Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey -Replacement soundtrack CD available- Out now!

Passwords are used for summoning demons, either from others or from these special passwords. For instance, Soothing Ice will give you a Level 23 Silky with Bufula, Glacial Blast (random Heavy Ice), Diarama, Media, and Shooting Spree. You can also output passwords from demons in your compendium, so it's basically a Pokemon-esque trading, but without the use of cables or anything like that. Most passwords are just assortments of random numbers/letters/symbols though, rather than phrases like the ones in the Atlus e-mail.

Atlus actually has a Strange Journey password forum for people to post theirs.

Edit: I just tried each of those passwords. They're not bad for starting players, as 2 of them are below level 10, one is around 12, and the last is of course level 23. They're pretty good demons for their level though.

Also, for anyone on the last dungeon, I ran into the second technical boss fight
Jiminez
and holy crap is it brutal.

If you click on the more details part of the e-mail, it'll show you exactly what each password is for and how it differs from the "vanilla" version of the demon.

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']I probably know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask anyway.
I won't have time to play this game this year; should I buy now since it'll probably become harder to get? It is an Atlus game afterall.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. The game looks really good, but the time I have for games each week is so low, with my current backlog I would have a hard time getting to it this year, unless I moved it up to the front of course.

Huh, I was kind of expecting you could register demons created with passwords, but I guess not.

Oh, nevermind. Using the password just adds it to your compendium, and you need to summon it to use it/register it. Good enough, though expensive!

You can register demons created with passwords, but you have to summon them first. The password slots seem to act as a limbo-esque compendium. They're in there, but they're not permanent (i.e. they can be overwritten) until you pay the macca to summon them. Once you summon them, they'll either auto-register (if you don't have the same demon in the compendium) or they'll appear on the registration screen.

My only real complaint with some of the demon stuff is that the prices skyrocket sometimes. For instance, there's one demon I want to summon (got a password for him thanks to an Exmission) but it costs 325k macca.

For those who have been on the fence on whether to get this now or not, GameStop's current "Daily Deal" is 20% off any DS or Wii game $29.99 or more. The coupon code is 20TENDO and according to the page, the deal is good until 11am CST on 4/12.

http://www.gamestop.com/thedeal

This would bring SMT: Strange Journey down to $27.99 before tax, and qualifies for free "value" shipping.

[quote name='thelonepig']I got my shipping notice on the replacement soundtrack two weeks ago, but have yet to receive it.[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . I actually got my shipping notice two days after the replacement disc arrived. If you don't get it in another week or so, you might want to contact them.

Yay, finally got the replacement soundtrack. The label said it was shipped on April 2nd.

Odd thing is that it was sitting on my doorstep as opposed to in the box with the rest of the mail. I'm guessing one of the neighbors got it and has been sitting on it for a few days.

In any case, yay!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm losing my drive near the end. Dying so much.[/QUOTE]
I think I've given up at the end of Eridanus, which makes the rest of the game rather intimidating. I might cheat with some password demons to get past the boss and see if I can get back into it afterward. Not like I have anything else waiting to be played in the meantime.

Depending on your level, you may want to fuse a
Thunderbird and a Vivian. Thunderbird's source gives Void Elec, and Vivian's gives Luster Candy. If you can get Void Elec on a demon with Agilao/dyne, it makes the battle go much easier. The same goes for Luster Candy.

It does get pretty intimidating, as
Ouroboros
is the first really tough boss. If you want a good demon for it, I found this one when I was having trouble. Also, if you haven't, you may want to do the quest to get the Hawthorne Spear from
Kresnik
. The armor you get is really good for that fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting on a price drop on this, or at least some used versions to show up at Gamestop. How long has the game been out, 6 weeks? Shouldn't GS have used copies listed on their website by now? They don't show any listing for it, only new.

[quote name='keithp']I've been waiting on a price drop on this, or at least some used versions to show up at Gamestop. How long has the game been out, 6 weeks? Shouldn't GS have used copies listed on their website by now? They don't show any listing for it, only new.[/QUOTE]

Might take a bit longer for an RPG, noticed that those tend to never come in locally, and online is sketchy.

[quote name='xycury']Might take a bit longer for an RPG, noticed that those tend to never come in locally, and online is sketchy.[/QUOTE]

I thought they'd at least have the listing for it by now though. :cry:

I just started this game yesterday, I've had to heal my party so much and save frequently because I'm afraid to die! Need moar maccaz

Took me 20 hours to get to Eradinus. 20. I was getting into the swing of the game and thinking it was easier than Nocturne.

