Shogun 2 Digital Version $43.52 with $15 GC

Drkirby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
While there is a topic on this sort of stuff, I didn't see anything from this offer, which gives Gift Credit for buying digital games. There are others, but I feel Shogun 2 is likely the best deal in the bunch, with the game only a little over a week old, slightly discounted, and able to be activated on Steam.

[quote name='Masquerade']Plus, if you are a steam user this game activates on it without the hassle of using Amazon's downloader.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that seems to be untrue. I see in my "Your Games Library" page of amazon a View Key button. It is disabled until I "Complete at least 1 download to see your Key".

Hopefully I'm able to activate this on steam. I expect to. I just apparently need to download it twice?

That's what I expect. Know if there's a workaround to get Amazon to display the serial key, so I don't have to download it once with amazon's installer? I'd prefer to let steam download and manage the files.

[quote name='Phokis']That's what I expect. Know if there's a workaround to get Amazon to display the serial key, so I don't have to download it once with amazon's installer? I'd prefer to let steam download and manage the files.[/QUOTE]

In response to your question, I'm pretty sure it works the same way as when I installed Metro 2033 (also a steamworks game):

1. You must download the full game via the Amazon downloader. There is no workaround to get your CD-Key.
2. Once the download is complete, go to the My games page on Amazon to reveal your code.
3. I don't remember this part too well, but I think you hit the install button on the downloader. Steam will automatically ask you for the serial code and begin the install from the files you downloaded from Amazon.
4. Once the game is installed and locked to your account, Steam takes care of the rest and you can delete the downloaded files from the amazon folder.

Hope this helps!

I downloaded this when it was at $39.99 (sadly no $15 credit). After the game is installed on Steam, you have full access to it on your Steam library. Nothing to worry about it after you make that initial download from the Amazon Game downloader.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many people are still so ignorant of how Steam works. Downloading it from Amazon does not mean Amazon's service is managing the files for this game. It will still install under Steam and Steam will manage the game files. This game requires Steam.

I have been thinking about picking this up. The deal + Steam integration makes the deal a must purchase. Thanks, OP! I definitely would have missed this one.

[quote name='shingletingle']For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many people are still so ignorant of how Steam works. Downloading it from Amazon does not mean Amazon's service is managing the files for this game. It will still install under Steam and Steam will manage the game files. This game requires Steam.[/QUOTE]

I've had games in the past that install to Program Files\HalfLife2 under a normal directory structure, which Steam then maps to. Games that download through steam end up in the Steam folder itself (under Steamapps). I was hoping to avoid installing Amazon's downloader and instead just inputting a key in steam to get the files into SteamApps\. Both ways have steam integration; it's just a matter of where files are stored in the filesystem and OCD organization.

Other games that require steam (Dawn of War 2, Empire:Total War, L4D on disc, etc) have allowed me to just enter the CD Key into steam and download the latest version of all the files. I haven't had to deal with using an "outside steam" installer, yet.

Just curious how this one would work out and where files would end up.

[quote name='shingletingle']For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many people are still so ignorant of how Steam works. Downloading it from Amazon does not mean Amazon's service is managing the files for this game. It will still install under Steam and Steam will manage the game files. This game requires Steam.[/QUOTE]

wow, maybe cause everyone isn't a steam fanboy..

.. or maybe because every publisher is trying to push its own digital download client and proprietary DRM these days..

.. or maybe because many games are getting multiple releases via different platforms with different drm restrictions..

.. or maybe because Steam itself handles different games differently..

[quote name='OmegaTyrant']In response to your question, I'm pretty sure it works the same way as when I installed Metro 2033 (also a steamworks game):

1. You must download the full game via the Amazon downloader. There is no workaround to get your CD-Key.
2. Once the download is complete, go to the My games page on Amazon to reveal your code.
3. I don't remember this part too well, but I think you hit the install button on the downloader. Steam will automatically ask you for the serial code and begin the install from the files you downloaded from Amazon.
4. Once the game is installed and locked to your account, Steam takes care of the rest and you can delete the downloaded files from the amazon folder.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]
you can just go to the amazon games and software library to see the cd key. you dont need to download the full game first.

