Shenmue creator steps down at Sega

will530

CAGiversary!
From Gamespot:
---
By 2003, Sega designer Yu Suzuki had already left a mark on the gaming industry worthy of
induction into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame. Best known as the creator of the Virtua Fighter and Shenmue series, Suzuki was until that point a prodigiously successful developer, responsible for many of Sega's biggest franchises.

Since the time of that AIAS honor, the designer has been out of the industry limelight, most recently appearing to promote Shenmue Online, the now-shelved massively multiplayer online role-playing game counterpart to his series of adventure games. So low was his profile that last year, Sega of America CEO Simon Jeffrey mistakenly told Gamasutra that Suzuki was no longer an employee of Sega at all.

Suzuki's retreat from the gaming world is apparently continuing, as this week Sega parent company Sega Sammy announced that the designer has stepped down--the publisher used the word "retired"--from his position as a R&D creative officer with the company. However, he isn't departing Sega entirely.

The early part of Suzuki's career was marked by a succession of arcade classics including Space Harrier, Afterburner, and Out Run. However, the developer grew more experimental in later years, devoting time to projects like the Ferrari F355 Challenge arcade game. The monstrous machine was eye-catching with three screens to provide players with better peripheral vision, but its laser-like focus on simulating driving a single model of car in painstaking detail limited its mass appeal.

Then there was the wildly ambitious Shenmue series. Although it attracted a hardcore fanbase, the first two Shenmue installments were not commercially successful, and a planned third game in the series never materialized. Although it has been more than six years since the North American release of Shenmue II, rumors of a new third game in the series pop up from time to time.
---
Shenmue III :cry::cry::cry:

This isn't surprising. Anyone who has looked up Yu Suzuki lately would find that he's been wandering China for some time now for one reason or another. This is just a formality; I wouldn't be surprised if, like Yuji Naka, he'll pop up once again at a new studio of his own.

It is a shame that Shenmue will never get a final chapter. Wasn't it going to be 7 or so games?

Just because he's stepping down as creative officer, that doesn't completely axe another Shenmue. It's highly unlikely, but as it's been stated he could well start up a studio of his own. We can't give up hope. :)

[quote name='Tsukento']Link? Because a while back, a lot of people thought he wasn't a part of SEGA anymore due to a bad interview note.[/QUOTE]

http://kotaku.com/5197880/shenmue-creator-yu-suzuki-retires-as-creative-officer-at-sega

In all honesty, this kind of stuff is usually unofficially known at the company months in advance, especially for a high-profile staff member like Yu Suzuki, which makes me wonder if the interview back in August really was a simple gaffe. When you look at the detail Simon Jeffery went into, you realize that it is far more likely that Jeffery revealed something that he shouldn't have.

Jeffery says of Suzuki's status that "Last I heard, he was doing some online stuff in China", saying that the Space Harrier and Virtua Fighter creator is "kind of his own man right now."

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Does he personally own the IP to Shenmue? That is to say, can Sega murder the property without his input?[/QUOTE]

Considering his status at Sega, I'm sure that if they have no plans for the series, they'd gladly give or sell the rights to him if he starts a new studio. I think Toys for Bob was able to get the rights to Star Control, and I know that the former FASA Studios employees were able to buy the rights for Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, and MechAssault from Microsoft.

[quote name='Molotov Cupcake']Just because he's stepping down as creative officer, that doesn't completely axe another Shenmue. It's highly unlikely, but as it's been stated he could well start up a studio of his own. We can't give up hope. :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, as Shenmue fans, we will only give up hope if they aren't able to *Holds up a capsule toy* pry the Shenmue III script from Suzuki's COLD, DEAD HAND!

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy seemed to make bad creative decisions (as well as sega as a whole) but I will always hold a special place in my heart for shenmue. Too bad we will probably never see a sequel. I don't get sega. They have a couple good franchises that could easily be put into production (jet grind radio) but they don't. It makes no sense to me.

[quote name='sotc1988']This guy seemed to make bad creative decisions (as well as sega as a whole) but I will always hold a special place in my heart for shenmue. Too bad we will probably never see a sequel. I don't get sega. They have a couple good franchises that could easily be put into production (jet grind radio) but they don't. It makes no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Probably because nobody bought JSRF.

I would love to see another Jet Grind Radio game though.

[quote name='Thomas96']Where does he go from here... Tecmo should pick this guy up.[/QUOTE]

As long as the games aren't scheduled to come out on the Wii.

bread's done
Back