Eight hours later I'm still in Eradinus. :whee:

[quote name='thelonepig']Took me 20 hours to get to Eradinus. 20. I was getting into the swing of the game and thinking it was easier than Nocturne.

Eight hours later I'm still in Eradinus. :whee:[/QUOTE]
I'm at 40 hours at the end of Eridanus, and I'm not sure what took me so long other than lots of demon source grinding. I did waste a lot of time early on recruiting any demons possible.

I'm not sure I like this game. Every time I start enjoying it, it does something to piss me off. I finally got a good neutral party together, and then I answered a question that switched me to Law.

Should I be using sources frequently, or saving them up? The in-game manual makes it sound like it is hard to get a 2nd one once you've used your first, but I did get a second one from a Pixie without even trying.

A 2nd one from the same demon? You can only get one source per demon.

I used a source every time I made a demon that was going to go in my party.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']A 2nd one from the same demon? You can only get one source per demon.

I used a source every time I made a demon that was going to go in my party.[/QUOTE]

You can only have one in stock at a time, but you can get a second from the same demon if you use the first.

EDIT: Still in Eradinus. Debating if I should walk in and try to fight the boss or run around doing monster fetch-quests for a bit to level up.

[quote name='thelonepig']You can only have one in stock at a time, but you can get a second from the same demon if you use the first.

EDIT: Still in Eradinus. Debating if I should walk in and try to fight the boss or run around doing monster fetch-quests for a bit to level up.[/QUOTE]
Really? Everything I read said you can't get a source back if you use it until new game +. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Really? Everything I read said you can't get a source back if you use it until new game +. Perhaps I misinterpreted.[/QUOTE]

Admittedly, I've not read up on it, but I did get a second source from Lilith after I used the first. I have yet to have a repeat with any other demon.

You can get a second source from the same demon, but it's much rarer. It seems to just be a rare chance when the demon levels up, akin to giving you an item/changing a skill.

There is a way to make sure you get one, if you don't mind spending the macca. Register your new demon before they first level (hence before they give you your first source) with a small amount of exp left to level. Get the source, and sometime down the line, after you've used it, if you want another, just summon the demon out of the compendium and it should give you another source on leveling.

I'd also advise using sources whenever you can. I used quite a few in my first playthrough and I still had an enormous amount of them left over. It's unfortunate, as sources don't carry over to NG+.

Finally out of Eradinus and just downed
Tiamat
. 42 hours into the game, with the MC at level 57 (IIRC).

Jimenez got himself
screwed up pretty bad.

Finally made it past Maya. Now I'm in Horologium and having a beast of a time with the first boss:
Gore

Guess I'll have to grind for a bit. Again. :)

Just got to Eradinus. Still debating on whether or not to keep playing. I could really take it or leave it at this point. The game isn't bad at all, but I'm not have that much fun with it either. I swear the only reason I beat Asura was pure luck thanks to one of his attacks (anyone who's gotten to him knows what move I am talking about). And that's just bullshit. Almost quit because of that, but somehow I beat him after a few tries. But I just don't know if it is worth my time for me to continue, as I'm just kind of listlessly playing the game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just got to Eradinus. Still debating on whether or not to keep playing. I could really take it or leave it at this point. The game isn't bad at all, but I'm not have that much fun with it either. I swear the only reason I beat Asura was pure luck thanks to one of his attacks (anyone who's gotten to him knows what move I am talking about). And that's just bullshit. Almost quit because of that, but somehow I beat him after a few tries. But I just don't know if it is worth my time for me to continue, as I'm just kind of listlessly playing the game.[/QUOTE]
I ended up calling it quits in Grus, the second half of which is a giant conveyor/teleporter maze. I could have used a walkthrough to get through it easier, but from what I gathered I was way underleveled for the endgame which would either require obsessive grinding or a perfect demon party (obsessive grinding for fusions or cash) combined with a lot of luck. So no thanks.

As much as I enjoy the SMT universe, the whole fusion aspect isn't really for me. I like fusing demons to make new ones, but I don't get into the whole customizing part with mitamas so the game ends up passing me by pretty quick.

And while I appreciate that this is not EO3, reusing the EO engine without including any sort of manual mapping for teleporters, dark corridors, etc is really ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back