Sherlock Season 1 (Region Free) Blu-Ray ORIGINAL UK CUT $13.99 FSSS

Please note that this product will not play on US spec 60i Blu-ray players as the Blu-ray discs are authored to UK 50i specs. WILL NOT PLAY ON SONY PRODUCTS DUE TO LACK OF PAL/50i Support. Important Information on Firmware Updates: Having trouble with your Blu-ray disc player? Will certain discs just not play? You may need to update the firmware inside your player

Some compatible players:

Denon DBP1610 [Outputs 50Hz content at 50Hz - cannot convert 50Hz content to another refresh rate]
Denon DVD-2500BT
Insignia NS-BRDVD3 [Plays PAL SD, playback of 1080/50i content unconfirmed. Can be made region free]
Insignia NS-BRDVD4
Insignia NS-WBRDVD2
LG BD 370 [Can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz]
LG BD 570
LG BD 590
LG BD 630 [Can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz]
LG BD 670C (3D player)
LG BH100 [Outputs 50Hz content at 50Hz - cannot convert 50Hz content to another refresh rate]
LG BH200 [Conflicting reports about whether it can output 50Hz content at 60Hz or only at 50Hz]
Momitsu BDP-799
Momitsu BDP-899 [Can be made region free]
Oppo BDP-80 [Can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz]
Oppo BDP-83 [Can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz]
Oppo BDP-93 [Can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz]
Oppo BDP-95 [Can convert 50Hz content to 60Hz]
Panasonic DMP-BD30 prior to firmware 1.6
Panasonic DMP-BD60 [Outputs 50Hz content at 50Hz]
Panasonic DMP-BD605
Panasonic DMP-BD65 [Outputs 50Hz content at 50hz]
Panasonic DMP-BD85 [Outputs 50Hz content at 50hz]
Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD [Outputs 50Hz content at 50hz, also up-converts 50Hz content]
Pioneer BDP-320 [Outputs 50Hz content at 50Hz]
Pioneer BDP-51FD [Outputs 50Hz content at 50Hz, also up-converts 50Hz content]
Samsung BD-C5500
Samsung BD-C6500
Samsung BD-C6900
Samsung BD-D5500ZA (3D player)
Samsung BD-D6500 (3D player)
Samsung BD-P1000
Samsung BD-P1200
Samsung BD-P1400
Samsung BD-P1500 [Outputs 50Hz content at 60Hz]
Samsung BD-P1600 [Outputs 50Hz content at 60Hz]
Samsung BD-P2500 (with latest firmware)
Samsung BD-P2550 [Outputs 50Hz content at 60Hz]
Samsung BD-UP5000
Samsung HT-D4500

Unfortunately this won't work on either of my BD players, which are the PS3, probably the most prevalent BD player out there, and the Panasonic DMP-BDT210, which is the top-selling player on Amazon.

[quote name='rickeeretardo']What are the differences between this edition and the available US edition?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a difference.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Redundant, but yes, make sure your player and tv will both play 50hz.

PS3 will NOT work.[/QUOTE]

Or that your blu-ray player will convert 50hz to 60hz. There are some models that will do that.

But yes, unless you know specifically that your hardware can handle this, it's best to avoid it and just get the US release.

its unlucky that this wont work on the majority of BR players in the US as its a thrilling series.
grin.jpg

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Redundant, but yes, make sure your player and tv will both play 50hz.

PS3 will NOT work.[/QUOTE]

So pissed I missed that when buying off Amazon UK a while back. What rubbish!

[quote name='Beershow']its unlucky that this wont work on the majority of BR players in the US as its a thrilling series.
grin.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well it's not like we can't see it. It's on Netflix, and Blu here too, just for double the price.

The odd thing is that not everything from UK TV was put as 1080i 50Hz when dumped to BD.

