Should I be angry at hoarders?

Vader582

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I went to a Best Buy to tool around at lunch. While I was there I noticed a guy going through all the game guides in the store. I looked at his basket and knew exactly what he was doing. He was buying every $0.01 game guide he could get his hands on. No doubt he will turn around and sell these guides on ebay or hell even trade them here. In any case, I found myself extremely irritated and cursing to myself, "Damn hoarder". When I think about it though, this guy is not really doing anything against me, but I find the hoarding practice distasteful. If this guy didn't do it, someone else would...but yet this still rubs me as going against justice and fairness.
Of course, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't just take something because it's free. If I can use the item or want it, I'll take it. But I know there are a lot of people who take whatever free item is available; even if they don't use or have a need for said free item. Is my sense of fairness too strict? Is it foolish to feel angry at someone who is working the system? Just looking for thoughts here and some interesting discussion. :)

Here's how I see it, if you can ask that guy for a guide that he has multiples of and he lets you purchase it instead of being an ass and saying no, I wouldn't hate the guy.
I hate hoarders myself, and I hate the philosophy of if I don't do it someone else will. It still doesn't make it right.

business is business i dont hate on anyone who has the sense to jump on a deal and flip it to work to their advantage. i personally only take what i need for myself and th eonly time ill buy more than one is if im getting one for someone else since im not one of those people who collects 2 games ( 1 to play one to keep).

it can be frustrating when you try and get in on a good deal to complete a collection or something only to find everything gone but first come first serve. reminds me of a time when this local comic shop was having troubles( the guy who ran it had a drug problem) long story short damn near everything was priced to sell within months. 50 dollar animation cells selling for 5 bucks 2 and 5 dollar comics going for a quater. i loaded up bigtime mostly for myself and some for a friend of mine who also collected comics.

[quote name='lokizz']business is business i dont hate on anyone who has the sense to jump on a deal and flip it to work to their advantage. i personally only take what i need for myself and th eonly time ill buy more than one is if im getting one for someone else since im not one of those people who collects 2 games ( 1 to play one to keep).

it can be frustrating when you try and get in on a good deal to complete a collection or something only to find everything gone but first come first serve. reminds me of a time when this local comic shop was having troubles( the guy who ran it had a drug problem) long story short damn near everything was priced to sell within months. 50 dollar animation cells selling for 5 bucks 2 and 5 dollar comics going for a quater. i loaded up bigtime mostly for myself and some for a friend of mine who also collected comics.[/quote]But I'm guessing you enjoyed most of those comics yourself and didn't sell/trade them off. In contrast, this guy at BB had at least 6 copies of the Gears of War guide. Ain't too much you can do with 6 copies of the same book.:lol:

Rocko, what do you end up doing with duplicate guides? Just curious...

I don't hoard myself, but it's hard to find any true fault with them. They've done nothing wrong, legally or morally.

[quote name='Vader582']I went to a Best Buy to tool around at lunch. While I was there I noticed a guy going through all the game guides in the store. I looked at his basket and knew exactly what he was doing. He was buying every $0.01 game guide he could get his hands on. No doubt he will turn around and sell these guides on ebay or hell even trade them here. In any case, I found myself extremely irritated and cursing to myself, "Damn hoarder". When I think about it though, this guy is not really doing anything against me, but I find the hoarding practice distasteful. If this guy didn't do it, someone else would...but yet this still rubs me as going against justice and fairness.
Of course, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't just take something because it's free. If I can use the item or want it, I'll take it. But I know there are a lot of people who take whatever free item is available; even if they don't use or have a need for said free item. Is my sense of fairness too strict? Is it foolish to feel angry at someone who is working the system? Just looking for thoughts here and some interesting discussion. :)[/QUOTE]

Was he old or young or ... ? I was at the Big Lots off of Broad and they told me some guy came and bought a bunch of those $5 computer games to sell. I guess some people see buying guides for a penny and selling it for 4 bucks or so a good living.

[quote name='bradr']Was he old or young or ... ? I was at the Big Lots off of Broad and they told me some guy came and bought a bunch of those $5 computer games to sell. I guess some people see buying guides for a penny and selling it for 4 bucks or so a good living.[/quote]Young-ish white guy, dark baseball cap, goatee. I was over at the Chesterfield Towne Center BB. Now that you mention it though, I noticed he was over in the software section, going through the non-boxed software. Hrm...could be the same guy making his rounds I guess.:lol:

Usually when I see people on RFD gloating about turning a small profit on a deal through hoarding, I just feel sorry for them instead of getting mad.

If you need to make for a living flipping penny guides and clearanced games, without leaving scrap for people who would actually use the items... have fun?

It depends, if it is someone like Rocko who pretty much buys them and sells them at very little profit to people on CAG. I think that is alright. Now if someone is buying them and then selling them at full price on ebay, that is a different thing.

