Shopping Morality Thread

I live by one rule only: if the system/manager allows it, then fair game. You can bring morality into the equation if you wish, but at the end of the day you answer to nobody but yourself. If someone wants to scold you for doing something they find shady, that's their problem: not yours.

I live by one rule only: if the system/manager allows it, then fair game. You can bring morality into the equation if you wish, but at the end of the day you answer to nobody but yourself. If someone wants to scold you for doing something they find shady, that's their problem: not yours.
I guess the question then is if you don't feel any responsibility to apply morality to shopping, do you apply it to anything else, and is that acceptable? Not trying to take a side here, just generally curious.

If you return a game purchased at Wal-Mart to Target, knowing it's technically fraud, would you commit other crimes as long as no one knew to stop you?

Would it be ethical to buy a game from one walmart at a higher price, then go to another walmart, return it there and rebuy it there at the lower price they have?

What are your all's thoughts and opinions on breaking bundles to get the individual pieces at a cheaper price? 

On many thrift store runs, I have encountered many incomplete bundles that they sell. 

Sometimes they are obviously donated with pieces already missing.  Dance Dance Revolution pads, Guitar Hero/Rockband instruments without the dongle, etc. 

On other occasions, I have seen torn open plastic/purposefully damaged items. 

Some of these incomplete bundles are like dvd television boxsets missing a dvd case, video game boxed accessory bundle missing the game, and so forth.

Let's say video games and other disc based media.  My local thrift store sells them at an individual price and on occasion depending on what it is sells bundles at a somewhat higher price.

The sad part is that if all thrift stores are like my local thrift store, there are occasionally discount days.  Meaning you could get things even cheaper.

In my opinion, it is still theft to break a bundle at a thrift store that a thrift store is selling as a bundle in order to get it cheaper. 

To simply this in an example:  A local thrift store is selling Mario Kart Wii with the steering wheel for $5.  Is it really okay to break open the bundle and take out Mario Kart Wii in order to pay $2, just for the game? 

It just grinds my gears that someone has the gall to do something like that.  It is a morality issue to me because I feel I would have a PS4/Switch/Xbox One by now, if maybe I had a lesser sense of morality.

Reminds me of a long time ago at my local Kmart where Wing Commander for the Gameboy Advance was on clearance for like $5 and someone still had the nerve to steal it.

Would it be ethical to buy a game from one walmart at a higher price, then go to another walmart, return it there and rebuy it there at the lower price they have?
Why would you buy a higher-priced copy, only to return it to another store and rebuy a new copy lower?

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Uniqlo for t-shirts. Although I picked up a 3 pack of t-shirts in Korea which were far superior in fit and material than the US version. Theres about an entire size difference between the two Im a US small, Korean medium

3.5yrs later...

So Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch) is out of print and expensive to buy, and not on Eshop. I signed up for Gamefly and currently have it at my house. There is no option to "Keep". What would likely happen if I cancel and never return the game? I'm 100% good with being charged $60 for not returning it.

3.5yrs later...

So Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch) is out of print and expensive to buy, and not on Eshop. I signed up for Gamefly and currently have it at my house. There is no option to "Keep". What would likely happen if I cancel and never return the game? I'm 100% good with being charged $60 for not returning it.
In my opinion, don't sully your name and burn that bridge with Gamefly for about $20. Go look at places like Ebay where you can get a used complete copy for $60 to $100.

Personally, I am also looking for that title. I have been wondering why it is no longer listed on Gamestop's website?

I will probably end up buying the import version or worst, getting cartridge only and printing my own cover art.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back