Should I buy a PSP Phat for $80 bucks?

Shoki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hello All, A co-worker is selling his original PSP. Sort of jokingly I offered him 80 bucks for it. He decided to go for it. I was thinking of getting the new slim but at $170 it seemed like a lot of money. I wanted to be able to use Skype on the new one but I really don't need it so it seemed like a waste of money. That said 80 bucks seems like a great deal. He hasn't used it at all and it has ver 1.50 firmware.

same here....my wife just dropped $200 for the daxter bundle for me and I have been loving it. Honestly, though, I haven't used any of the "slim-only" features (skype, tv-out, are there any others?) and it has been kind of a pain getting CFW on it (however, it is there now). Right now they are having hella-deals on some psp games at tru...check it out if you get it.

That's a good deal. I'd recommend picking up an extra battery and a charger to go with it.

As for skype well...I haven't touched it since the evening 3.90 came out. You have to sink an additional 50 bucks to get the headset/remote combo and I'm not really interested in that.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']same here....my wife just dropped $200 for the daxter bundle for me and I have been loving it. Honestly, though, I haven't used any of the "slim-only" features (skype, tv-out, are there any others?) and it has been kind of a pain getting CFW on it (however, it is there now). Right now they are having hella-deals on some psp games at tru...check it out if you get it.[/quote]
What kind of deals at TRU? Any link to thread?

[quote name='J7.']What kind of deals at TRU? Any link to thread?[/quote]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159062

(look at the last few pages for more current prices after the drop)

I found: Loco Roco for $9.90, Lumines II for 9.90, Capcom puzzle world for $5, NHL '07 for $5, and Lemmings for $5. If you can find them, Killzone is supposed to be $9.90, Syphon filter: DM - $5 and Sid Meier's Pirates - $5.

$80 for a barely used PSP with 1.5 FW is so worth it. Just put Custom Firmware on it and buy the new God of War coming out. I've been playing my PSP a LOT more than my DS now that I have the Custom Firmware and a 4GB memory stick.

Go for it. It already has 1.5 on it so youll be able to put CFW on there much easier, and believe me there are much better thing you can do with CFW than Skype.

op- are you comfortable with adding cfw? There is a learning curve to the process and once done is very easy, but it can be frustrating, especially if you are on your own.
And if not, the psp will need to update the firmware in order to play any game released in the last couple years, meaning you won't be on 1.5 any more.

Any dead/stuck pixels or scratches on the screen? If it looks good, $80 is solid deal.

$80 is totally worth it. Put CFW on there and you will never look back. I love my fatty PSP and I haven't even thought about "upgrading" to a slim. Is there even a difference?

[quote name='Shoki']Yeah it's perfect! I am glad I bought it. Are there any recommended sites to read up on cfw?[/quote]

psp.qj.net updates PSP stories, including homebrew releases, everyday and there are very good tutorials, with links, in their forums. You can always ask for general help here too. Someone should be able to give you some assistance.

If you really want the slim, buy the phat and the slim, put cfw on the phat and turn the battery into a pandora's battery to put cfw on the slim. Then turn your phat's battery back to normal and sell it on craigslist for 50%-100% more than you paid for it.

Yep, a lot of people are willing to pay much more for an original PSP with custom firmware on it even though you can buy any one of them now and install it yourself. I would highly recommend getting the Slim.

The new model features an improved raised d-pad (fighting games are now playable though you can mod your original PSP's d-pad), TV-out, twice as much RAM (excellent for homebrew), official Slim exclusive software, and least importantly a wider range of colors.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']damn, now i want a psp[/QUOTE]

Yeah the PSP has been getting better and better the last few months. I still have a fat one but ever since I put custom firmware on it my DS has been collecting dust. I've been playing games on the PSP so much that I haven't even bothered to finish Phantom Hourglass (going through the same dungeon over and over is so freaking annoying).

If you choose to get one, you need the Metal Gear Portable Ops games, Patapon, Jeanne d'Arc, Puzzle Quest, Sid Meier's Pirates!, and the new God of War that's coming out in a few days. I'm also getting really into Final Fantasy Tactics.

bread's done
Back