Shiren the Wanderer or FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates?

Pajama_Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Shiren the Wanderer or FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates?

Oh the month of March, and here I thought Professor Layton would be my next DS game purchase but alas next coming weeks two new games will be coming out that has extremely peaked my interest.

My main excitement for Rings of Fate is it's action oriented game play and equipment switching on characters. I'll probably won't be playing multiplayer with anyone immediate but it's good to know that it will be available for solo play. I've never played the Gamecube's Crystal Chronicles.

Shiren looks exciting and wow, talk about hype! I've never really played any roguelikes before and a little concerned about the game's appeal although I am a fan of turn based strategy games.

Any thoughts on either games? Which will you be grabbing? :D

PS: Holy Cow! The NA box art for both games can compete for being the most horrid box art ever!

Mystery dungeon games aren't exciting and I'm saying this as a huge fan. If you like to collect stuff on other games you'll hate this. And penalty for dying is reset to level 1 and losing your items. Since every level in the dungeon is generated in random, I doubt gamefaqs can help you much more than provide game tips.

I can't wait for this game to arrive... where's my UPS guy.

I imagine that the single player Crystal Chronicles experience isnt that great, or at least compared to the multiplayer. Its also $40, which is a dick move by Square-Enix.

If you're new to the roguelike genre, you might try to find a copy of Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja. Probably not as robust as Shiren, but its easier. I hated it for the first 10 minutes, being new to the genre myself, but after I started dungeon crawling, I couldnt stop.

Still not too late to get Layton instead.

The EGM review mentioned for FFCC:ROF that it was more fun to play multiplayer alone over single player. You apparently get to avoid some terrible friendly AI. Also, they compared it to Diablo.

One reviewer loved it, while the other two were so-so.

I might wait for a price drop on FFCC.

[quote name='mcelfour']
One reviewer loved it, while the other two were so-so.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah if you consider B- as so-so. EGM review is crap anyway. They didn't even note if multi-player is wifi local or wifi internet.

I'm interested in FFCC:RoF also. I loved the multiplayer of the Cube game, but did not much care for the whole GC/GBA-link system itself. I'm gonna shop around and see if I can pick it up on the cheap cheap, but it may be awhile before it drops from that $40 price, especially if it sells well.:cry:

[quote name='laaj']Yeah if you consider B- as so-so. EGM review is crap anyway. They didn't even note if multi-player is wifi local or wifi internet.[/quote]

They noted there is no internet play.

[quote name='mcelfour']They noted there is no internet play.[/QUOTE]

Sigh, I missed it during my cursory look. Now I don't get why all three sort of liked this game even with crap single player.

[quote name='mcelfour']They noted there is no internet play.[/quote]
So the multiplayer will be local only? That's interesting.

If the OP is curious about roguelikes, I agree that if you can find Izuna you'll probably see her pretty cheap so I'd suggest trying that. They're pretty repetitive, and challanging if you die and lose a weapon or item that you love. I'm a packrat with certain things in my life. If I have something I love, I keep it in great condtion and cherish it. Playing roguetypes I had to learn to let that part of me go, because if I lose something great, I'll find another item in just a few minutes.

Crystal Chronicles I'm looking forward to also, but I reeeeeeally hope it's deeper than the GameCube FFCC. We enjoyed playing through, and the character designs were very cute. But it was very repetitive, for the fact that essentially you had to redo most of the dungeons, rather than give new areas to explore. And one of the characters always had to carry that crystal thing around. In solo play I think a moogle did that, but with co-op, one of the players always had to do it, and then set it down if he wanted to fight and that really limited the playing field. That cheesed me.

Wow my wallet is really going to hurt that week

Super Smash bros brawl
Final Fantasy CC
Tin man dvd
AND
Sam and Max animated series collection
fuck YOU INDUSTRY
anything else I should know about coming out that week on dvd, wii, ps2, or ds that I should know about to make my wallet cry?

Well thanks for the help guys, I went ahead and decided and grabbed Shiren new off eBay for $18.xx for now. The hype got to me but I'll keep at it.

I was looking at some videos of Izuna and it seemed pretty fun (love the attitude) and I'm thinking of grabbing it too but current prices on it are pretty high too for what I would pay for it.

Ring of Fates like many I think I'll wait till it hits near ~$30 before I jump on it, but I definitely want to grab that too.

Thanks!

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I'll be grabbing RoF, since this is probably the last DS game I'll ever play.[/QUOTE]

OK - I'll bite... why?

I wasn't trying to get someone to ask, it was just a decision I made a few months ago, back before I knew that Apollo Justice was going to have a sequel.

Just got it yesterday afternoon and have been enjoying it immensely. I was pretty worried about buying it for a while after you guys painted such a bleak picture of the game. :cry:

Hopefully more CAGs will pick it up and get going on those rescues. :)

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Just got it yesterday afternoon and have been enjoying it immensely. I was pretty worried about buying it for a while after you guys painted such a bleak picture of the game. :cry:

Hopefully more CAGs will pick it up and get going on those rescues. :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on it. Sadly most modern gamers doesn't like hard games like this

Ive been wanting to try a roguelike for a while, so I planned on snagging Shiren with the toysrus buy one get 10 bucks off ds deal. Alas they didnt have it, and apparently wont be getting it until tuesday.

I thought the game came out 2 weeks ago, but I still cant track down a copy.

[quote name='schulerbob']I thought the game came out 2 weeks ago, but I still cant track down a copy.[/QUOTE]

Looks like this title may be hard to find. Newegg.com has it for $27.99 with free 3 day shipping. That's where I got it from (first time I ordered from them) and the shipping actually only took 2 days.

[quote name='schulerbob']
I thought the game came out 2 weeks ago, but I still cant track down a copy.[/quote]

Because you aren't even trying to find it. Just to name a few place which have it on stock: Amazon, Walmart, Gamestop, Buy.com and Overstock.com.

[quote name='laaj']Because you aren't even trying to find it. Just to name a few place which have it on stock: Amazon, Walmart, Gamestop, Buy.com and Overstock.com.[/quote]

Well, none of those places by me have it. I mean, I could order it online if I was so inclined, but I just haven't.

Back on topic, Ive been enjoying the hell out of Crystal Chronicles.

[quote name='DQT']Have you tried playing multiplayer by yourself yet?[/quote]

Yea, thats all I've done, since word is the story mode sucks. And honestly just killing things for loot is enough motivation for me to plow through. I would have liked if it had online play though.

bread's done
Back