Should Game Store employees offer "this game sucks" advice?

dont rag on all gamestop employees, and personally i dont give a shit if someone buys a bad game i just laugh at them when the walk out the store. Personally im more set on getting reserves and subscptions so i can hit my daily quotas then tring to tell some guy to buy another game because this one sucks. Ill say something if they ask but if they dont ask then im off pressing people to get reserves so i dont get fired. So the next time you are at gs and they ask you if you want to reverve something just think that someones job could depend on your reserve. And most of the time if you are civil about things then most employees will give you something out of the freebie drawer.

[quote name='InuFaye']dont rag on all gamestop employees, and personally i dont give a shit if someone buys a bad game i just laugh at them when the walk out the store. Personally im more set on getting reserves and subscptions so i can hit my daily quotas then tring to tell some guy to buy another game because this one sucks. Ill say something if they ask but if they dont ask then im off pressing people to get reserves so i dont get fired. So the next time you are at gs and they ask you if you want to reverve something just think that someones job could depend on your reserve. And most of the time if you are civil about things then most employees will give you something out of the freebie drawer.[/QUOTE]

Awww, porbrecito doesn't like people saying that people in his position are assholes, when he admits to being an asshole ("i just laugh at them"), and also attempts to shift blame (the "it's not me, it's my job" diversionary tactic).

I think the more masculine response, in this case, is "eat a dick."

EDIT: Full disclosure: I don't trade things in. I hope you lose your job.

The EB and GS I go to, all the employees will just say, oh game rankings gave it this....like it's a bible. A number means nothing. I like plenty games that didn't score too well...

I tell people if a game is terrible or generally has had poor reviews and opinions from gamers. I also insist that they try the game for at least 5 min before wasting their money and steer them towards something better.

Unfortunately, 90% of the time, people still want the lowrider game, or some need for speed game, or NFL gameday 2002. So it doesn't really matter, because if someone wants a game that sucks, they'll usually still buy it, unfortunately. That's been my experience, but my store is kind of in a white trash sort of town where people just see the title "Big mutha truckers" and get excited, so not much you can do to help that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Awww, porbrecito doesn't like people saying that people in his position are assholes, when he admits to being an asshole ("i just laugh at them"), and also attempts to shift blame (the "it's not me, it's my job" diversionary tactic).

I think the more masculine response, in this case, is "eat a dick."

EDIT: Full disclosure: I don't trade things in. I hope you lose your job.[/QUOTE]

I hope you burn in hell. You are one serious asshole who doesent deserve to live and needs to be shot. You are the asshole because. 1. Laughing at someone for being stupid isint being an asshole. And i never attempted to shift blame. So why dont you just go shove a huge dick up your ass and call it a day.

I think the difference between gamecrazy and gamestop in this matter is our store (gamecrazy) is set up to have demo units around the store which people can try games in. At gamestop, the employee might say it sucks or whatever, but they can't let people play it for a short bit before buying to find out on their own. I can say "This game wasn't very well liked and I heard it had lots of glitches and control issues" and let the person find out for themselves. Gamestop can't offer that.

Thats why I feel more comfortable telling people when a game is bad. If they still like it, their problem, not mine. They can't come back the next day wanting a refund and claim I didn't say how bad the game was.

[quote name='InuFaye']I hope you burn in hell. You are one serious asshole who doesent deserve to live and needs to be shot. You are the asshole because. 1. Laughing at someone for being stupid isint being an asshole.[/QUOTE]

Your concept of "stupidity" is subjective. You cannot, thus, claim to not be an asshole b/c people are failing to meet your standards (after all, you are judging them by your standards, rather than some exact measure of stupidity regarding game likes and dislikes).

And i never attempted to shift blame.

Do you need a refresher of something you wrote ten minutes ago? Jesus, kiddo:

Ill say something if they ask but if they dont ask then im off pressing people to get reserves so i dont get fired. So the next time you are at gs and they ask you if you want to reverve something just think that someones job could depend on your reserve.

If this isn't the "I'm just doing my job, it's my responsibility to pressure people into sales, and thus it's not my fault but the people who make me do this" piss-your-pants kind of excuse, then what precisely is it?

So why dont you just go shove a huge dick up your ass and call it a day.

That's just breakfast, baby!

[quote name='InuFaye']Laughing at someone for being stupid isint being an asshole.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I kind of disagree on this one. I'm pretty sure that the next time the short bus drives by and you start cracking up in front of your friends chances are one of them will think you are an asshole.

When I worked at Target I just told the parents to rent the game first and make sure that it was something the kids wanted and that they wanted their kids playing. I also made sure to point out the ESRB ratings. This was back in 97-98 and no parent knew about it back then.

Bottom line is, gamestop sucks and doesn't tell people when the games they buy suck. Go to eb or gamecrazy.

;)

[quote name='jer7583']Bottom line is, gamestop sucks and doesn't tell people when the games they buy suck. Go to eb or gamecrazy.

;)[/QUOTE]

Gamestop owns eb and all ebs are turning into gamestops so you can just shove that idea up your ass and, and some people dont like our opinions and just want to get the game and dont want to be told about it. If you ask for my advice i will surely give it to you but im not gonna go off and blantly try and get you to buy another game.

A store clerk's job is to move product, and telling a customer not to buy something they obviously want isn't helping the store's bottom line. Of course, this was much easier to deal with a few years ago when customers could return games they didn't like for a full refund at Gamestop, EB Games, etc.

Of course, it's the customer's responsibility to make informed purchasing decisions, and if they want to buy a game that got less than stellar reviews, that's their prerogative. They might be buying it because they love the genre, have all the games in the series or simply because it's cheap.

Unless a customer specifically asks for a clerk's opinion, most clerks should probably keep their opinions to themselves. Most clerks I've dealt with have been smug know-it-all fanboys whose opinions I wouldn't want anyway.

[quote name='jer7583']Bottom line is, gamestop sucks and doesn't tell people when the games they buy suck. Go to eb or gamecrazy.[/QUOTE]

Yea, because EB is that much better? The staff at the one I went to was telling this guy that Katamari Damacy sucks, and his $20 could be spent on something better, I think he was trying to get him to buy Getaway: Black Monday.

bread's done
Back