Should i Buy or Not

Ganon00

CAGiversary!
A friend of mine is offering to sell his xbox for 75$ to me. Im unsure because of two things related to it. First, His Xbox is a 2001 and I was told by another friend that those contained faulty thompson drives and are incompaptible with newer games. My second reservation concerns the fact that Xbox 2 will be released in 2005 which would make my system obsolete.
Should I buy or not ?

tell him to give you a two week trial. Then test all the games that you have heard to not work on the old system (are you sure thats not just a myth?). My old box still works like a charm (knock, knock).

You can check to make sure its a Thompson drive they all look a bit different. Also $75 for a year of game playing is not to bad afterall 1 new game will run you $50.

That and you could just buy it and resell it if its not your thing and you'd make a small profit.

I have an XBox with the dreaded Thompson drive. it works, but it tends to freeze once every so often.

Frustrates the hell out of me, so I make multiple saves (freezing during saves, and you lose all your progress)

Eject the drive and search on google to find the Thompson pattern. If its not a Thompson, buy it, if it is, still buy it, but it will probably freeze at times

[quote name='y2jrevolution']I bought my xbox on launch day. Zero problems whatsoever. So YES, buy it.[/quote]

agreed

Yeah, buy it. He's wrong about newer games being incompatible with any drives. All games will work in any drive, although some games have problems running in the Thompson drive from what I've heard. I had a launch Xbox with a Thompson drive for 2.5 years before I got my Halo one and I had absolutely no problems.

I have an XBOX with a thompson drive and it works fine. My fan is a bit loud mainly because my xbox is covered in dust. But its always worked for me, never once have I had a Dirty disk warning or any sort of problems with it.

I believe I have a Thompson's drive (I bought one of the Xbox's a few years back with Sega GT and JSRF packine). I was looking only because I was trying to decide if I should buy Morrowind GOTY. I bought the game anyway. That game freezes a bit, but everything else works just fine (and I think that game is going to glitch a bit for everyone, just being so big).

So, I wouldn't worry about it for that. But, you have to think of somethings when you buy used 1), why is he selling, is it just he doesn't play, or is it that he treated it like crap. 2) Do you trust your frined not to sell you a lemon?. Assuming he's a good friend, $75 is a fair price.

[quote name='Ganon00']A friend of mine is offering to sell his xbox for 75$ to me. Im unsure because of two things related to it. First, His Xbox is a 2001 and I was told by another friend that those contained faulty thompson drives and are incompaptible with newer games. My second reservation concerns the fact that Xbox 2 will be released in 2005 which would make my system obsolete.
Should I buy or not ?[/quote]

I thought the latest word was Xbox Next would not run Xbox games since to make it compatible would keep it from being the end-all-be-all machine. If that is true, the Xbox will not be obsolete since you'll have at least until Nov. 2005 before the new machine hits the stores and there will be tons of games you can play; I still play my Neo-Geo every so often so in my mind it is not obsolete for my use.

$75; tough call. Its a fair price, $45 less then what a retail chain would sell a used one for and $25 less than a pawn shop, but being used its a gamble. You could replace the drive, but thats $85 for a pre-mod drive that will read xbox games; $40 to $50 for an unmodded drive. Either way if it goes bad it would have been cheaper to get a new unit.

bread's done
Back