[quote name='mn9500']you can just go to the amazon games and software library to see the cd key. you dont need to download the full game first.[/QUOTE]

That's incorrect info. I did this deal and the CD Key button was grayed out with the pop-up message: "You must complete one download before you can access the CD Key."

Starting the download with the Amazon downloader and letting it run for a bit was not enough. I had to complete the download 100% before the CD Key was available to me.

The good news is, running the Amazon downloaded files initiates a steam installer, which then "installs the game" similar to downloading it,...just much faster. All the files appear to end up in the steamapps/ folder, just as if you downloaded it.

You still need to apply a patch post install before you can play, but overall the only negative seems to be the need to install and use the Amazon Games Installer for the initial 10gig download. The service itself was reasonably fast, so the only real negative is additional software clutter.

I'd recommend this deal. It has gone up in price a bit (from 43 to 45?), but the $15 gift cert was in my email box immediately.

Also, Shogun 2 is a great game. Buggy multiplayer matchmaking, but otherwise a very fun game with no real huge problems. Feels streamlined rather than dumbed down. The simplicity of unit types really helps compared to Empire.

I was able to download this straight from Steam, getting just the key from Amazon. However, the new Dawn of War didn't work that way, as I had to wait for the download from Amazon to finish before getting my Steam key.

At one point this game was not available from Amazon temporarily. It's possible they changed it so you have to download the game before getting the key.

[quote name='Phokis']That's incorrect info. I did this deal and the CD Key button was grayed out with the pop-up message: "You must complete one download before you can access the CD Key."

Starting the download with the Amazon downloader and letting it run for a bit was not enough. I had to complete the download 100% before the CD Key was available to me.

The good news is, running the Amazon downloaded files initiates a steam installer, which then "installs the game" similar to downloading it,...just much faster. All the files appear to end up in the steamapps/ folder, just as if you downloaded it.

You still need to apply a patch post install before you can play, but overall the only negative seems to be the need to install and use the Amazon Games Installer for the initial 10gig download. The service itself was reasonably fast, so the only real negative is additional software clutter.

I'd recommend this deal. It has gone up in price a bit (from 43 to 45?), but the $15 gift cert was in my email box immediately.

Also, Shogun 2 is a great game. Buggy multiplayer matchmaking, but otherwise a very fun game with no real huge problems. Feels streamlined rather than dumbed down. The simplicity of unit types really helps compared to Empire.[/QUOTE]

thats weird, i was able to get it to show me the full cd key without even downloading a single byte of the amazon downloader.

Back on today for $40.57 and still includes the $15 game credit! The cd key is visable immediately in "Your Games Library" after clicking on the "View Key" button. Downloading 1st time thru Steam now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look like the digital version comes with the limited edition stuff. Anyone who's purchased that can confirm?

[quote name='starkillr']It doesn't look like the digital version comes with the limited edition stuff. Anyone who's purchased that can confirm?[/QUOTE]
that is correct. its not the limited edition so you dont get the bonus content.

[quote name='mn9500']that is correct. its not the limited edition so you dont get the bonus content.[/QUOTE]

Is the bonus content worth the extra $15 or so bucks?

Just fyi, and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but gogamer.com has the limited edition of Shogun II right now for $33.90. Although, it's currently OOS, so it might be worth it to keep checking back. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case ppl didn't see that deal.

Thanks for the heads up on this, OP. To the others, I was able to see the activation key on Amazon's site without having to download the game first. Go figure.

Tempting, but I refuse to buy games from Creative Assembly until they start to treat their customers like they should and not release half-baked games that may (Medieval 2) or may not (Empire) be ever patched to be actually playable. Rome is still the best game in the series and this is after three new games, two huge expansion packs and numerous DLCs.

Too good to pass up... Especially since I have a lot of credit on Amazon. Now I just need to make sure I play it before Steam puts up a crazy deal on it.

Also for those wondering, I purchased it, clicked on Download later, went to my software page and clicked on the View Product Key button and got the key immediately.

Installing through Steam now.

bread's done
Back