Should i buy a PS3??

RoYz UhMaZinG

CAGiversary!
Hey I really need some opinions if i should buy PS3. What are some pros and cons about the PS3 console ? Are there any good games for the PS3?

This topic has been beaten to death already a bazillion time.
Also, do you really want random people online telling you how to spend your money?
If so, I want a new car.
Thanks,
wbc1228

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Like the commercials say " It only does EVERYTHING "

well......except for making you waffles[/QUOTE]

I know, mine only makes pancakes and eggs! Waffles will be in the FW 3.2345 update, or so I heard.

Yes, definitely get one. I use mine much more than my 360, both as a BR player and as a game system.

Plus, with R&C and Uncharted exclusives, you cannot go wrong.

Yes.

It's the most versatile console, plus it has great exclusives and right now the price is quite cheap if you consider everything you get

I think Free gaming online and Trophies is a huge plus. And Web Browsing. And BluRay. And DVD's. Netflix. Your Mom. It Does EVERYTHING!!!!!

Do you have an HDTV to play one on? Can you afford games + the system? If not, and you are late to the game, the PS2 is probably the best value in gaming at the moment (cheapest route with plenty of quality titles).

But if you can afford it and have a great TV to play it on (and the time to play it of course), go for it.

[quote name='antlp89']Do you have an HDTV to play one on? Can you afford games + the system? If not, and you are late to the game, the PS2 is probably the best value in gaming at the moment (cheapest route with plenty of quality titles).

But if you can afford it and have a great TV to play it on (and the time to play it of course), go for it.[/QUOTE]

It plays just as well on in SD. And If you have an LCD moniter that support HDCP then just get a DVI to HDMI cable and go nuts. And if you have a super nice girlfriend like I do, she'll buy you a 500GB HDD to match that nice new little piece of hardware.

PSone games. PSmini's. Themes. Downloadable TV shows. Wireless card built in. You seriously can't go wrong. I still stand by my last post by saying that not having to be burdened with paying to play is a huge factor.

[quote name='antlp89']Do you have an HDTV to play one on? Can you afford games + the system? If not, and you are late to the game, the PS2 is probably the best value in gaming at the moment (cheapest route with plenty of quality titles).

But if you can afford it and have a great TV to play it on (and the time to play it of course), go for it.[/QUOTE]

There's absolutely nothing wrong with SD you dolt.

First of all, are there any exclusives you are dying to play? Then definitely you get it.

One other thing, the blu-ray discs are scratch resistant, so used games work great! I had all kinds of problems with used games on the original xbox, if there was an imaginary scratch on those things, the game stopped working after 5 minutes.

Plenty of great titles with more to come. Well built and very customizable plus the price finally makes it very competitive with :360: and :wii:. If you have means to purchase I highly recommend.

[quote name='GTmaster39']It plays just as well on in SD. And If you have an LCD moniter that support HDCP then just get a DVI to HDMI cable and go nuts. And if you have a super nice girlfriend like I do, she'll buy you a 500GB HDD to match that nice new little piece of hardware.

PSone games. PSmini's. Themes. Downloadable TV shows. Wireless card built in. You seriously can't go wrong. I still stand by my last post by saying that not having to be burdened with paying to play is a huge factor.[/QUOTE]

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-NEW-BLACK-...temQQptZComputer_Monitors?hash=item4a9da8771a

If you have 200 extra bucks, get that as well. Looks just as good as a HDTV

[quote name='DPsx7']There's absolutely nothing wrong with SD you dolt.[/QUOTE]

SD makes my eyes bleed. Seriously. I made the mistake of watching an NBA game on my parents' SDTV and I literally couldn't figure out what was going on on the court.

Right now, I'd wait and see what transpires with Sony and their attempt to now charge a premium for an "upgrade" to their online service. Online gaming will still be free, but the Premium service will have other options (some you might like, some you might not). Looks like they've taken a que from MS and their Silver/Gold Memberships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I use my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. I do my gaming on my 360.

Over Winter vacation, I played Modern Warfare 2 on my sister's PS3...the PSN online experience was horrible. It took forever to find games (during Winter Break? wtf?), players kept dropping out of games, and everyone insisted on using their Bluetooth headsets to let everyone know what music they like, or what was going on in their house.