I have no problem with people buying 2-3 copies of something if they seem to legitimately be getting it for friends or whatever, but if I were to see some dude in best buy buying like 12 copies of some game and rubbing his hands together giggling with glee I'd probably take offense to that. Especially if it were something I was looking for.

So yeah, if you buy a few games at a clearance I'd have no problem with it. Walking up to the register with 47 copies of a super rare mispriced game that'd fetch top dollar on ebay, I'd probably be a little upset.

[quote name='Vader582']But I'm guessing you enjoyed most of those comics yourself and didn't sell/trade them off. In contrast, this guy at BB had at least 6 copies of the Gears of War guide. Ain't too much you can do with 6 copies of the same book.:lol:

Rocko, what do you end up doing with duplicate guides? Just curious...[/quote]

oh hell no i kept my comics over 2000 of those bad boys taking up space as we speak. but i see both sides of the hoarding thing it sucks when they buy up all the sale stuff and mark up the price later but i do respect that kind of business sense. i wouldnt do it since like i said i only buy the games i like and would replay or if theyre really cheap ill buy some im curious about like aeon flux which is an ok game. same for jaws.

Hoarding sucks, hoarders really suck, but some posters above are right...perhaps I should pity them more than loathe them.

Nah.

selling penny guides sounds tedious. I'd have more pity than hate for them...

unless it's pennied Nocturne guides. then I'd be envious.

[quote name='Vader582']Young-ish white guy, dark baseball cap, goatee. I was over at the Chesterfield Towne Center BB. Now that you mention it though, I noticed he was over in the software section, going through the non-boxed software. Hrm...could be the same guy making his rounds I guess.:lol:[/QUOTE]

I think I found him selling the stuff on Amazon, it's a seller from Richmond with GOW guide, Zelda, Pokemon and some type of Prima Unauthorized game guide. He's selling them for $8-$17 a piece so maybe it's not such a bad profit. He's got a bunch of videogames and DVDs and computer games for sale too. I'll keep my eyes peeled, see if I notice someone like that when I'm out (was he large, or skinny?).

I don't have a problem with hoarders - take advantage of a deal if you can. Buy up every copy - I don't care. What I don't understand is the people who may want to buy up multiple copies of a game to make some extra money but they think, "nah, I'll leave them there for someone who really wants to play it." If someone really wants to play something then they can go out and pay for it. If the last 50 copies went to some "hoarder" who is now selling them for $100 a pop then either pay up or look a little harder for the game at retail.

[quote name='bradr']I think I found him selling the stuff on Amazon, it's a seller from Richmond with GOW guide, Zelda, Pokemon and some type of Prima Unauthorized game guide. He's selling them for $8-$17 a piece so maybe it's not such a bad profit. He's got a bunch of videogames and DVDs and computer games for sale too. I'll keep my eyes peeled, see if I notice someone like that when I'm out (was he large, or skinny?).[/quote]Hrm...got a link? PM me if you like. He was about 6' I guess, medium build (not fat but not skinny). Sounds like the stuff the guy had in his basket.

You should not only be angry at hoarders but you should be angry at everyone else as well. Sort out the people who arent assholes later.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't have a problem with hoarders - take advantage of a deal if you can. Buy up every copy - I don't care. What I don't understand is the people who may want to buy up multiple copies of a game to make some extra money but they think, "nah, I'll leave them there for someone who really wants to play it." If someone really wants to play something then they can go out and pay for it. If the last 50 copies went to some "hoarder" who is now selling them for $100 a pop then either pay up or look a little harder for the game at retail.[/quote]

And chances are most of the clearanced games can be found in abundance at discounted prices before they are dumped for pennies on the dollar. If you constantly wait until the very last second to get the best possible deal, you run the risk of missing out every once in a while.

[quote name='paddlefoot']And chances are most of the clearanced games can be found in abundance at discounted prices before they are dumped for pennies on the dollar. If you constantly wait until the very last second to get the best possible deal, you run the risk of missing out every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Bravo to you and Javeryh. As with most things in life, it's first come first served. Don't get mad at them because you were too slow to get in on the deal. I've lost many deals this way, thems the breaks. I'm not going to worry about it or cry.

So you miss out on a penny guide, are they really that more expensive to get online?

Also, it's funny how people here make fun of the hoarders for flipping items for little profit. You must have good paying jobs then. And if that's the case then shouldn't you be able to afford the guide when it came out instead of waiting for a deal that may not happen? And it could be their line of work. Online stores via Ebay or Amazon are valid forms of retail. Plus they probably own their own business so they don't have to put up with a boss like most of us do. Either way, it's not much different from other retailers like BB, CC, etc. They but items at a low cost and mark it up for us to buy. Why don't we yell at them too? We should have the opportunity to buy cheap from the publishers! But the retailers won't let us. Damn them to hell.

That last bit sound stupid? Maybe the hoarder complaints are too.

Give me a break.

bread's done
Back