Should I bite?

bobo2k4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Hey Cags,

I have 200 in GS credit and just got an email about getting 100 credit towards a PS3 if I trade in my old ps2.
Is 300 bucks a pretty good deal for a brand new PS3?

I wouldn't go for it unless there are games available that you just need to play right now. The price might even drop by the time the true killer apps come out for the system (MGS4, GTA4, FFXIII).

Personally, I say go for it. Even if it drops, there's no way it'd be below $500. If you think you'll ever want the system and have $300 to spare, might as well take the hit now and have it cheap. Even if you don't use it that much for awhile, you'll be glad to have it once the games DO start coming out, and you won't have to shell out $500+ for it.

It's a trap!

Seriously, I say go for it. garfep is right, 300 is the best deal you will see for a while. Sony seems to be very slow at price drops.

Yea even if there is a price drop there is no way it will fall under 500 or even 550.
There really isn't anything I want on the PS3 but it seems like a fair price.

I did plan on using the credit on a wii but from the looks of the lineup there isn't anything worth waiting for.

[quote name='Kendro']I wouldn't go for it unless there are games available that you just need to play right now. The price might even drop by the time the true killer apps come out for the system (MGS4, GTA4, FFXIII).[/QUOTE]

There is no way that price drop will bring the system below $300.

I would buy one for $300 in an instant. I say go for it OP.

I also say go for it. Good deal after the credit. If you are going to use it as a Blu-Ray player it is even a better deal.

I am in the same boat. I have $300 best buy gift card and was thinking of either getting a 360, PS3, or DS Lite. I may just buy the non-nintendo systems at Costco because of their in store warranty.

[quote name='rodeojones903']There is no way that price drop will bring the system below $300.

I would buy one for $300 in an instant. I say go for it OP.[/quote]
True but you are acting as if he is getting a PS3 for $300 which isn't the case. That $200 in store credit is still real money which can be used to purchase other goods. In other words, if he buys a PS3 now or 6 months from now, there will always be the $200 in store credit to knock the price down.

I'd take a wait and see approach to the PS3 as right now there aren't any real killer apps and if you want to buy movies on Blu-Ray, you're gonna shell out $25-30ish a pop. If you have the extra $$$$ to spare and don't mind doing that sort of thing, it's not a bad deal, but still, you're getting rid of your PS2 and GS credit and STILL have to pay $300 plus tax for it. That's STILL ALOT of money/credit to shell out.

I mean, as 62t said, you won't get that much for a PS2 after the trade deal ends, but look at what else you have to give up WITH it for that $100. I believe the deal is 2 controllers(and I think they said Sony brand only), the system and a memory card. I'm not sure if it said anything about including games though. Think of it this way, they sell the system for $100, they sell the controllers USED for $19.99 and I believe the memory cards go for the same.

So, they're ass raping you and making $40 on that 'deal', unless of course you wound the wires around your controller and they have the infamous detached wires that makes them unresponsive about once every 30 seconds, thus making them completely useless for anyone.

Either way, it IS your decision ultimately, but this is NOT a 'deal' imo. Now, if you found out trade values for FYE and found out which last gen games got $10+ per copy and had enough FYE's around to load up with enough for a PS3's worth of credit, THEN that's a deal, especially if those games were bought from GS for $2-3 each.

I did that to get a PS2 and I'm just glad I kept going out of state for work alot, so I got to hit new FYE's and build my credit like crazy.

Again though, final decision is down to you, but I would honestly take a wait and see approach considering their PS2 failure rate last gen. I'd see if the PS3 really IS as 'well made' as everyone claims it to be.

I just traded in my old Xbox this week and got a whopping $33 for it. I tried to sell it here for a couple of weeks, and didn't even get a single PM for it. Sure, the PS2 is sticking around better than the Xbox, but still, $100 for a last-gen system is a very good deal - especially since you're not losing any functionality when you pickup the PS3 (w/ the newest controller adapter, even GH2 works on the PS3 now).

I play my PS3 reguarly and use the blu-ray player quite a bit. The Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo is incredible, and that hits in June. Then there's Lair in July, and the floodgates open after that. Not to mention downloadable games. I say go for it, that's a great deal.

bread's done
Back