I've ordered Torchwood: Children Of Earth and Doctor Who: The Complete Specials from Amazon UK and they both played without issue on my PS3, as I believe they're 1080i 60Hz or 1080p 60Hz. Doctor Who S5 didn't play in my PS3 because it's 1080i 50Hz, though it did play OK on my HTPC with its BDRW drive and WinDVD Pro 11. I would assume Sherlock should as well, since I have this same release and haven't played it yet.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Well it's not like we can't see it. It's on Netflix, and Blu here too, just for double the price.[/QUOTE]

I got the US release for $18 in January of last year with a Barnes and Noble coupon (I think it was when they had a 50% off blu-ray coupon, plus my member discount). Deals can be had on it, you just have to watch for them.

BBC is inconsistent. I don't know if it is a channel thing- BBC2 makes their own policies, for example, or something else.

I know the entire Torchwood series is 60hz, and apparently the Doctor Who Specials.

I own this set, so I can confirm it is 50hz only. I also believe that Being Human is 50hz only, as well as the Doctor Who main series Blus. As for the Complete Specials, I'm not sure why that would be different, but apparently it is.

So most seem to be 50hz, which makes sense because that is the market they are manufactured for. Some of them are 60hz when they use the same masters for the US and UK discs, which seems to be less frequent than the alternative.

All of them are region free, so far as I am aware, so it really is just the 50hz issue.

Mine looks fantastic. But both my player and TV are 50hz compatible. If your TV converts it I imagine it might look somewhat off.

We've got the Lark Rise to Candleford UK blurays and they play without a hitch (Series 2 and 3 are 50hz only). On the other hand, the Downton Abbey US bluray has an annoying stutter due to the 50/60 conversion (or so I would imagine).

Watching Sherlock on Netflix, I know it has the stutter issue. If buying the UK bluray solves that, then I'm off to purchase. I loved both seasons that have aired so far.

[quote name='thelonepig']Watching Sherlock on Netflix, I know it has the stutter issue. If buying the UK bluray solves that, then I'm off to purchase. I loved both seasons that have aired so far.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, it's been nearly a year since I watched it, but I don't remember any noticeable stuttering on my US Sherlock blu-ray.

Hmm, I didn't notice any stuttering watching Sherlock on Netflix. Saw the first two episodes of it. Is it the streaming, or the actual video itself that is stuttering?

It's the actual video itself. If you watch much BBC on PBS, you've likely seen it before. I don't know what else to call it, but essentially the movement isn't as fluid.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']BBC is inconsistent. I don't know if it is a channel thing- BBC2 makes their own policies, for example, or something else.

I know the entire Torchwood series is 60hz, and apparently the Doctor Who Specials.

I own this set, so I can confirm it is 50hz only. I also believe that Being Human is 50hz only, as well as the Doctor Who main series Blus. As for the Complete Specials, I'm not sure why that would be different, but apparently it is.

So most seem to be 50hz, which makes sense because that is the market they are manufactured for. Some of them are 60hz when they use the same masters for the US and UK discs, which seems to be less frequent than the alternative.

All of them are region free, so far as I am aware, so it really is just the 50hz issue.[/QUOTE]

What you say about all of Torchwood isn't true... apparently the Miracle Day Blu-ray is 1080i50, which is strange considering it was shot in North America. I would have thought it was shot in 1080p24.

As for the BBC 1080i60 Blu-ray discs, I believe they originally authored all their discs in that format so that all they had to do was change the region coding for release outside of the UK. All of the special features on those Blu-ray discs are NTSC-compatible as well, iirc.

The other reason I can see the newer discs being 1080i50 is the possibility that they were shot in 1080p25 (I know this the case with DW S5 and S6) whereas the previous episodes were in 1080i50. They released the new episodes in what would be their "full quality" (1080i50 has the same amount of practical resolution as 1080p25) whereas they didn't care so much about the quality of the previous 1080i episodes. It's possible, but not likely... so I'm going to have to guess it was merely a preventative cost saving measure for export's sake.

I didn't even know Miracle Day was out, and it being 50hz is very bizarre, but maybe signifies a policy change to 50hz only, at the least for BBC2.

bread's done
Back