Should I Buy A PSP?

Lsgun1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Considering purchasing a PSP, just a few questions

How is the WiFi and web browser? Is it like a cell phone web browser that displays basically nothing or is it alot more like a computer browser?

Which is the best to get? I see the Daxter bundle, one that says piano black 2000, star wars bundle and a core system.

[quote name='Lsgun1']Considering purchasing a PSP, just a few questions

How is the WiFi and web browser? Is it like a cell phone web browser that displays basically nothing or is it alot more like a computer browser?

Which is the best to get? I see the Daxter bundle, one that says piano black 2000, star wars bundle and a core system.[/quote]

Get the core ($169.99) and pick up a 4 GB memory stick (pro duo) for $40. The web browser is quite nice. You have 3 display modes to adjust the page you are viewing on the PSP's screen. I stick to the middle option which i can't remember the name of, but it works well :p Wifi is fine, range is alright depending on where you are compared to the access point.

The PSP web browser is pretty close to a PC's with the exception of no online video like YouTube and no sound. Sony did a great job with it.

The fat has a smaller memory that is an issue sometimes with graphic intensive sites, but the slims have more and is a bit better I hear.

Daxter has the most value if you don't have any of the items already. Good luck finding those as they are starting to disappear from stores.

Piano black is a fingerprint magnet front and back. The back was matte on the fatty. Prefer the darker contrast against screen.

No thanks to Darth Vader white. Don't care for the game either.

Can't really go wrong. Wish it was even cheaper. That's it.

I've been pretty impressed with the web browser. It's decently capable and will allow you to do some light browsing. Seriously though if you are planning on doing a lot of mobile web browsing, you might want to consider something like an iPod touch, as its browsing ability is substantially superior to the PSP. Especially now that they have finally included email, google maps, weather, etc. support for the ipod touch, even I am pretty tempted to get one.

I think the silver PSP looks cheesy and the black one is a fingerprint magnet- so I have the white Darth Vader PSP. I would like to someday get a white battery cover to remove the SW branding but in the meantime I hardly even notice it because it is on the back. I really like the white color and plus it matches my white DS.

Honestly my problem with the PSP is that it does not really have a lot of games that I am interested in. I have Jeanne d'Arc which I have only played about 30 minutes so far (not that I don't like it- rather just a lack of time) but beyond that there isn't much that catches my interest. I'm sure there's a few other titles I can pick up but i've been a little dissapointed in the games offerings so far.

But what I have really enjoyed about the PSP though is that I found I use the video-playing and wireless capabilities quite a lot. I think it's because the screen is of decent size to view videos, that they work quite well on the unit. Plus, with applications like MyTunesRSS (Which allows one to stream their iTunes library over Wifi, so you do not need to copy all your music to a memory stick) I have used it for some audio listening as well.

Good value? I don't regret that I have purchased my PSP but I may end up selling it after I have played through a few game titles to help pay for an iPod touch.

Ruahrc

I had a DS lite for over a year. A large libarary of DS games (20+). I could not get into it. I probably logged less than 50 hours on the DS total.

I traded for a PSP, about 3 months ago. I already have 100 gaming hours on the PSP. I probably play it more than my PS3, due to the fact that it is always close. They type of games for it though are generally closer to what you would find on a 360 or PS3. DS games, are like what you would find on the Wii. I think a large reason for this, is just the fact that I enjoy the type of games available on the PSP a lot more than the type on the DS. But that is just personal preference.

The web browswer is suprisingly good, and reading text is nice onthe PSP screen. But I find I rarely use it due to the text input being annoying.

It is a really nice music and video player though. If you have a PS3 it is even better, as you can stream video and music from the PS3 to the PSP. I have a media server (tversity) on PS3, which serves all my videos, and music to PS3, which my PS3 then streams to my PSP. No lag.

I also should add that the quality of the wireless hardware in the PSP (I have a slim, so not sure about the phat) is really good. In the far corner of my house, my dell laptop can barely pickup a signal, and when it does, it is around 30%. At the same location the PSP show 70%, and streams video fine.

~S

bread's done
Back