Shelving question

TehBolt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I looked and decided general gaming is where it should go lol.

Ok, I am converting a room into a gaming room. I want to build shelving for each specific console. I have plenty of plywood for this little venture. The first console I am looking to shelf is the PS3, I would like the shelf to fit the games perfectly. No weird gaps, just a nice snug fit. I have never done a project like this and I am just looking for some pointers. I assume I will need to sand the plywood down as well so its not all janky.

Second, I found a shelf that is clearly not an entertainment center but I plan to turn it into one. Right now, I cut holes in the back for ventilation, but it still seems very hot in there with the doors closed. It may just be the PS3, I heard the slims run hot. I have some plexy glass and I thought about cutting squares in the doors, fitting the glass in and drilling very tiny holes for more ventilation. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

I would always leave the doors open while playing any console. I used to have my PS3 in an entertainment center, and it would litterally heat up the room:hot: I moved it out and no more problems. As far as building shelves, I've no idea. I just use the cheap $25 ones from target and they work well. Not sure it's worth the trouble, but if your up for it;)

Not able to picture exactly what you're thinking, but I'd hesitate before using plywood for the shelving. Just the nature of it makes it hard to get looking good. You can get relatively cheap wood fiber shelf boards that are pre-finished in white, black or faux wood laminate at Menards, Lowes, etc. For my media room, I bought those in as close to the dimensions that I wanted and then used a circular saw to trim the back ends down to the depth I wanted. They turned out pretty nice looking.

For the entertainment center, the more air, the better. If you can stand it, having the doors open while things are on is best. If you can't, I'd maybe add a couple decent-sized (4" diameter or larger) holes on each side wherever they'd look the least bad, and then probably fit a small fan in one of them to run when the component are on. I'd also have the fan blowing out to suck air in through the multiple other holes, rather than blowing in. Tiny holes on the doors or anywhere else aren't going to do much to help your airflow.

Yeah, I am up to making them. I have all the time in the world.

@maxfisher thanks for the info on the wood, and The fan idea had crossed my mind. With the fans it will basically be large computer case? lol

bread's done
Back