully that gets rectified soon. There are also a few others who deserve one.

[quote name='Genocidal']Swerved again. Seems you can't take anything in wrestling at face value these days.[/QUOTE]

I thought this would shake things up a little. :lol:

Don't anyone accuse me of being a Shawn Michaels fanboy, though. You'll get a Koppou Kick to the teeth.

[quote name='mykevermin']Marked. Good choice, even though I'm in the mood for "Ravishing" Rick Rude.[/QUOTE]

Have we had a topic for him?

If not, then "HIT MY MUSIC!" :)

haven't been a wrestling fan since about middle school (about 7 years ago) but I enjoy reading the mini bios of the old school wrestlers you guys post.

I think I read this a while ago in one of these thread but whats up with people saying "beyond the mat" was fake? Or am i trippin'?

[quote name='DT778']
I think I read this a while ago in one of these thread but whats up with people saying "beyond the mat" was fake? Or am i trippin'?[/QUOTE]

Well, Jake Roberts talked about it a bit. He sued the director (and I'm not sure if there was a final verdict) because the director made him think that he was supposed to appear in a film that would be primarily for showing young children about the dangers of drugs and various abuses.

So, Jake Roberts claims that he was playing a character of a constantly drug-abusing pro wrestler in order to help convince children to stay away from drugs. When the film was released as a documentary, Jake was angry that he was being portrayed as his "character" in the film.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Well, Jake Roberts talked about it a bit. He sued the director (and I'm not sure if there was a final verdict) because the director made him think that he was supposed to appear in a film that would be primarily for showing young children about the dangers of drugs and various abuses.

So, Jake Roberts claims that he was playing a character of a constantly drug-abusing pro wrestler in order to help convince children to stay away from drugs. When the film was released as a documentary, Jake was angry that he was being portrayed as his "character" in the film.[/QUOTE]

He also blames Terry Funk for Beyond the Mat because he is the one who got him involved.

Shawn was one of the smaller guys to hold the title too, and this was long before Eddie, Benoit, Y2J and Rey. He really paved the way for the more atheltic and smaller wrestlers to get heavyweight title shots IMO.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']He also blames Terry Funk for Beyond the Mat because he is the one who got him involved.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.

I remember a friend of mine meeting Jake and asking him to sign his DVD of Beyond the Mat, and Jake refused to, and told him why. Jake was cool, though, and signed whatever else my friend wanted.

Nice pick, Jack. Good of you to move past your personal feelings (mostly;)) and choose him. We could use more of that in the wrestling threads.

[quote name='neocisco']Nice pick, Jack. Good of you to move past your personal feelings (mostly;)) and choose him. We could use more of that in the wrestling threads.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Besides that I wanted to shake things up a little, there was another reason for doing this topic. I learned that there wasn't a Shawn Michaels topic done whlie I was ill and gone, just out of respect for me. I was really moved by that, and I wanted to return the kindness of CAG with this.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Thanks.

Besides that I wanted to shake things up a little, there was another reason for doing this topic. I learned that there wasn't a Shawn Michaels topic done whlie I was ill and gone, just out of respect for me. I was really moved by that, and I wanted to return the kindness of CAG with this.[/quote]

True, but there were the "Bret Hart and Jushin Lyger stink topics." :D

[quote name='2Fast']True, but there were the "Bret Hart and Jushin Lyger stink topics." :D[/QUOTE]

:bomb:

The only thing that would make me attack the CAG servers is if somebody ever insulted a certain someone (looks at sig). Don't... even... think about it. ;)

[quote name='Saucy Jack']:bomb:

The only thing that would make me attack the CAG servers is if somebody ever insulted a certain someone (looks at sig). Don't... even... think about it. ;)[/quote]

Well if I ever want to turn heel, I know where to start :D

Someone is definitely getting a thumb to the eye before this topic is done.

Just to kill their momentum.

I honestly never thought Micheals would wrestle again considering his back issues. I wonder if it'll ever give him problems again if he pushes himself too hard?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I honestly never thought Micheals would wrestle again considering his back issues. I wonder if it'll ever give him problems again if he pushes himself too hard?[/quote]

Same here, I thought Michaels was done for good. When I switched from WCW to WWF is right after Wrestlemania XIV (Michaels last match at the time) and when I stopped watching wrestling cold turkey was about a week before he came back.

What would be even more surprising than Michaels' comeback would be if Bret came back.

[quote name='2Fast']Well if I ever want to turn heel, I know where to start :D[/QUOTE]

If you ever do... well, I'll steal a page from Haggar in Saturday Night Slam Masters:

"Drop me a line so I can visit your hospital room!" :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I honestly never thought Micheals would wrestle again considering his back issues. I wonder if it'll ever give him problems again if he pushes himself too hard?[/QUOTE]

That is one thing that I do admire about him, that he was able to make a comeback like that and put on some good matches with a bad back.