[quote name='mikochu']Sadly, I use my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. I do my gaming on my 360.
............. players kept dropping out of games, and everyone insisted on using their Bluetooth headsets to let everyone know what music they like, or what was going on in their house.[/QUOTE]

If you have a 360 then you of all people should know that 360 owners can be just as annoying. Try bitching about something else.

The question isn't "Should you buy a PS3?" my friend the real question is rather "Why should you not buy a PS3?".

It only does everything without breaking too often.

[quote name='GTmaster39']If you have a 360 then you of all people should know that 360 owners can be just as annoying. Try bitching about something else.[/QUOTE]

That's true...but I haven't noticed any annoyances on XBL lately.

[quote name='mikochu']That's true...but I haven't noticed any annoyances on XBL lately.[/QUOTE]

I agree also. It use to be riddled with Racists, ***holes and a ridiculous amount of kids under 12 playing Mature rated games (nothing wrong with that, but some of them can be pretty annoying). They seem to be cleaning it up lately (for how long remains to be seen). They really need to get rid of the party chat feature. I'm for the notion that if you are playing with someone you should only be talking to that person (or people in the game).

I'm a new owner, but on PS3 it just seems people do not talk alot and just play the game (with the exception of the "I'm smoking a Blunt" reference I hear every now and then). On the PS3 people, they take reporting someone somewhat seriously, hence why there doesn't seem to be a problem.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']I agree also. It use to be riddled with Racists, ***holes and a ridiculous amount of kids under 12 playing Mature rated games (nothing wrong with that, but some of them can be pretty annoying). They seem to be cleaning it up lately (for how long remains to be seen). They really need to get rid of the party chat feature. I'm for the notion that if you are playing with someone you should only be talking to that person (or people in the game).

I'm a new owner, but on PS3 it just seems people do not talk alot and just play the game (with the exception of the "I'm smoking a Blunt" reference I hear every now and then). On the PS3 people, they take reporting someone somewhat seriously, hence why there doesn't seem to be a problem.[/QUOTE]

When you get right down to it. Before the PS3 price drop. You had a $300 xbox, and a $600 PS3. Where are all the assholes going to go, and where are the serious gamers going to go? It's simple. And to this day, I can go on any Halo, MW2, L4D public ranked match and still hear people blaring music and being total racists, and god forbid a female joins the match then all hell breaks loose. All this behavior comes from everywhere, and I'm not going to say that PS3 is an exception by any means. But don't outright say PS3 is awful because of it. It just makes you sound like more of a fanboy then you already are. If you don't like what you hear then play a private match with your friends.

This is not aimed at you Space Cowboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
tumblr_kpr50oLmrI1qz72boo1_500.jpg

you tell me

[quote name='pacifickarma']SD makes my eyes bleed. Seriously. I made the mistake of watching an NBA game on my parents' SDTV and I literally couldn't figure out what was going on on the court.[/QUOTE]

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: As someone who was raised in the era of 4-5 local tv channels and having to fumble with rabbit ears on my tv to get the channels to come in halfway decent, I have become spoiled by cable tv and the choices there.

However, HD is still only worth it if you give a shit about it. I(and many others) don't. So while your eyes may bleed figuratively from watching anything in SD, many of us are very happy gaming old school style with our SDtvs and our PS3's.

That goes out to every one of your snobs who feel that you have to preach about 'how can anyone stand SD'. Some of us are actually happy with not having to shell out more money for a prettier picture. :razz:

/rant

As for the OP's question, they should get a PS3 only if they have fully researched the games they're interested in and considering getting the system for. If they haven't researched the games the system has, then they should do that and really answer their own question, as opposed to listening to biased opinions from people on a random internet board.

If I made my decision to get a PS3 in 2008 based on opinions on here and elsewhere on the net, I would've probably been disgusted with it and traded it by now since most of the 'zomg exclusives' are wayyyyyyy overrated.

OP, if you want to buy a system, do so because it has the most fun titles that YOU want to play and research those titles from multiple sources.

[quote name='GTmaster39']When you get right down to it. Before the PS3 price drop. You had a $300 xbox, and a $600 PS3. Where are all the assholes going to go, and where are the serious gamers going to go? It's simple. And to this day, I can go on any Halo, MW2, L4D public ranked match and still hear people blaring music and being total racists, and god forbid a female joins the match then all hell breaks loose. All this behavior comes from everywhere, and I'm not going to say that PS3 is an exception by any means. But don't outright say PS3 is awful because of it. It just makes you sound like more of a fanboy then you already are. If you don't like what you hear then play a private match with your friends.

