Should I? A BC PS3 for $150.

shajek

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I finally got my 360 less than a month ago, and now I have an opportunity to get an 80Gb Backwards Compatible PS3 with two controllers for $150.

Should I? Or is this a no-brainer question?

I spent $500 for the same thing a year ago (no second controller, but came with mgs4) so I say yes. I usually play 360 because I like its online better and my brother has one, but there are a few ps3 exclusives that make it a worthwhile purchase: Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, God of War, ... And the motion controller coming out later this year is going to be amazing!

i did the same as lilman, just make sure you test run it for a bit before you hand over the cash. you might want to consider to upgrading the hard drive as well if you see yourself buying a lot of psn games or ps3 games that take up a lot with their game data (ex: bioshock, mgs4, dmc4)

Yeahh. Great deal. I just spent $150 to REPAIR my BC PS3, and $500 two years ago to buy one, so yes - stellar deal.

Just make sure it works, like others have said.

Jump on that as long as it works. I have one that I bought at best buy 2 yrs ago and love it just for the BC.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but isn't the original 60GB model the only one that's truly backwards compatible? I'mma hafta hop over to wikipedia to settle this...

Like the South Korean and European models, the North American 80 GB (2007) model also excludes the PlayStation 2 "Emotion Engine" CPU chip.[76] However, it still keeps the "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU.[81] Due to the elimination of the "Emotion Engine", the level of compatibility was reduced.[76] The 40 GB, 80 GB (2008), and 160 GB models have two USB ports instead of the four USB ports on other models, and do not include multiple flash card readers, SACD support,[82] or any backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games.[19][76] This was due to the removal of "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU, which stripped the units of all PlayStation 2 based hardware.

So, It does have backwards compatibility, but with an emulator and not the real engine, which reduces the number of games you can use it with.

As a person who has had a 60GB since launch, I will say that playing PS2 games on a PS3 is way way super-overrated. Once you're playing next-gen games, it's almost sad playing the old ones. I never do it anymore. Just my $.02

[quote name='plong']Maybe I'm imagining things, but isn't the original 60GB model the only one that's truly backwards compatible? I'mma hafta hop over to wikipedia to settle this...[/QUOTE]

The 60GB is the only one with full backwards compatibility due to it having the PS2 Emotion chipset, but the 80GB MGS edition does have software emulation backwards compatability... I have the MGS one too. The blu ray lense is supposed to last longer than the ones on the 60GB.

[quote name='lilman']I spent $500 for the same thing a year ago (no second controller, but came with mgs4) so I say yes. I usually play 360 because I like its online better and my brother has one, but there are a few ps3 exclusives that make it a worthwhile purchase: Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, God of War, ... And the motion controller coming out later this year is going to be amazing![/QUOTE]

Says the CAG with the sleeping Wii.

I'd take it but only if you really do see yourself playing any PS2 games. And, like others have said, invest in a larger HDD if you do see yourself using your PS3 to store pics, movies, downloadable games, etc.

2 words " HELL YEAH " . and even if you decide you dont want it you can totally have a fellow cag bring it off your hands ...cough...cough...ME

Depends on if you can wire the thing without it being a hassle. If you can then go for it. Of course, you lose out on ad-hoc party, remote play, and the like, but that only matters if you want to use the feature or not.

Definitely. Then pick up a 120gb or so hard drive off Newegg and you just got yourself a nice backwards compatible ps3 for $200. Is wifi absolutely necesary for your set up?

I would pick up a new Slim instead. I know that is easy for me to say, but I just do not trust used consoles. If you are going to invest this much into an item, I would rather pay a little more, get it new with a warranty then to buy it used, leaving you SOL if it breaks soon after.

If it was an older system that can be bought cheaply used, like a Dreamcast, obviously, go for it. If it breaks, so be it. But $150 is a lot of money to take a chance with IMO.

[quote name='jirotokio']The 60GB is the only one with full backwards compatibility due to it having the PS2 Emotion chipset, but the 80GB MGS edition does have software emulation backwards compatability... I have the MGS one too. The blu ray lense is supposed to last longer than the ones on the 60GB.[/QUOTE]

Not true. 60gb is not 100% bc as I had one before getting rid of it after it got the ylod. Anyways, to play the guitar hero games you have to get an adapter for it which isn't fully compatible and it doesn't work with some of the ddr games and using other games don't fully work. So it'll play a basic game like god of war, but to play games with accessories like ddr you will encounter problems so be careful.

[quote name='Anhmeister']Depends on if you can wire the thing without it being a hassle. If you can then go for it. Of course, you lose out on ad-hoc party, remote play, and the like, but that only matters if you want to use the feature or not.[/QUOTE]

How hard is it to get a router and put an ethernet cable into it? It's what I do.

[quote name='mitch079']How hard is it to get a router and put an ethernet cable into it? It's what I do.[/QUOTE]

Distance. Some people have their consoles pretty far away from their PCs.

Even if he needs WiFi, you can pick up a wireless gaming adapter for less than $100. Before I moved my router so I could hook up my 20 GB PS3 directly to it, I used one of these and it worked a treat.

bread's done
Back