One thing I've never found more about with Michaels is whatever happened regarding the lawsuit filed against him.

Many say that he returned to wrestling all those years ago because he needed the money. Supposedly, it was reported that one of his wrestling students became paralyzed after a botched move... and Michaels didn't have insurance for his wrestling school. Put two and two together. Any truth to this?

[quote name='2Fast']Same here, I thought Michaels was done for good. When I switched from WCW to WWF is right after Wrestlemania XIV (Michaels last match at the time) and when I stopped watching wrestling cold turkey was about a week before he came back.

What would be even more surprising than Michaels' comeback would be if Bret came back.[/QUOTE]

Bret has made a lot of progress in his recovery. He's almost back to where he used to be, pre-injury. The only thing that would really stop him from wrestling again is the chance that someone would screw up and he'd take a severe hit to the head.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Shawn was one of the smaller guys to hold the title too, and this was long before Eddie, Benoit, Y2J and Rey. He really paved the way for the more atheltic and smaller wrestlers to get heavyweight title shots IMO.[/QUOTE]
Randy Savage and Bret Hart were each about HBK's size, and in Savage's case, he was probably lighter than him at times while holding the title. Both men's reigns pre-dated Shawn's, while Eddie was the smallest world champion ever until Rey won the belt this year.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Randy Savage, before WCW, and Bret Hart were each about HBK's size, and in Savage's case, he was probably lighter than him at times while holding the title. Both men's reigns pre-dated Shawn's, while Eddie was the smaller world champion ever until Rey won the belt this year.[/quote]

fix'd

[quote name='JimmieMac']When he kicked Marty thru the window and Heenan said "Did you see that? Jannetty jumped right thru that window because he was afraid of Michaels" Classic.[/QUOTE]

Mega-points for reminding me of that ("Jannetty tried to dive through the window to escape!") After they showed the replay on Prime Time, back in the studio Hennig and Heenan followed it up with a few other comments..."I don't think he'll get a job washing windows!" "What a breakthrough for the Rockers!"

Got my ROH tickets in the mail for Wrestlemania weekend in Detroit - and damn, those tickets are easily reproducable. Anyone have some pink construction paper and a blue ink pen? Sheesh.

Bound For Glory this weekend. Words cannot express how underwhelmed I am by this, although, again, if anyone has good sign ideas, let's see 'em. I'd mostly prefer non-sequitur/non-wrestling signs, but I'll take what I can get. "I SAW REGAL'S ENGLISH MUFFIN" may go with me.

Mega-points for reminding me of that ("Jannetty tried to dive through the window to escape!") After they showed the replay on Prime Time, back in the studio Hennig and Heenan followed it up with a few other comments..."I don't think he'll get a job washing windows!" "What a breakthrough for the Rockers!"

Got my ROH tickets in the mail for Wrestlemania weekend in Detroit - and damn, those tickets are easily reproducable. Anyone have some pink construction paper and a blue ink pen? Sheesh.

Bound For Glory this weekend. Words cannot express how underwhelmed I am by this, although, again, if anyone has good sign ideas, let's see 'em. I'd mostly prefer non-sequitur/non-wrestling signs, but I'll take what I can get. "I SAW REGAL'S ENGLISH MUFFIN" may go with me.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Randy Savage and Bret Hart were each about HBK's size, and in Savage's case, he was probably lighter than him at times while holding the title. Both men's reigns pre-dated Shawn's, while Eddie was the smallest world champion ever until Rey won the belt this year.[/quote]

Weight wise, though Michaels was smaller. All three are in the 6'0" - 6'2" range.

According to Wiki...

Savage

6'2" 245 (I don't ever recall Savage being as thin as Michaels)

Bret Hart

6'0" - 6'1" 234 (Same with Bret)

HBK

6'1" 225 (The cruiserweight cutoff today is 220.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Cruiserweight_Champion

I do agree that Savage was lighter than in his WCW days, but I don't think it was by that much. According to wiki, Shawn was the lightest WWF (not including WWE) champ at 227. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Championship

[quote name='GuilewasNK']All three are in the 6'0" - 6'2" range.[/QUOTE]

My ass.

I was watching an old Hogan match the other day while studying, and McMahon claimed "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan was around 6'8".

fuck, how tall did they claim Jericho was?

I know for a fact that Eddie Guerrero was around 5'6"-5'8" Dude was just *short* close up and in person, and I'm only 5'10 and three quarters 5'11".