This is not aimed at you Space Cowboy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my comment did seem a bit one-sided, but that was my experience over the break. On XBL, you can flag the offenders and it'll avoid joining games with them. Is there a similar system on the PS3?

DO people still use SD Tv's?? What is this? the stone age!? only get a ps3 if you got a nice HD TV. Great Blu Ray player. dont worry about the games. All of them are great.

[quote name='mikochu']Yeah, my comment did seem a bit one-sided, but that was my experience over the break. On XBL, you can flag the offenders and it'll avoid joining games with them. Is there a similar system on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's the block option on the PS3.

[quote name='deadpool253']DO people still use SD Tv's?? What is this? the stone age!? only get a ps3 if you got a nice HD TV. Great Blu Ray player. dont worry about the games. All of them are great.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Haze, Lair and Mercenaries 2(among other stinkers) make me beg to differ on the statement I highlighted. I also firmly believe that most of the hype thrown on some of the bigger titles for the system is just that: HYPE.

Again, the snobbish attitude towards people with SDtv's is a bit ludicrous. Any game system is fine played on ANY tv that the owner of the system is comfortable playing on.

An HDtv is NOT a requirement for owning a PS3. Wanting to play the latest games and still enjoying them is a requirement and I enjoy my PS3 quite well on an SDtv. TYVM.

Moreover, a GAME system should have and play good games FIRST and do anything else it may be designed to do well SECOND.

[quote name='GTmaster39']This is not aimed at you Space Cowboy.[/QUOTE]

I know. You are absolutely correct. It was one of reasons why I switched over to a PS3 for online gaming. My wife still plays her 360 with friends only or with her mic off (due to the **holes who constantly try to hit on her).

[quote name='deadpool253']DO people still use SD Tv's?? What is this? the stone age!? only get a ps3 if you got a nice HD TV. Great Blu Ray player. dont worry about the games. All of them are great.[/QUOTE]

I still have an SD tv and the graphics are still excellent. Looking to move up to HD maybe in the summer

I love both my 360 and PS3, Owned my 360 since Jan got my PS3 on black friday and i have to say, i find the PS3 a little more fun.

[quote name='luan87us']The question isn't "Should you buy a PS3?" my friend the real question is rather "Why should you not buy a PS3?".

It only does everything without breaking too often.[/QUOTE]

Although if it does break you'll end up paying 50% of the original cost to fix it. The 360 may break about every 12 months, but you'll get it fixed for free.

That being said even I'm in the market for a PS3 now but I fear that the hardware won't hold up long enough to justify the $300 price tag.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']I still have an SD tv and the graphics are still excellent. Looking to move up to HD maybe in the summer[/QUOTE]

I play mine on my 32" Sony SDtv. I was having a little trouble at first, but once I grabbed some component cables, tweaked my settings, all is well and it looks great! I already have an HDtv in the living room (hooked up to the Wii...I know blasphemy, but it's where we "family game on") and I'm not buying another one (especially with 3-d right around the corner).

I have Both Consoles. I only play the PS3 with exclusives KZ2, MGS4, Uncharted2, and Resistance 2. Otherwise all Multis are Xbox and XBOX LIVE. To play the exclusives and blurays i think it is worth it but everybodys money situation is differ.

hey guys anyone know how to ignore predictive thing for messaging ? its so annoying it wont let me type the words i want noooo lol like spec ops... noooo only thing i know to work around it is using a usb keyboard but i dont have extra for ps3 yet :/ is there a way to keep typing the words you want ? it seems good in the body of the message but for the title it was impossible it seemed like to ignore its suggestions or just to type the words you wantttt

[quote name='ZForce915']Although if it does break you'll end up paying 50% of the original cost to fix it. The 360 may break about every 12 months, but you'll get it fixed for free.

That being said even I'm in the market for a PS3 now but I fear that the hardware won't hold up long enough to justify the $300 price tag.[/QUOTE]

3 years of XBL is already half the price of a PS3. The revenue Microsoft generates from XBL subs are for your so called "free" repairs.

[quote name='denze']3 years of XBL is already half the price of a PS3. The revenue Microsoft generates from XBL subs are for your so called "free" repairs.[/QUOTE]

Besides, the PS3 does have a warranty as well, and the only consoles that are prone to common failure are the 60 GB

bread's done
Back