Should I buy a Sega Saturn with 2 controllers and 1 game for $30?

Dragon_Master

CAGiversary!
I saw a Sega Saturn at GW with 2 controllers and 1 game (Virtua Cop) for $30 and I was wondering if that was a good deal?

well that one game is not that great and you have to look at the hassle(Ebay) your going to have to go threw to find games for it. $30 is not alot but it is pretty steep for something that obsolete.

If anything look on Craigslist and see if you can get some more games for it or your going to regret your purchase real quick

If it works and its in decent condition, 25-30 isnt a terrible price. Being that they "don't know" if it works or not, I would suggest something more along the lines of $15 or less.

if you get a saturn, be prepared to invest a pretty penny on the good games or it will be an overall waste. Between the few AAA domestic titles and the import shooters it can be a very worthwhile purchase, but if you're not willing to shell out initially for them you'll be unhappy. The bright side of this, however, is that once you're done with your games you'll most likely be able to sell them off and recoup most of your initial outlay. Most of these games aren't ever going to be ported and their resale value isn't going anywhere.

Does everything work? If so, GO FOR IT, MAN!!!

You're not starting off with a good game (well, with the gun it is), but the system itself is a good starting point.

[quote name='TahoeMax'](a bunch of excellent points)[/QUOTE]

Also, in my opinion, the goodness of this deal depends largely on two things: which model of the System it is, and what kind of controllers it comes with. The first model Saturns with the oval power and reset buttons are easiest to mod (and also free to do), but the second version of the controllers on which the L/R buttons stick out is way, way nicer than the first. Hope that helps.

Are you prepared to invest some cash in aquiring games for it? Good Saturn games go for $20-30, and great Saturn games cost as much as new current gen games.

If you think your gonna find a bunch of Saturn games for $5-10 your dreaming. Well, you may find games for that price, but those games will suck.

[quote name='Puffa469']Are you prepared to invest some cash in aquiring games for it? Good Saturn games go for $20-30, and great Saturn games cost as much as new current gen games. [/quote]
That's exactly why I sold my Saturn. It was too damn expensive to get decent games for that system. Sold it and starting investing again in my PS1 & DC collections.

OP, if you buy it, hopefully the battery isn't dead. If so, it needs to be replaced since it won't be able to keep saves & will ask for time and date everytime you turn it on. That is a decent deal, although would be better if it had a light gun(especially since VC was meant to be played with a light gun).

[quote name='Dragon_Master']well since I couldnt test it to make sure it works I decided not to pick it up[/QUOTE]

The system's built like a rock. I completely disassembled and reassembled mine simply because I was bored. Twice. And it still works. If there aren't any obvious signs of abuse, it probably works.

Still, I'd say offer 15 like the above poster recommended. If it is a dud, half price can make the fact that you bought a dud a bit better.

Well the GoodWill I go to never accepts a lower price than marked. They are evil that way. I once saw a item for sell and it had a red tag on it I decided it was to much money for it at the time so I came back the next week to see if they lowered it and I noticed they had a sell all red tags half off I went over to check the item and they changed the sticker to green so it was not half off I was bummed.

bread's done
Back