Wrestling fans scare me LOL, I went to a match once and all I saw was overweight wackos making those weird hand signals...I think they thought it was real. Oh well I Watch it the odd time for a good laugh :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']My ass.

I was watching an old Hogan match the other day while studying, and McMahon claimed "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan was around 6'8".

fuck, how tall did they claim Jericho was?

I know for a fact that Eddie Guerrero was around 5'6"-5'8" Dude was just *short* close up and in person, and I'm only 5'10 and three quarters 5'11".[/quote]

Remember, I said according to wiki...:lol:

They claim Y2J was 6'0". He is probably closer to 5'10".

Heck, I had an old wrestling card YEARS ago that listed Hogan at 6'9" 306. The 306 was probably right since he wasn't as ripped as he was in later years though. Granted, wiki isn't gospel, but it was the quickest source I could find at the moment. I would wager the weights are fairly correct though. The only time they obviously exaggerate that is for super huge dudes anyway (Yokozuna, Big Show, Viscera).

I've seen height exaggerated in real life myself. There was a guy on my high school team that was really about 5'10 but the listed him at 6'2" to get recruiters to look at him.

I'm not blaming the messenger. Aside from stopping a wrestler and holding up measuring tape to them, there's no way to get an accurate measure, since wrestling lives and dies by portraying their dudes as larger than life. To that extent, they fulfill their duties wonderfully by lying about height.

Holy crap, myk, check out the CW channel saturday night. Looks like the cincy area finally gets the OVW show now. Now if ROH could get a TV show in our area(some already have it in their area). I find it funny with Time Warner's listing of it. Cause right after is HWA Wrestling(cincy/dayton area promotion) and has it listed with the description as "The minor leagues of WWE". Which I think they got those two descriptions mixed, since WWE severed their ties with them, although Rosey is there(and goes by Ro-Z).

[quote name='tangytangerine']Holy crap, myk, check out the CW channel saturday night. Looks like the cincy area finally gets the OVW show now. Now if ROH could get a TV show in our area(some already have it in their area). I find it funny with Time Warner's listing of it. Cause right after is HWA Wrestling(cincy/dayton area promotion) and has it listed with the description as "The minor leagues of WWE". Which I think they got those two descriptions mixed, since WWE severed their ties with them, although Rosey is there(and goes by Ro-Z).[/QUOTE]

AWEfuckINGSOME!

Rosey's in HWA? I haven't been to any of their shows since they moved from Westwood to Reading (even if that's technically closer to me).

So, is anyone gonna tune in to Kurt Angle's TNA debut tonight? I really thought last weeks show was excellent, with emphasis put on the World Title, and on Samoa Joe. I'm interested to see what TNA does within the next 2-3 months, they REALLY have a shot at getting a lot of new fans into the mix with Angle, and if TNA spotlights some of the things TNA does different than WWE, those new viewers who tuned in to see Angle, might just stick with the product.

Seems we'll see another "pick his opponent" match this year at CS, Umaga got a challege. Although from the wording, it might be a SD or ECW guy. I just hope we don't have to see a match with the Spirit Squad.

Also, Torrie Wilson's entrance is up on IGN. Thankfully, she's got a updated entrance and music this year. Although they haven't updated her attire(it's the same as Day of Reckoning 2).

Apparently Corporal Kirchner died today. He was a legendary asshole, so good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I think Foley wrote about him in one of his books, claiming that when Kirchner was wrestling as Leatherface in Japan, he was so pissed at his opponent that he took the corner of a bed of nails (remember, this was IWA/FMW garbage wrestling), placed it on his opponents' neck, and legdropped the motherfucker from the top rope.

fuck him.

In other news (and you WON'T believe this!)

When 2 Cold Scorpio debuts for World Wrestling Entertainment, he'll be using the Flash Funk persona. Scorpio is currently on his last tour of Pro Wrestling NOAH and will be relocating to the United States shortly.

(from pwinsider)

I wonder if he'll feud with MVP, and they can have a "glittery baby blue panties on a pole" match.

Didn't Kirchner write a book a few years back? I remember hearing all the terrible stories about him. He was fucked up.

As for the other news, do you think we'll hear the old theme song again? :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']It would be the only cold comfort, Jack. The ONLY cold comfort. :lol:

Like the cowbell in Dusty Rhodes' theme.[/QUOTE]

♪ Ameeeeeerican Dreaaaaaaam

(cowbell)

He's just a common man
Working hard with his hands
He's just a common man
Working hard for the man
Hey he's American Dream
Hey he's American Dream ♫

Funny thing about Dusty's theme. Nobody in the world knows the lyrics that follow. They're unintelligible. Even I can't decipher them 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back